Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Review Cheap Adjustable Sway Bar End Links

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 11:30 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I have Hotchkis sway and have broken both rear end links. And I am not nearly as low as most of the guys who are lowered.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:33 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Since we're on the subject of breaking end links BB, what does it actually feel like to break one? How's the car react/feel? Just curious.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:41 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I didn't feel them break. The ride was more harsh and less controlled. The ride height was uneven and lower than it should have been, that's when I checked and found them broken.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:47 AM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I have Hotchkis sway and have broken both rear end links. And I am not nearly as low as most of the guys who are lowered.

Jeremy,

Were your rear brackets adjusted so the links were perfectly vertical??
Old 04-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Why do you need adjustable sway end links?

There are two main reasons:

1. To eliminate preload caused by uneven height. This is the main reason that OEM end links break. When one side of the suspension is even slightly lower than the other, it causes pull on one side and push on the other. When you make an aggressive turn, the weight shifts even more and causes the force to multiple, to the point that exceeds the force rating of the end links.

2. This is not as obvious but also very important. The optimal angle for sway bars is parallel to the car. When the car height is lowered, angle of the sway bar is shifted. The bushing of the sway bar is connected to the car's body and is lowered with car. But the ends links of the sway bar is connected to the suspension upper control arm, which does not lower with the car's height. As a result, the sway bars are angled up and no longer at the optimal working angle.

Here is a picture of stock height rear sway bar. Notice the relative parallel angle of the bar:
Name:  beforelowering.jpg
Views: 1582
Size:  36.5 KB

In contrast, here is my car with kw coilovers and lowered 1.5 inch. The end links were set to stock length. Notice how the sway bar is pointed up:
Name:  IMG_7021.jpg
Views: 1742
Size:  109.7 KB

And this is after lengthening the end links and bringing the angle back down:
Name:  IMG_7031.jpg
Views: 1254
Size:  139.0 KB

Last edited by Modme; 04-10-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Update on the front end links:

The front end links were difficult to put together for a few reasons:
1. The length was extremely short: 76mm
2. The length of the bolt is extremely long: 80mm. The end link top bolt is the same mounting bolt for the shock.
3. The end link utilizes 14mm bolt for the top side and 12mm bolt for the bottom sway bar side.

The only solution was to use heim joints for the front end links. I was able to find super heavy duty metric size joints from an European company. They should arrive in a week. However, the front end links cost significantly more than the rear. It cost me around $200 for all the parts. Pics to come.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:04 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

$200 is pretty steep.

I don't remember the stock rear sway having multiple holes. Am I crazy?

OT: Has the eccentric lockout worked as advertised for you? No deviation from where you set the toe and camber?
Old 04-10-2012, 04:59 PM
Modme
Registered Member

$200 is pretty steep.

I don't remember the stock rear sway having multiple holes. Am I crazy?

OT: Has the eccentric lockout worked as advertised for you? No deviation from where you set the toe and camber?
The first image was from the hotchkis installation manual. It's showing a hotchkis sway bar but the suspension is stock. It was the only picture I can find where the sway bar is installed with the wheels on the ground. Most people install with jack stands and the suspension is not loaded.

OT: The eccentric lockout works great. There is 0 room for any slippage. The camber can only be changed with the coupling nut on the camber arm. The problem is the toe bolt. Since the toe bolt is also the spring perch, I couldn't get rid of the eccentric toe bolt. I've noticed some toe slip every half a year or so.

In terms of pricing for the front end links, it is all premature for now. I have to do fitment and testing on the it. If all works out well, I think we can get a group discount to bring the price closer to $150.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:32 AM
g35sedan5at

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
most exciting thing on here in a while, lol. im in for the rears as of now!
Old 04-11-2012, 12:54 PM
jujubii
Premier Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
was it completely separated or just a fracture?
you got the whitelines now, right? how are they treating you?

Originally Posted by g35sedan5at
most exciting thing on here in a while, lol. im in for the rears as of now!
Old 04-11-2012, 01:11 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by jujubii
was it completely separated or just a fracture?
you got the whitelines now, right? how are they treating you?
Completely broken, not cracked. Both sides. I have a photo somewhere, I may try to find and post it when I get home.

So far, so good with the Whiteline rears. I think they were about $150.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:06 PM
Hoagie

Originally Posted by jsp872
i've been holding off on sway bars actually due to the endlinks not being released for the front, but if this gets done i'll definitely buy this and hotchkis
Whiteline has both front and rear. i guess i checked on for g35 so i might be wrong! but i have hotchkis sways and i think i really need some endlinks. i haven't checked if they're broken or not but i'm having some clicking sound from the front and my stance isn't even comparing the right and left side of the car sitting on springs.

Originally Posted by surfjax87
You shouldn't hold out on the sways. Go ahead and buy them, it's definitely worth it. If you do have any problems with an endlink breaking, the stock one's are cheap ($25 or so). However, most of us haven't had any issues.
I've only seen this issue with hotckis sways!

I should really check now that you said that. i have hotchkis and remember that i had to put A LOT of pressure to move them so i can make them fit. i'm sure they have been SUPER preloaded. and with that clicking from the front, i'm assuming i have broken all four

I didn't feel them break. The ride was more harsh and less controlled. The ride height was uneven and lower than it should have been, that's when I checked and found them broken.
My ride height is uneven too. right is higher than the left. i've always thought it was my springs but that wasn't the issue. i recently started to think it might be the endlinks. i gotta check em tonight when i get home.

Completely broken, not cracked. Both sides. I have a photo somewhere, I may try to find and post it when I get home.

So far, so good with the Whiteline rears. I think they were about $150.
did the whiteline rears fix your ride height issue?
Old 04-11-2012, 09:48 PM
g35sedan5at

Originally Posted by jujubii
its true! these g/z forums have become to saturated with the SAME EXACT thing over, and over, and over again, i feel like im on hondatech, no offense. its just the amount of information about identical things is absurd. i remember in 06 things were being invented for the platform and everyone was innovative. everyday owners were turning to machining for parts that werent available yet. those days are gone...or so i thought. its just nice to see someone put their brain to use, and not their wallet. dont mind my bitter self.

BUMP! ill take the rear ones...as of last week if possible, i have no rear sway bar, my link snapped completely off some months back. i have new oem's but this is a far superior design for dropped cars
Old 04-11-2012, 11:27 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Originally Posted by g35sedan5at
its true! these g/z forums have become to saturated with the SAME EXACT thing over, and over, and over again, i feel like im on hondatech, no offense. its just the amount of information about identical things is absurd. i remember in 06 things were being invented for the platform and everyone was innovative. everyday owners were turning to machining for parts that werent available yet. those days are gone...or so i thought. its just nice to see someone put their brain to use, and not their wallet. dont mind my bitter self.

BUMP! ill take the rear ones...as of last week if possible, i have no rear sway bar, my link snapped completely off some months back. i have new oem's but this is a far superior design for dropped cars

That's exactly how i feel! I keep seeing the same threads over and over again. Sometimes I try to help out, but I wish there is more creativity and activity in the forum. Anyways, thanks for the support!
Old 04-11-2012, 11:29 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Hoagie
Whiteline has both front and rear. i guess i checked on for g35 so i might be wrong! but i have hotchkis sways and i think i really need some endlinks. i haven't checked if they're broken or not but i'm having some clicking sound from the front and my stance isn't even comparing the right and left side of the car sitting on springs.

I've only seen this issue with hotckis sways!

I should really check now that you said that. i have hotchkis and remember that i had to put A LOT of pressure to move them so i can make them fit. i'm sure they have been SUPER preloaded. and with that clicking from the front, i'm assuming i have broken all four

My ride height is uneven too. right is higher than the left. i've always thought it was my springs but that wasn't the issue. i recently started to think it might be the endlinks. i gotta check em tonight when i get home.

did the whiteline rears fix your ride height issue?
The rear end link is the same for G37/370z/G35/350z. That is why the whiteline and powergrid rear end links will work on our G37s. However, the front end link is completely different. There is no front end link from whiteline or powergrid. The only front end link for G37 is from moonface, which costs around $450.
The following users liked this post:
PNW_IPL (03-11-2016)

Quick Reply: Review Cheap Adjustable Sway Bar End Links