Old 06-27-2011, 08:12 PM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Holy shi*! I just wasted a couple g's on my bbk
Old 06-27-2011, 08:14 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Steveo47
so basically, if you were a grocery getter and occasional spirited driver (not me, but just saying) and had a BBK kit on the car, its almost better to just downgrade the brakes?
You just may walk away with some cash

But really, if you have it, you have it, but why buy something you're not gonna use?

Do you buy a mansion when a 4bdrm house is fine for your needs? (In this case, a very cheaply built mansion)
Old 06-27-2011, 10:33 PM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
im still not sure whats cheaply made about it. It looks to be made of quality material. Chime in mike!
Old 06-27-2011, 11:25 PM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Steveo47
^^ from what information? Have you had both kits on the g? Or are you just assuming?
I have stock brakes and I have two cousins (one with G37S and one with a 370Z) One has shiet offbrand bbk (not Ksport) on G37 the other has stock akebono bbk.
The off brand just looks good. Has the pads that came with it.
I've tried the akebono with both the stock pads and stoptech pads and I must say the pedal feel/bite is waaay better on either set of pads on akebono than on offbrand bbk.

Akebono bbk ftw.

No Kevin, I don't have Ksport, and I wouldn't buy it.

On the other hand, have a buddy with endless BBK on his G35 coupe and that bitch moves your organs when you brake. But then again, what do I know?
I only go off what I have driven.

Last edited by ipitythefoo; 06-27-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:33 PM
WPPJR30

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Weiboy718
Holy shi*! I just wasted a couple g's on my bbk
No you didn't.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:50 PM
Mike

Can anyone tell you a Rota isn't as good as a Rays?

No, they can't beyond anecdotal evidence, because nobody has done metallurgical analysis on them.

Likewise, a K-sport is made from a single block of billet aluminum, whereas the "name brands" are forged metals. per: KSport USA - Performance Suspension | Coilovers/Big Brake Kits/Air Suspension/Alignment Parts for Honda, Nissan, Acura, Infiniti, Ford, Chevrolet, Toyota, Lexus and other Performance Cars

But see, here's the thing. Aluminum melts at roughly 1220 degrees. per Aluminium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I also know that I get my brakes over 2000 degrees on track. I've also tried to temporarily patch an exhaust with an aluminum and it melted off street driving.

Hmmmmm you tell me.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:08 AM
Steveo47

2000 degrees is retarded! i dont know how you got them so hot. I have done more research and this is what ive come up with. This may suprise some people but D2, Alliance, Ksport, and PB Brakes are all the same thing. Raul G runs Alliance, i wonder if he could chime in. Mike is super hardcore, i would never get my brakes up to 2000degrees (mainly because i have no track near me). All those "brands" (same set up) come in a variety of prices, Alliance being the highest, while PB brakes is the lowest.

But mike, theres no reason for these to have issues with spirited driving and daily use (no 2000 degree runs through a furnace)
Old 06-28-2011, 12:17 AM
Mike

Simple canyon runs used to get brakes glowing. See G35 driver for photos. There's plenty.

Metal starts glowing at about 1400 degrees.

Here's the scary part. I'm not even competitive in my class and I get my brakes that hot.

Reading K-sport reviews is like reading reviews for bc racing and megan coilovers. Everyone who buys them are happy because they simply don't have any expectations that won't be met.

You're asking for opinions, and I'm giving you both opinion and fact. This is something I research, given I spend thousands a year on brake consumables a year.

Last edited by Mike; 06-28-2011 at 12:24 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:25 AM
Steveo47

^^
interesting info as always mike.

Im curious why the g/z community love the alliance kit (it seems on the z forums they cant get enough of it) yet im told not to get the same kit with a different name (not trying to pick a side or anything, just stating an example).

I realize these 5-6 kits which are really the same kit arent up to mikes standards. But it seems they are up to the spirited standards most of us have. Mike when you say 1400/2000 degrees, do you means the rotor or the caliper? when the brakes arent engaged, does the caliper on a bbk not cool rather quickly?
Old 06-28-2011, 12:33 AM
Mike

I run brake ducting, and I hit those temperatures.

It is the rotor surface and pad; the caliper sinks the heat away, and will eventually reach equilibrium with the rotor/pad. If the equilibrium is at ~1600, then pad surface is likely well over 2000 when you brake.

Those Z guys think they're into performance. I'm hitting these temps with a car thats lighter and with significantly less power. You can imagine the temps a G will see if you drive hard.

The stock G, even with akebonos, will fads the pads if you do a 60-0 stop at full ABS. The initial heat spike will then get conducted into the rest of the rotor/pad, and it "unfades" quickly, but each cycle of conducting the surface heat will be less and less effective.

I want a caliper that can withstand those heat cycles, even on a street car.

Do you think BMW/Mercedes/Lexus uses K-sport and its derivative calipers?

Then again, people say overheating is a non-issue, but I've seen guys hit limp mode just doing freeway runs, let alone at the canyon. Even a certain vendor here hit limp mode at the track in 50 degree weather on his FIRST TRACK DAY EVER.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:40 AM
Steveo47

What car do you drive? ive just been assuming your talking about the G. So why do you think the Z guys are into the Ksport,alliance,D2,PB-B kits? bling? I mean they clearly have some performance capability, not up to the standards of a brembo kit, but then again the price isnt near a brembo either.

Ill admit all the kits look great, im just using this thread to debate the reliability, performance of the kit of course in perspective to the price.

again, good info mike, ive learnt a lot about BBK in general just from this thread alone! thanks for participating. Im interested to hear what else you have to say
Old 06-28-2011, 12:42 AM
Steveo47

Originally Posted by ipitythefoo
I have stock brakes and I have two cousins (one with G37S and one with a 370Z) One has shiet offbrand bbk (not Ksport) on G37 the other has stock akebono bbk.
The off brand just looks good. Has the pads that came with it.
I've tried the akebono with both the stock pads and stoptech pads and I must say the pedal feel/bite is waaay better on either set of pads on akebono than on offbrand bbk.

Akebono bbk ftw.

No Kevin, I don't have Ksport, and I wouldn't buy it.

On the other hand, have a buddy with endless BBK on his G35 coupe and that bitch moves your organs when you brake. But then again, what do I know?
I only go off what I have driven.
endless is another one of the companies that use the same kit as ksport, d2, alliance ect
Old 06-28-2011, 12:53 AM
Mike

I track a s2k.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:58 AM
Steveo47

ah right on. lets keep the info coming guys? anyone have experience with the other kits and didnt realize it was the same? D2, Alliance, PB-B ect?
Old 06-28-2011, 01:07 AM
Doggy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Id look out for a used set of something else

Quick Reply: About the pull the trigger...