Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

About the pull the trigger...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 01:21 AM
jjasonSU

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

You buy them for bling, not for performance.
from what I gather, these are purely for the "looks " of a bbk
If you aren't fading the stock brakes then what's the point
Old 06-28-2011, 01:26 AM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Steveo47
2000 degrees is retarded! i dont know how you got them so hot. I have done more research and this is what ive come up with. This may suprise some people but D2, Alliance, Ksport, and PB Brakes are all the same thing. Raul G runs Alliance, i wonder if he could chime in. Mike is super hardcore, i would never get my brakes up to 2000degrees (mainly because i have no track near me). All those "brands" (same set up) come in a variety of prices, Alliance being the highest, while PB brakes is the lowest.

But mike, theres no reason for these to have issues with spirited driving and daily use (no 2000 degree runs through a furnace)
Raul runs Alliance because of form, not function... He's even told me he does not notice any huge improvements in braking. He does not track his car as you can tell by his stretched tires and pushed out offsets and camber... They sure do look good though, I'm not denying that.

My advice is to go with Akebonos, maybe paint them to add some "bling" factor and a good set of pads and rotors ... maybe even stainless steel lines and upgraded fluid would help and save you some money.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:44 AM
Doggy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree ^ For daily driving the akebono is more than enough. For bling factor, alliance is what i like, or rotoras
Old 06-28-2011, 01:51 AM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
ah right on. lets keep the info coming guys? anyone have experience with the other kits and didnt realize it was the same? D2, Alliance, PB-B ect?
If d2 and ksport are the same, then yes, I've driven a g37 with ksport bbk. The feel and bite suck compared to akebonos that I drive with a 370z. I felt that my stock non bbk brakes even performed better.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:59 AM
ipitythefoo
Banned

endless is another one of the companies that use the same kit as ksport, d2, alliance ect
Endless is JDM. Show me where it's made in Taiwan.
And I know price isn't everything, but the front kits go for way more than the full ksport one....

Last edited by ipitythefoo; 06-28-2011 at 03:15 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:52 AM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
^^ that was my bad on the endless. They arent the same. Tbh the mail reason I'm considering these are the goodies, as in two piece rotors all around.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:20 AM
Weiboy718

Why won't you consider AP Racing bbk instead? It has a extensive racing heritage and has been track proven. They're around the same price range for The fronts
Old 06-28-2011, 11:55 AM
Steveo47

^^ I don't know. I like experimenting. But not with ~3300 dollars. I may just get the akebono kit. But let's keep the thread going so anyone else curious can read what we are saying. How does the akebono kit measure up to stoptech or ap racing?
Old 06-28-2011, 12:08 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
AP Racing, Brembo, and Stoptech are the "Premium" brands.

Akebono is a mid range brand; decent product, and reliable, but not the best.

Ksport/etc. are the cheap brands.

Wheels would be analogous to:

Rays/BBS are the top dogs.

Work, Enkei are the mid range brands

Rota/knockoffs are the cheap brands.

High pricing doesn't mean good product. A lot of products are priced artificially high to create the illusion of quality, and this is one of them.

We've all given you the same opinion, and it seems you've already made up your mind and are just looking for affirmation.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Weiboy718

^^ I don't know. I like experimenting. But not with ~3300 dollars. I may just get the akebono kit. But let's keep the thread going so anyone else curious can read what we are saying. How does the akebono kit measure up to stoptech or ap racing?
I went from stock akebono to ap racing. It's definately a major improvement over the stock after It's broken in. Idk how to explain things very good. I can only say it was well worth it.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:00 PM
Steveo47

Well, time to look into ap racing. Thanks for the reality check team. I'll compare the prices of akebono stoptech and ap racing and see how they come out.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:12 PM
UAMOTORSPORTS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GraphiteG37S
Raul runs Alliance because of form, not function... He's even told me he does not notice any huge improvements in braking. He does not track his car as you can tell by his stretched tires and pushed out offsets and camber... They sure do look good though, I'm not denying that.

My advice is to go with Akebonos, maybe paint them to add some "bling" factor and a good set of pads and rotors ... maybe even stainless steel lines and upgraded fluid would help and save you some money.
The Alliance kit works great! We have tested it on our 370z and recorded stop distances of 67ft-74ft from speeds of 60mph-0mph... We ran these same numbers for over 30+ back to back runs!!! Zero Brake fade and the brakes kept on slowing the car down with very little deviation in stopping distance. I would be more than happy to give someone a ride in our 370z! We installed the kit in one night and that morning did a quick bed in process and then gave a few guys rides that helped out with the install. two of the guys ended up with bruises from the seat belt as the car stopped sooo hard it had them pinned forward into the belt. Again this was speed up to about 70+ and then stomp the brakes and hold until stopped! it was a crazy morning and everyone loved the outcome.

The Alliance BBK looks great and performs great too!!! I put about 10k on them with track time, demoing and they have been flawless!
Old 06-28-2011, 03:25 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by UAMOTORSPORTS
The Alliance kit works great! We have tested it on our 370z and recorded stop distances of 67ft-74ft from speeds of 60mph-0mph... We ran these same numbers for over 30+ back to back runs!!! Zero Brake fade and the brakes kept on slowing the car down with very little deviation in stopping distance. I would be more than happy to give someone a ride in our 370z! We installed the kit in one night and that morning did a quick bed in process and then gave a few guys rides that helped out with the install. two of the guys ended up with bruises from the seat belt as the car stopped sooo hard it had them pinned forward into the belt. Again this was speed up to about 70+ and then stomp the brakes and hold until stopped! it was a crazy morning and everyone loved the outcome.

The Alliance BBK looks great and performs great too!!! I put about 10k on them with track time, demoing and they have been flawless!
What pads are you guys using, and how does it hold up to a track like Auto Club Speedway (140-40 braking) or Laguna Seca? (120-40 downhill braking)?
Old 06-28-2011, 03:40 PM
ipitythefoo
Banned

While we are on topic of brakes, any recommendations of good pads for the non-akebono brakes?
Old 06-28-2011, 06:27 PM
Steveo47

Originally Posted by UAMOTORSPORTS

ah crap, you got me second guessing again!

Quick Reply: About the pull the trigger...