Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Rubbing noise after lowering spring install...normal settling or problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 07:02 PM
Dr.Pat

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Rubbing noise after lowering spring install...normal settling or problem?

Had the eibach pro-kit installed on my g37 today ($200). Driving home i was getting a squeeking sound from the passenger side when the car was rolling. Let it sit for a few hours and now I'm hearing a sound coming from the passenger side...like a metal on metal rubbing sound (sorry best way to describe it) but no more squeeking. Could this be the springs settling or because I need an alignment? Or should I go back to the shop bc they did something wrong during the install. I'd hate to get it aligned then still have the noise and have to bring it back for them to tale it all apart again (and then neevd another alignment). I looked around the tires and it doesn't look like anything is rubbing *confused*

What do you guys think?
Old 01-27-2012, 07:08 PM
Chi-City-G
Premier Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts
Could be the inside of the wheel rubbing... Metal on metal is a loud sound though and if that is what you are hearing, take it back to the installers right away. That is not normal and is not right! What size wheels are you running? An alignment could possibly fix the problem but the problem should not be thre to begin with! So go back to the installers and have them fix it.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:16 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Had the same problem when I had mine installed. Its like a rubbing and squeeking sound.

At first I thought I blew my shocks but I'm quite sure its the same problem I had. It's the rubber bushing not settled in correctly.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:42 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Should not make any noise whatsoever! When I had Eibachs, I had them installed by my dealership with no issues. Take it back!
Old 01-30-2012, 12:21 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr.Pat
Had the eibach pro-kit installed on my g37 today ($200). Driving home i was getting a squeeking sound from the passenger side when the car was rolling. Let it sit for a few hours and now I'm hearing a sound coming from the passenger side...like a metal on metal rubbing sound (sorry best way to describe it) but no more squeeking. Could this be the springs settling or because I need an alignment? Or should I go back to the shop bc they did something wrong during the install. I'd hate to get it aligned then still have the noise and have to bring it back for them to tale it all apart again (and then neevd another alignment). I looked around the tires and it doesn't look like anything is rubbing *confused*

What do you guys think?

First thing I would check is if they bent the inside rotor rock shields when lifting the knuckle with an upright jack.

The shields would rub against the inward surface of the rotors.

Worst case:
Many people fail to install the front camber arms properly.

They raise the car, install the arms, and tighten them with the suspension hanging.
What is supposed to be done, is to raise the assembled suspension untill the upper ball joint is within 2" of the fender, then torque down the upper arms at the body.
Failure to do that will damage the bushings on the upper control arms, by over rotating them.

Im not saying thats your case, but it has been an issue.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:10 PM
Dr.Pat

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
First thing I would check is if they bent the inside rotor rock shields when lifting the knuckle with an upright jack.

The shields would rub against the inward surface of the rotors.
You're exactly right...that's what was the problem. People kept telling me that the springs were installed wrong and that the shop left parts out...but I wasn't convinced because I wasn't getting any banging/clunking noises and the noises were happening on completely flat pavement. So I pulled the wheels off and looked around myself. Sure enough the rear passenger side dust shield was bent and rubbing the back of the rotor. I pulled it back and problem solved!
Old 01-30-2012, 01:32 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr.Pat
You're exactly right...that's what was the problem. People kept telling me that the springs were installed wrong and that the shop left parts out...but I wasn't convinced because I wasn't getting any banging/clunking noises and the noises were happening on completely flat pavement. So I pulled the wheels off and looked around myself. Sure enough the rear passenger side dust shield was bent and rubbing the back of the rotor. I pulled it back and problem solved!
Very common issue.
The jack goes under the lower ball joint, and it slips.