Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Help HELP!! G37 AWD BC Coilovers maximum height

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 12:20 AM
superjer2000

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HELP!! G37 AWD BC Coilovers maximum height

I just finished installing my BC racing coilovers on my 2010 AWD sedan. Truthfully, the installation was a painful, tortuous process (but thanks to Steveo47 for help with the front struts). I will post up some of my learnings from the install to help others.

I am struggling with the height of the coilovers, especially in the rear. I had hoped to drop maybe .75 to 1" and still have the option of going to stock height.

The highest I can get my passenger rear (with the adjustment ring at the absolute bottom of the perch) is 26.88". It was over 27" and then settled a bit after I took a drive. I'm not sure how much more the springs will settle, but I'm sure they are not going to get any higher. The driver rear is sitting at about 27.38" and that is with me already lowering that side.

26.88" is a drop of about 1.44" where I was hoping to be able to get close to stock height in the winter (or at least just 1" drop or so).

FOR THOSE THAT HAVE THESE COILOVERS ON AN AWD SEDAN, how close can you get to the stock height? I called BC racing and they guy told me that I will never be able to get to stock height as this is a "lowering suspension". I swear I have read on various message boards that people could get back to stock height with these coilovers.

I haven't driven a lowered car before so I'm a little shy of making the 1.44" drop consistent across all corners. I'm also worried about what will happen if the springs settle more and I'm then sitting at a 1.75" drop or worse.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:49 AM
platinumg35x

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what rear springs do you have?
Old 08-06-2011, 01:28 AM
superjer2000

Originally Posted by platinumg35x
what rear springs do you have?
That is a great question. I am not sure. The front springs have a number clearly stamped on them but I didn't see such a number before I put the rears on and when I looked the other day I didn't see a part number but it is possible ghat the number could be on the backside of the spring on both sides.
I also didn't think to measure the springs before I installed then,

I am considering taking the springs out and swapping their positions left to right because as noted the passenger side sits lower than the driver side. I can only assume that there are differences in the springs causing this as I don't think there could be that much side to side weight variation. The passenger side spring is at maximum height whereas the driver side spring is probably .75" away from maximum.

I am hoping somebody who has bc coils on an awd sedan was able to get back to stock height or within an inch or so. Someone else besides Steveo on this board must have installed these besides me.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Dexter_Morgan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
superjer2000, PM 'foma'. he looks to have installed BC's on his X sedan and loves it. Thread below:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...s-sedan-2.html
Old 08-06-2011, 12:23 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Are you adjusting the rear strut height too? If you are only adjusting the spring height, you have to adjust he stut along with it. I just adjusted my Megan coils last night and had to do this. But you are right, even all the way out I can only get to about 26 3/4" from the ground to top of wheel well.

If you still want to get more height read this thread her how to raise the rear of my megan coilovers.... - Nissan 370Z Forum especially post #7

He reused the old rubber spacer from the oem rear spring to help get more height that he was looking for. I don't know if the setup is the exact same on the sedans but it should have something similar.

Here is what you should look for

Name:  meganfix002.jpg
Views: 1988
Size:  71.3 KB

Name:  meganfix003.jpg
Views: 1928
Size:  60.7 KB
Old 08-07-2011, 09:59 AM
superjer2000

Wakeboardr, you are better than google. I had searched and searched for a solution using every possible term I could think of. Of course, all of those searches included "bc racing".

I did what was suggested in the forum/pics you posted and I am now dropped about .75".

I am probably going to wait for another week or so and maybe drop it a bit further but not much over an inch. The ride seems unaffected so I am happy. I have the improved handling characteristics I was looking for!

For others: The springs I received were the longest ones BC Racing makes available: 255mm. I find it odd that the standard spring wouldn't be 280mm or so. With the 255mm spring, the most conservative drop without the workaround above is around 1.4-1.5". There is then around 4" of threads on the spring perch so you could theoretically drop by around 5.5" which is pretty much impossible I'm sure (unless you want your differential to be dragging on regular streets). If the spring was around 280mm you could have a drop of around .5" to 4" or so which is a pretty usable range. I can't even imagine the first kits that came with 210 or eventually 230mm springs.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:53 PM
wakeboardr116

Glad I could help.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:57 PM
GXXXV X

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
useful info thanks guys! im looking forward to buying some this winter, how do you like the ride quality?
Old 08-15-2011, 07:41 PM
wakeboardr116

For me the ride quality has been good. I've got them set on 30/32 damping (32 being softest) and they feel a little stiffer than stock but not as bad as Eibachs.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:11 AM
harp00n

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts
received it from the UK BC Racing, hope they don't mind posting it here:

-----------------------------------
Hi,

We can supply a kit that will run standard ride height. It will be a custom kit made for you. There is no extra charge for the customised kit.

?582.50 plus ?96.99 carriage. We place an air order with the factory every Tuesday and expect delivery the following Monday.

Regards, Bren

BC Racing UK - Street&Circuit

Extreme traction and response

Tel: +44 (0)1274 683633
Fax: +44 (0)1274 683636

Unit 4D
Wharfedale Road
Euroway Industrial Estate
Bradford
BD4 6SG
UK

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 02 November 2011 18:22
To: Bren
Subject: Contact Us Request

Name : Vladimir Lvov
Telephone Number : +380675763050
Email Address : g35x@ukr.net
Webiste Address : -
Enquiry : Hello!

I have Infiniti G35x '07 AWD sedan and my friend has G35 '07 RWD sedan.

Both of us desperately want to buy your BC Racing BR coilovers, a lot of people in the USA use them and love them (we are members of the g35driver.com and myg37.com).

The problem is, that we have very cold and snowy winters here in Ukraine and we cannot afford any drop at winter, though we want some drop at summer!

And it seems like your coilovers drop the car ~1.3"-1.5" at the highest settings (with the 230mm springs, I guess).

Is there any chance to adjust your coilovers to the stock height (maybe 250mm spring or some spacers?).

Thank you,
Vladimir Lvov

-----------------------------
Old 11-10-2011, 12:26 AM
superjer2000

Please post what you receive in your kit.

I have the 255mm springs with my kit but still couldn't get to factory height. I requested spacers from BC Racing - they said they could sell me some so I'm waiting to hear how much they want.

That being said, I have started to get some noises from the suspension, but I"m not exactly sure what the causes are. There seems to be a rattle in the passenger back going over washboard streets. I checked to make sure everything was tight and no problems noted.

The passenger front is also making a noise over dips or speed bumps. It sounds like the shock is blown or something (like a scratchy, wheezing noise) but the ride seems unaffected.

The joys of modifying...
Old 11-10-2011, 03:09 AM
Doggy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Quick question, Why get coils if you want to stay at stock height?
Old 11-10-2011, 04:54 AM
harp00n

Quick answer: if you use your car at the VERY snowy winter here in Ukraine (like in North-Canada, I believe)! It's impossible for our local services to clean the streets (and they do it badly anyway) - you can just stuck if lowered ;( And at summer, of course, I would go lower and stiffer!
Old 11-10-2011, 04:56 AM
harp00n

p.s. I plan to order them at March or April 2012, so feel free to be the first one who would make a special order to BC to get the "stock height" coils!
Old 11-10-2011, 11:16 PM
superjer2000

Originally Posted by Doggy
Quick question, Why get coils if you want to stay at stock height?
No way else to firm up the stock suspension on an 'x' model as the front strut mounts are different than the rwd models.

Quick Reply: Help HELP!! G37 AWD BC Coilovers maximum height