Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Coilover dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 03:03 PM
BosMaSwaG37

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Coilover dilemma

I really hate to have to create another one of these threads but I am getting overwhelmed and stressed out about which Coilover set to purchase. I thought I was convinced that that KW V3’s were going to be it for me but I hear that for the price I’d only be paying for the name and that BC BR’s would give me the same quality of performance…they even threw Tein SS with dampener on them . I had Tein SS on my 08 Type-S before and they started to makes noises every time I went over speed bumps. The ride quality wasn’t that great either. What I need is a coilover set that is going to last and not make noises or give out. I want a nice low stance minus the sh!tty ride that can potentially come with that. Those of you who are experienced in this, what coilovers should I purchase?
Old 01-11-2012, 03:11 PM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Go stance coils.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Fentress24

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have never heard a negative thing about KW V3's. I personally have Tanabe Sustec Pro's and have no complaints. No dampening but where they are set they have a nice ride. Similar to stock just slightly stiffer. I just couldn't rationalize the money difference for KW's when I do not track and just needed a drop with decent ride.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:22 PM
BosMaSwaG37

Originally Posted by Fentress24
I have never heard a negative thing about KW V3's. I personally have Tanabe Sustec Pro's and have no complaints. No dampening but where they are set they have a nice ride. Similar to stock just slightly stiffer. I just couldn't rationalize the money difference for KW's when I do not track and just needed a drop with decent ride.
I'm not doing track either. I bought my car for the street street speeds, nice look and to look good in. I want need a nice, low quality ride.

Last edited by Black Betty; 01-11-2012 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Don't post about street racing, it's not allowed.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:40 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
I have the KW V3 and I have ZERO complaints. No noises, no issues, perfect stance and great ride.

Anything worth doing is worth doing right. Save a couple hundred bucks and regret it, or be like Nike and Just Do It!
Old 01-11-2012, 03:44 PM
Chi-City-G
Premier Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts
KW V3 from all who I have heard, is worth the money and you are getting what you paid for in ride quality and function, not just for the track but have the option to change your build down the road. I guess a good question would be how long do you plan on keeping your G realistically? Narrowing down what type of action the G sees (daily driver, weekend cruiser, strictly show) may make it easier for others to suggest the correct coils...

Last edited by Black Betty; 01-11-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:52 PM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
KW V3 is worth every penny....period!

You pay for what you get~
Old 01-11-2012, 03:58 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
First of all it's damper or damping, not dampener or dampening damn it!!! There's a whole thread about it in the lounge.

Secondly, anyone who told you that KW are just like BC only more expensive is a complete idiot and you should never listen to anything they tell you about cars ever again as they obviously have a tendency to speak from their azz.

KW are without question one of if not the very best coilovers for this platform. BC, while popular among budget modders, are nowhere close in terms of reputation or actual real world use according to every single report from actual G owners. BC has or had massive QC issues with noise from rushing their product to market without adequate R&D. There's a huge thread about it (try searching, you can't miss it). There's not one single negative post about KW on this forum. Not one. However there's many positive ones.

If you are looking for rationalization to pay about $700 less on coilovers, you might choose to believe BC is the same as KW. If you want something of high quality on your car that you won't have to worry about and can afford them, just buy the KW and be done with it. Or save $700 and take your chances. But know beforehand that they are not even close to being equal quality wise. Hence the considerable price difference.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:00 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

And don't post anything else alluding to stret racing in the forum , it's not allowed.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:09 PM
BosMaSwaG37

Originally Posted by MACS
I have the KW V3 and I have ZERO complaints. No noises, no issues, perfect stance and great ride.

Anything worth doing is worth doing right. Save a couple hundred bucks and regret it, or be like Nike and Just Do It!
I actually read your thread and you were a factor in my decision to go with it in the first place
Old 01-11-2012, 04:12 PM
G37HKS

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BC = KW nowadays?

now seriously, for budget, go stance or Tanabe. for best performance go KW or HKS
Old 01-11-2012, 04:13 PM
BosMaSwaG37

Originally Posted by Black Betty
First of all it's damper or damping, not dampener or dampening damn it!!! There's a whole thread about it in the lounge.

Secondly, anyone who told you that KW are just like BC only more expensive is a complete idiot and you should never listen to anything they tell you about cars ever again as they obviously have a tendency to speak from their azz.

KW are without question one of if not the very best coilovers for this platform. BC, while popular among budget modders, are nowhere close in terms of reputation or actual real world use according to every single report from actual G owners. BC has or had massive QC issues with noise from rushing their product to market without adequate R&D. There's a huge thread about it (try searching, you can't miss it). There's not one single negative post about KW on this forum. Not one. However there's many positive ones.

If you are looking for rationalization to pay about $700 less on coilovers, you might choose to believe BC is the same as KW. If you want something of high quality on your car that you won't have to worry about and can afford them, just buy the KW and be done with it. Or save $700 and take your chances. But know beforehand that they are not even close to being equal quality wise. Hence the considerable price difference.
Very insightful, Thanks!...and thanks for the grammar corrections..ha!
Old 01-11-2012, 04:56 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by dannyc617
Very insightful, Thanks!...and thanks for the grammar corrections..ha!
It's not intended as correction of grammar, it's a correction of fact. Grammar correction on an internet forum is a lost cause, I had to learn that the hard way.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/the-lou...fe-please.html
Old 01-11-2012, 05:26 PM
TeRRoRiFiC35

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
BC Racing imo is junk in comparison to KW. I had KW Variants on my old em2 along with the BC's, there is a huge difference between the two. The only reason I took off the KW Variants and sold them was because I convinced myself I was going to stop modding the civic. Then the bug hit again and I went the budget route and boy did I hate it. The BC's within a year started making noises. The damping on them also was crap, a rough ride even on soft settings. How hard? Hard enough for me to fail inspection because everyone thought they were blown when in reality they were not.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:20 PM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Cant you match BC's and swift springs now????

Quick Reply: Coilover dilemma