Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Winter Tires or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 07:27 PM
netguru3278

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter Tires or Not?

Does anyone run All season high performance tires all year around or does everybody have winter and Summer tires? My front Tires are brand new B-stone 760's rear are re50's and need to be replaced soon I can order a new set to match the fronts or a whole new set of all season tires but will my summer tires run ok in the winter? my car is a daily driver. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:31 PM
mikelr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unless you have an X model you'd better park the car for the winter... the 2WD models don't move in the snow short of having chains on the tires.
I have a set of Blizzak's on my stock rims and I was not impressed with the cars abilities to traverse the white stuff even with fresh snows on.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:04 PM
netguru3278

Well we don't have very much snow here often, well last year was a first in 10 or more years but it was freak snow storm and only 4 wheel drives were out in it, Either way I have to have either rear tires or a set of tires, I won't be driving in the snow in it anyways
My Lexus doesn't go in the snow either.So should I buy 2 rear tires to match the front or a whole set of all season Conti DWS or will the summer tires act weird in the cold temps?

Last edited by netguru3278; 09-05-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:58 PM
Amon_Ra

did this past winter in northern new jersey with the OEM dunlops...honestly didnt drive much in the snow...waited till they plowed the roads...got stuck in a jug handle leaving red robbin the day after a snow storm...and spun out on and ice patch luckily no oncoming traffic...other than that it was fine (-___-)
Old 09-05-2011, 09:44 PM
netguru3278

Thanks man, I may Just order 2 rear Tires to match the front since they are almost new.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:14 PM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mikelr
Unless you have an X model you'd better park the car for the winter... the 2WD models don't move in the snow short of having chains on the tires.
I have a set of Blizzak's on my stock rims and I was not impressed with the cars abilities to traverse the white stuff even with fresh snows on.
That's bull. My 09 RWD 37S sedan is my every day car. I live in NJ and we get snow. In fact we got a ton of snow last year. And my car did just fie with my Blizzak LM-60's. I was out in every storm with my G except the first blizzard that started over the weekend.

In fact, believe it or not, my current RWD G with the Blizzak is easier to drive in the snow compared to my previous 08xS with the stock all season tires. And since I have not moved or changed jobs both car were driven on the same roads.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:26 PM
Coprolite

Sooner or later, I will consider all seasons. The summer tires seem to turn to bricks <50 degf.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:46 PM
mikelr

Originally Posted by gugarci
That's bull. My 09 RWD 37S sedan is my every day car. I live in NJ and we get snow. In fact we got a ton of snow last year. And my car did just fie with my Blizzak LM-60's. I was out in every storm with my G except the first blizzard that started over the weekend.

In fact, believe it or not, my current RWD G with the Blizzak is easier to drive in the snow compared to my previous 08xS with the stock all season tires. And since I have not moved or changed jobs both car were driven on the same roads.
Maybe the sedans do better than the coupes, mine sucks *** in the snow.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:08 AM
netguru3278

Originally Posted by gugarci

So you run that winter setup all year round or do you have a summer set also?, I'm looking for feedback just like this I need to know if the summer tires are going to act different in low temps or do I need to have 2 sets also; I don't want to buy winter/Summer setup if i don't have to would like to know if anyone else runs a all season performance tire all year and if they are happy with it or wished they would have went with 2 sets also? Thanks.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:46 AM
gugarci

No in the warmer months I use my summer tires. The winter tires go on usually after Thanksgiving and I keep them on till about early to mid March. But it depends on the temperatures.

I can only speak about my commute. But I have not had any issues getting around in the snow with my RWD G and with my Blizzaks. And if you need more snow performance and less dry grip these Michelin's are probably a little better than my Blizzaks.
Michelin X-Ice Xi2

Also by using dedicated winter tires you are also maximizing the life of your summer tires. My car has 33K miles and my stock REO50A's are still being used. But they will not last too much more into next spring.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:02 AM
gugarci

The better braking and steering performance alone is worth the cost of using dedicated winter tires if you live in an area the gets snow regularly. If you don't have room to store tires all year round your only choice will be all season tires.
All-Season vs. Winter / Snow Tires
Old 09-06-2011, 03:47 PM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Your location would help.

Summer tires near 40 degrees or so are not going to work. The compound will be to hard for traction on an every day basis. Summer tires are going to give you the best warm weather grip and performance.

All season tires are going to OK/mediocre for everything. They will perform fine in the summer, not near as good as summers, and they will perform OK in the cold, and so so in the snow.

Winter tires are obviously going to get you the best snow and cold weather performance, but are not good for warm temperatures.

So, on a car anywhere in the North, a dedicated Snow & Summer set is the best way to go. If you don't get too much snow but still pretty cold, all-season will work and save money.

I'm in Ohio with an RWD S sedan and will be purchasing my dedicated Winters in the next few months.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:25 PM
netguru3278

I'm in North Alabama it doesn't get below zero here often and this past winter was the first real snow we have seen in several years, so I may be alright with some all season performance tires, I am sure I won't be driving in the snow anyway or anything over a light dusting of it.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:47 PM
gugarci

You get snow in Alabama? If you rarely see temps below freezing and it snows that infrequently you can get by with summer tires all year round.
Just be careful when the temps drops below 40. The summer tires will take a long time to warm up. But it's doable. I use my summer tires in temps below 40 in the month of November just before I make my change after Thanksgiving. But all season tires will also serve you well.

Last edited by gugarci; 09-06-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:18 AM
AllentownG37

It sounds to me like your debate is "Do I get summer tires, or all-season tires next?" If you're that concerned, go with a solid set of all-season and you'll do just fine. While I can't speak from personal experience, it seems other members have had some success driving with the summer tires in colder / inclement conditions.

If you choose to go with all-season tires, there a few threads on here already about which to look into. I've had experiences with a set of Pirelli P-Zero Nero tires on my former car, a BMW 540i, and have positive things to say about them (with exception of the longevity). The car handled extremely well in the rain, snow and colder temperatures.

I hope that helps, let us know what you end up choosing.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires or Not?