Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Tokico/Eibach G37 Sedan Update/Info

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 01:20 AM
NextLevelGuy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Tokico/Eibach G37 Sedan Update/Info

I installed my new suspension setup over the weekend and throught I would post some info I found that I didn't see in the 20 or so post I read through when doing research.

I have a 2010 G37 Sedan Sport 2WD. I installed the Tokico Blue shocks that are advertised for the G37 Coupe and the Eibach Pro Kit for the Sedan 2WD. When doing the install I found the that that everything works fine on the sedan but the front two shocks will actually raise the car about 1/2" because the distance from the bottom bolt to the lower spring perch is 1/2" longer than on the stock sport sedan front shocks. This in turn raises the sedan 1/2" if you had the same springs before and after. For me it just didn't lower as much as I wanted.

Here is the info I got after measuring before and after. My measurements are from the ground to the highest point on the fender arch.

Front Left:
Before 28"
After 27 1/8"

Front Right:
Before 28 1/16"
After 27 1/8"

Rear Left:
Before 27 5/8"
After 26 1/2"

Rear Right:
Before 27 5/8"
After 26 1/2"

As you can see the front end didn't lower the 1.7" Eibach says because of the new shocks. I really want the front a bit lower so I believe I am going to cut 1 coil off of the top of the front springs. The top 5-6 coils are all completely compressed (due to the progressive spring rate) when installed and the spring is about 5/8" thick so I figure cutting off 1 coil will lower the front about 5/8" and be the perfect drop. I normally wouldn't cut coils but this just seems like it should work perfectly. What do you think?
Old 10-12-2011, 01:28 AM
Dj1ofDet
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
I'd just go with fully adjustable coilovers if they're in your price range. That way you can precisely dial in your ride height.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:33 AM
NextLevelGuy

I would go the coilovers route but this setup is in the sub $500 range and rides almost like stock sport suspension. I want a stock like ride, just lower and almost all coilovers are much stiffer and I really don't want that. Also the smooth coilovers are in the $2000 range and just way to much for my tastes. I would leave the car stock before spending that kind of money. This is just a daily driver. I have a dedicated track car for fun days.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:17 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
If you could do it all over again, the BC's wouldn't be that far off in price for you.

In any case, give it a couple of days to settle. If those springs are new, it will lower a little bit more.

I would not recommend cutting coils for any reason.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:26 PM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Wtf .
Old 10-21-2011, 02:30 PM
notalk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NextLevelGuy
... rides almost like stock sport suspension.
Thanks, NextLevelGuy. Can you give some more insight to the changes? First, was your car stock or sport suspension before the changes? Do the Tokicos "control" the springs better than the stock shocks did? (Yours is the first review I've found of the G37 Tokico replacement shocks.)

I have an 08 sport coupe. I know Tokico makes the stock shocks for the factory sport suspension, but I have always thought the factory sport suspension was over-sprung and under-damped. I understood Nissan's and Tokico's ideas as to sport shocks was different from each other, although I don't know how each opinion differed. I am looking for a shock to better control the stock sport springs. Do you think the Tokicos will help? Thanks again.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:05 PM
JEBperformance
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice write up.

Definitely as Mike said. Don't cut the springs. Give at least a weeks time for the spring to settle.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:56 PM
mishmosh

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Springs will definitely settle, but in my mind it may take a few months. But if you are saying the strut is longer below the spring perch, then you a probably right to say the ride height is increased by these struts. This is the first I am hearing about this with the tokico blues and would definitely not purchase these because of that! Either get coilovers or get new front struts.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:11 PM
cy7878

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm confused.

I just installed Eibachs on OE struts and I'm at the same height as the OP's set up. Eibach website I read seems to indicate 1.5 for the front and 1.2 in the back.

I'm at day 1 and measures less drop than that. May be the sport shock were 1/2 inch shorter than the non-sport?

My concern with the drop on OE length struts is premature wear from excessive rebound.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:19 AM
jujubii
Premier Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
or you can just pick up lower springs liek tein
ask doggy abt how he likes his (thats youre dropped on right?)

btw how are the tokicos?
Old 10-22-2011, 07:56 AM
HenryLee

any photos?
Old 10-23-2011, 03:23 PM
kcg37

+1 for pics and initial driving impressions vs. stocks. I was considering trying to source IPL coupe setup for my sedan S , but Eibach/tokico would probably be less expensive.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:03 PM
notalk

Originally Posted by mishmosh
This is the first I am hearing about this with the tokico blues and would definitely not purchase these because of that! Either get coilovers or get new front struts.
Just to clarify, if I read this correctly; he installed Tociko Blues for the G37 Coupe on a G37 sedan, and with Eibach sedan springs.

Any height differences might very well be from the coupe-sedan differential. I would not assume installing Tokico coupe shocks on a coupe would create the same height differential.

P.S. If I could better understand the performance differences between the OEM Tokico shocks with the sport suspension and the Blues, I might replace my OEM with Blues and report on the height differential, if any.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:23 AM
NextLevelGuy

Originally Posted by notalk
Thanks, NextLevelGuy. Can you give some more insight to the changes? First, was your car stock or sport suspension before the changes? Do the Tokicos "control" the springs better than the stock shocks did? (Yours is the first review I've found of the G37 Tokico replacement shocks.)

I have an 08 sport coupe. I know Tokico makes the stock shocks for the factory sport suspension, but I have always thought the factory sport suspension was over-sprung and under-damped. I understood Nissan's and Tokico's ideas as to sport shocks was different from each other, although I don't know how each opinion differed. I am looking for a shock to better control the stock sport springs. Do you think the Tokicos will help? Thanks again.
I did have the sport suspension originally on my Sedan. The Tokico's do seem to handle the lowering springs very well. My wife hated my last car and she has ridden in the lowered car multiple times and can't really tell any difference.

I have also now installed a new set of staggered 20" wheels and the wheels made a much much bigger difference than the suspension did. The ride is now about 25% stiffer than stock sport suspension with the lowering and wheels.

I also wanted to update that after waiting two weeks the front simply wasn't low enough so I took the front suspension back apart and cut 1 single top coil off of the spring. The front lowered exactly what I expected which was an extra 5/8" and rides the same. This now gives the car a nice even stance with the top of the tire perfectly even with the fender. I will get some pictures up soon of the car.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:58 AM
Rickblkg

That was a dumb idea!!! NEVER cut your springs..........

Quick Reply: Tokico/Eibach G37 Sedan Update/Info