Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

KW Variant 3 Coil Overs - Settings Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 09:50 PM
Sco1oter

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
KW Variant 3 Coil Overs - Settings Advice

Fellow KW owners:

Looking for specific advice on settings...just bought the system and will install soon. I have done the search thing and could not find much on what people are using for settings.

I only want to drop the front about an inch or so and probably won't drop the rear at all.

Let me know what you have experimented with, with settings and what you like/run.

Thanks,

Sco1oter
Old 02-10-2012, 06:53 PM
Sco1oter

Originally Posted by Sco1oter
Fellow KW owners:

Looking for specific advice on settings...just bought the system and will install soon. I have done the search thing and could not find much on what people are using for settings.

I only want to drop the front about an inch or so and probably won't drop the rear at all.

Let me know what you have experimented with, with settings and what you like/run.

Thanks,

Sco1oter
Bump!

No takers..?

Thanks in advance for any advice you might want to share.

Regards,

Sco1oter
Old 02-10-2012, 07:16 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I don't have KW V3 but I can offer a general piece of advice on initial settings of coilovers: start on the middle setting (8) in the rear and one or two clicks stiffer (9-10) in front. Adjust softer or harder from there to suit your preference.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:19 PM
Sco1oter

KW 3 Settings

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I don't have KW V3 but I can offer a general piece of advice on initial settings of coilovers: start on the middle setting (8) in the rear and one or two clicks stiffer (9-10) in front. Adjust softer or harder from there to suit your preference.
Thanks, BB.

Sco1oter
Old 02-11-2012, 09:51 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
how come such a small drop??
Old 02-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Sco1oter

Originally Posted by SwissCheeseHead
how come such a small drop??
Just a preference thing; I am not partial to how the wheels look sitting in the wells when the fender gap is different at the top and sides.

My focus is getting the goofy looking front fender gap fixed and playing with the suspension settings. I also have a nice (expensive) exhaust system out back and the Stillen splitter up front and I am not interested in babying the car any more than I have to over hill and dale here in East Tennessee.

Do you have any experience with the KW's or preferences you would care to share?

Regards,

Scott
Old 02-11-2012, 11:42 PM
paleryeder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I set mine as the instructions said, 9 clicks on top 1 full turn on bottom and seems to ride nice. I didn't slam mine either more the equal space around the 20's ended up 26" all around. I also installed front and rear SPC kits and rear toe bolts. Some have said they didn't need them but my toe was way off with the stock cam bolts ajusted all the way.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:04 AM
Sco1oter

Originally Posted by paleryeder
I set mine as the instructions said, 9 clicks on top 1 full turn on bottom and seems to ride nice. I didn't slam mine either more the equal space around the 20's ended up 26" all around. I also installed front and rear SPC kits and rear toe bolts. Some have said they didn't need them but my toe was way off with the stock cam bolts ajusted all the way.
Thanks, Mr. P.

How would you describe the ride at those settings as compared to the OEM set up?

Sco1oter
Old 02-12-2012, 01:46 PM
paleryeder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very close to OEM ride at higher speed at very low speed like a few mph hitting a bump or entering/exiting a driveway at an angle you can feel everything is stiffer. In the canyons hard cornering 40 - 50mph the car seems to handle better. There were corners with the stock setup that I'd get a little roll and some tire squeal that seems to be gone now running the same speed range.

I've also hit some hard bumps at different speeds to see if I was going to have the A arm hitting problem but so far it hasn't happened.

When I get a little free time I plan to go a click softer top and bottom to see If I can feel any difference. I was running 18's for a short time before the 20's and wish I could get back to the ride I had with them but I doubt that will happen by adjusting the KW's. Even that though is just a small thing on roads that aren't smooth.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Sco1oter

^10-4...

I plant to stay on 19", BTW.

Sco1oter
Old 02-13-2012, 11:08 AM
san~man

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't have the kw, but there is a minimum drop amount no matter what, meaning it won't stay at stock height in the rear even if you wanted it to do so
Old 02-14-2012, 12:42 AM
Sco1oter

Good to know, thanks...

I can stand a little drop in the rear, so long as I can keep the distance from the tire to the fender pretty even all around.

Sco1oter
Old 02-16-2012, 08:23 PM
Sco1oter

Originally Posted by Sco1oter
Fellow KW owners:

Thanks,

Sco1oter
Bump!

The German's invade on President's day. Me and the coil overs have an 8:00 AM appointment at the shop.

Any tips, pointers, warnings, words of wisdom out there..?

Anyone...anyone...Bueller?

Regards,

Sco1oter
Old 02-16-2012, 11:15 PM
icfp1980

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by paleryeder
This is pretty much where I am on my KW's. BB also gave some good advice too. I've had mine for about 7 months. Ride is great. You will be very happy! Enjoy!!! Make sure u have some friends helping with install. Lol. My team and I put mine on starting around 7 and ended around 2am. Haha
Old 02-16-2012, 11:20 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by icfp1980
This is pretty much where I am on my KW's. BB also gave some good advice too. I've had mine for about 7 months. Ride is great. You will be very happy! Enjoy!!! Make sure u have some friends helping with install. Lol. My team and I put mine on starting around 7 and ended around 2am. Haha
That's becasue you had the wrong idiots turning wrenches.

Quick Reply: KW Variant 3 Coil Overs - Settings Advice