Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Help Coilover rattle

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 07:43 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Coilover rattle

First off let me say I am not going to listen to trolling about what coilovers are good or bad or that I should buy something different or whatever. If you don't feel like helping then please just move on.

I have the Megan Racing coils and have had them for about six months or so and they have been great. Ride is good, harsher than stock but better than eibachs on stock struts. I assume I have the common rattle problem people have expressed with these and similar brands like BC Racing coilovers. It sounds to be coming from the rear passenger side and is a very unique rattle/clanking noise. It isn't over all bumps but only on certain ones.

I have quadruple checked that everything is tightened and installed right. I finally found out that I had the pre-load set wrong (or not at all) so I corrected that today and it is better along with the ride being better, but I am still getting this very specific noise over certain bumps.

After reading through all the threads on here I haven't really found a definitive answer on what it could be. I am running out of ideas and the only thing I can think of that's left is the pillow ball bearing inside one of the pillow ball mounts.

Before I take the entire strut assembly off and take it apart is their anything else I can check?
Old 02-03-2012, 07:45 PM
jamesshifflett

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I also have Megans and the same EXACT thing happened to me...Ive taken them off too many times and have checked surrounding parts but no issues to be found....its quite frustrating but ur not alone.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:47 PM
jamesshifflett

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Let me know if you disassemble the strut and solve the issue
Old 02-03-2012, 07:55 PM
fairladyz34

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Hmmm, I've got a passenger rear rattle too but im not on coils. I've been meaning to check it out but haven't yet
Old 02-03-2012, 07:58 PM
wakeboardr116

Originally Posted by jamesshifflett
Let me know if you disassemble the strut and solve the issue
I will let you know. I'm trying to decide if I want to give it a go tonight or wait until tomorrow.

Have you made sure the pre-load was set right? The install instructions that came with it never mention the pre-load for the rear so I never had it adjusted. I finally found this article and got it set right Infiniti G37 Coupe BC Coilover installation steps showing step by step instructions on installation, height adjustment and measurements

Like I said, it improved it some but it is still there in certain instances.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:11 PM
wakeboardr116

I got the strut assembly off and took the pillow ball mount off the top. I don't have the right size Allen key to take it apart and check the bearings. I'll go pick one up in the morning and see if I can't get it apart.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:24 PM
OB G

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
wake, I actually have the same clunk noise in the rear too. I used the DIY that you posted too and followed verbatim how he was preloading the rear and my clunking was really bad. But then I came upon instructions on how Pete@BC advised preloading should be performed. Basically you raise the spring bucket enough so that the spring doesn't move, then raise it another 1/4". The adjust the strut in order for it to be able to link up to the spring bucket. And that's it. I've done it and confirmed I preloaded correctly idk how many times. The clunking is alot better but it's still there. I would look at it again but it's so cold nowadays. Some guy mentioned that getting longer struts and taler spring mounts got rid of the noise...

http://www.bcracing-na.com/G37install.htm
Old 02-03-2012, 11:28 PM
wakeboardr116

Ok, that's pretty much how I did the preload. I jacked the spring bucket up until it was snug then raised it probably another 1/2 to 1/4 then adjusted the strut to line up with the mounting holes.

I have a strong feeling it is the pillow ball bearings. If you google coilover rattle this is an extremely common cause for rattling with aftermarket coils. Once I get the right size wrench tomorrow and take apart the pillow ball mount I will let you all know.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:51 PM
DaKine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Common problem with coilovers made in china. Only way to get rid of the clunk is to switch coilovers

The problem is the pillow ball mount.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:04 AM
superjer2000

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the same rattle, also mostly coming from my passenger rear side. I am on BC coils.

It's odd though, why can they make a half decent front shock (i.e. no rattles or pillow ball issues) but they can't perfect a much simpler (no spring) shock for the rear.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:17 AM
apexi957

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rub some engine oil on the mounts? I have the squeaking issue so it might be a bit different.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:36 PM
wakeboardr116

Well I made a mistake. I already had the pillow ball bearings off without having to remove those hex screws. I got those off and that just reveals where the actual pillow ball joint is. Even still everything looks fine. here is a picture of what i am talking about

CoilBindRemedy.jpg?t=1282084397

If you notice though it says to grease the areas in green to prevent noise. When I removed them they did not seem to have any grease at all. I am going to reinstall everything and grease it up a bunch and see how it goes. I may also try to make a rubber gasket to go on the very top of the strut between the strut and the car frame. The metal on metal contact could be causing noise as well.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:59 PM
superjer2000

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking forward to the results of your trial. Presumably this is significantly easier than it looks from the diagram you included as your noise (I believe) is just coming from the rear shock? (I.e. no spring to remove). There wouldn't be all of the same areas to grease on the rear shock (no lower spring mount or upper spring seat etc), so I am guessing you are just going to grease the pillow ball bearings?

As for making a rubber gasket, when I changed the rear shocks, I reused that paper gasket that was on the old shocks and I have made sure that the shocks are securely bolted to the chassis mounts. Since my noise started after a few thousand KM, I don't believe it is due to the shock/body mount.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:08 AM
BosMaSwaG37

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey is everyone on hear speaking only of Megan and BC's?
Old 02-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by dannyc617
Hey is everyone on hear speaking only of Megan and BC's?
Primarily it's been BC owners that have had the rattling issue. But any of the number of pretty much identical coilovers built in China or even Taiwan may be suceptible to these type of quality control issues.

Quick Reply: Help Coilover rattle