Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Coilovers vs Air: The Debate

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 01:30 PM
TeRRoRiFiC35

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Coilovers vs Air: The Debate

I have been going back and forth for months over this and I actually do need some help. Let me break it down for you:
1) I daily drive my car.
2) The roads in New Jersey(more specifically in North Jersey where I work) are all choppy(hoping I get a new job either in NYC or Central Jersey soon). The roads used right now are the Parkway, Turnpike, 1&9 near the airport, Rt 78, Rt 24, and Rt 10.
3) My car is AWD(rear dif hangs low) and is a sedan.
4) I will be riding on 19x9.5 +25 / 19x10.5 +32 with 225/40 fronts & 255/35 rears.
5) Car will be shown at shows.
6) Losing trunk space is not a big deal to me since I rarely use mine as is. I usually throw everything in the back seat.
7) There is a price difference between the two. My ONLY choice for coilovers is to wait for JIC Magic(I refuse to put BC Racing on) or a full Air suspension kit like Airrex and Accuair management. So it is pretty much 2k vs 5k with install(I don't play around with electronic equipment for the car).
8) I drive very aggressively even daily driving. I like to take turns at speeds that are not the recommended posted speed.
9) I have never been in a car that has air ride. I don't know about ride quality with them.
10) My car is used in the winter time and left outside. I am afraid the tank or lines will freeze up in the mornings.

So any advice anyone can throw my way I would appreciate it.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:34 PM
The Jewbag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the air system is custom built it can track (if you're taking high speed turns it matters) as well as coils

Stoof's air ride was great
Old 02-15-2012, 01:45 PM
G37Rider92649
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My UAS takes turns like a monster. I have no issues with performance. My car been a daily driver until 3 months ago but it'll be one again in 2 months. All the people that talk down on Air just simply does not know. I was in the same debate back in 2009 but I quickly changed my mind about everything once I got it. Imagine never hitting anything or scraping again, kiss those days good by. Yet you look better at shows cause your more dumped and when your parking, and you still keep performance and definitely great for daily driving. Flaws? Let me think... NONE. Maybe if you go super high speeds at the track and take some insane turns maybe? But how often would you do that? I never seen a track a day in my life and probably won't i drive hard in the streets like a maniac. Put it this way if I gave you a ride in my car you won't know I had air ride until i actually hit the switches. I'm open for this debate, til the end. This subject is my specialty and my passion. GO AIR already and call it a day. (This is depends what air ride system you go with now too, but that's a while nother subject, we all know what i stand behind and I have proofs of why I should, but I don't bash other companies in public so PM only HAHA). But since you said you want to go AirRex then nevermind of my whole talk. I say go UAS Manual kit over your coilovers and call it a day. There's really no bag out there better than UAS Bags in my opinion. Only kit I'd go besides UAS is air runner but i cant justify the 4k with kyb shocks LOL. Go with something that has been proven man. People talk about performance I seen 600whp cars running UAS with no issues. I know many ppl whom r boosted and bagged with UAS. It's proven.

Last edited by G37Rider92649; 02-15-2012 at 01:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
teonguyen (10-02-2014)
Old 02-15-2012, 01:54 PM
G37Rider92649
Banned

U wanna talk about shows. This is the best car I had ever seen in real life at any car show, which also takes 1st in everything and best. He's built and boosted and running UAS.

I'm sure many of you know who this is already This car was one of the ones that inspired me to get UAS.

UAS, Follow the BEST.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:56 PM
G37Rider92649
Banned

especially in the G/Z community, man 8/10 people all run UAS and is happy with it. We got the few 2 that has different sets up that know one really knows about but whatever. Hey its your money do what you want. Final word before I end this, AIR, and what, UAS. Done.

ps. pretty much everyone in cali runs UAS for g/z, i know norcal for sure but especially socal, ask any enthusiast around socal, we all run UAS. It's just the out of staters for some odd reason just like to try something different and or chim in with different opinions. Which is cool, but i say just go with whats proven.

O.P wish u were in socal so i can give u a ride. The ONLY thing I CANT answer u is the freezing part, i dont know i never had a car in snow lol BUT i think you just leak air if it's real cold but..iono im not scientific with this shiet but cold does something to air lol and u just fire the car back up and it'll recompress air back into the tank. Worse comes with the worst.

Last edited by G37Rider92649; 02-15-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:39 PM
Emillion45

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Going off of my knowledge of running air lines for a shop/garage compressor. If there is water build up in the air tanks and lines from condensation then yes, it would freeze. Depending on the amount of water in the lines it could expand enough to break a seal.

BUT.

The way to get around this is by using silica beads to absorb the moisture in the air. They are placed in a canister that the air circulates through before it hits the lines. The compressor tank would have a drain valve at the bottom to remove any water resting inside there.

Don't think I have seen a Automotive kit that has a protection system as such.

Not bashing Air. Just stating what I know. I would love to know if it is possible to run air while storing the car outside as a DD because I am looking for suspension options as well!
Old 02-15-2012, 06:55 PM
G37Rider92649
Banned

Wow great info!!!!

I think op will be fine, just fire up the car every few days let the compressors run it and you'll be ok. I been in weather as low as 30 degrees w my car and it was no issues at all. Cant speak for snow but I know if u call uas themselves they'll have an answer.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:41 PM
fairladyz34

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My car is kept outside here in Jersey and daily driven. The only time I've had an issue is when it was getting really cold over night. Like at least 30 and under.
Aside from that I have zero complaints about my system. Only that I have a slow leak but I've just been putting it off and also cuz I don't have garage space at the moment
Old 02-15-2012, 08:00 PM
kchu221
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
honestly, if youre thinking about going air, look into the roberta cup kits! but if you decide to do coilovers, my aragosta is for sale! brand new, ill hook you up!
Old 07-06-2014, 04:06 AM
SPDCRZ

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
My biggest concern is cornering... I want to have track days and not have the car lean... think air is still a good option???
Old 07-07-2014, 02:08 PM
ModBargains.com
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I like this debate. Seems to be going much smoother here an on any other forum ive seen. Good luck with your setup!
Old 07-10-2014, 05:37 PM
Need 4 Speed

Received 86 Likes on 77 Posts
Coilovers would allow you to fine tune. Having the air ride would be cool to easily drop and raise your car. Pricier. Airrex has a track setup for Air ride if I'm not mistaken.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:21 AM
808MIKE

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Hmm great topic! I have the Full AirRex system in my car. so I can't speak for the others!...But so Far I have had zero Issues and my car handles on rails! Just like my Coil-overs did! I know there is a lot more Bag systems coming out now. But the main ones I know of are UAS, AirRex and Air Runner! I think IMHO that AirRunner is way overpriced! and not made for handling..more for Comfort. and I personally seen air Runner Bags blow apart while the car is parked! their Bags are like paper thin! but I heard it was the Managment system Accuair causing the bags to blow. just FYI...But if u want a easy to install kit..Pretty much bolt on and run wires and lines. your set! and AirRex even has a full Track kit if u want that route! it's awesome and proven track winner! and the street kits have 12 way adjustable Struts/Shocks to have it stiff or firm. or cushy if u want! LOL ....But just my 2 cents on my AirRex system! and customer service is great too boot!
Old 08-14-2014, 09:07 AM
mexillis

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the D2 airsuspension and it handles good on my M, while taking turns and "driving" the car on backroads or what not. I also use the accuair managment and couldnt be any happier with their product and customer service. Mine have up to 36 way adjustment and I have had it set at 18 all around ( midway soft/firm) and set at 30 clicks towards firm. You can def feel the difference on turns and the amount the car sways when having a softer dampering set. On the downside you also feel the bumps in the road pretty good when having a stiff set up. I have taken my car to the drag strip and ran the same times as when I was on stock struts and lowering springs. Car felt the same only difference is now i dont scrape in parking garages or speed bumps from hell. UAS has good stuff and I would of went that route if i didnt get a good deal on my D2 set up. I also like the built in bags on the front. On the downside from a long term thought process if I did have a bag problem it will be a lot more exp to buy a full co+bag VS a bag from UAS. So far about 2-3 years on a DD M45 with no problems with my D2. "Bags are for groceries" and "static are for dryers", I say why not have both and call it a day.