Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Resurface rotors or new rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 01:46 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Resurface rotors or new rotors

Need rotors resurfaced soon. Have about 4mm of pads left so I may want to get both done at the same time. Not sure if I should just have the rotors resurfaced or get new ones? Pros, cons? What would the approximate cost of each option?

Anyone know where to go for resurfacing in So Cal?
Old 06-17-2011, 12:25 PM
37drift

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brought mine to a reputable shop in NY to have them resurfaced. the owner nearly laughed me out the door. i guess turning rotors is becoming ancient practice because of the availability and pricing of decent aftermarket replacement.

he ended up doing it, but wasn't happy. $15 per corner. i feel like i should have just put that money toward a new set.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:40 PM
Ken
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
^Nothing wrong with resurfacing rotors. It's still commonly done. If you can still get decent use out of rotors that get resurfaced, then do it because it helps to save money.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:56 PM
djshortsleeve

I have my g37 in the shop today (Infiniti) because I needed the wood replaced under warranty, but I also had them do the 30k service and brakes. They offered to resurface the rotors (surprisingly).
Old 06-17-2011, 01:09 PM
A_Palaroan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ucla bruin
Need rotors resurfaced soon. Have about 4mm of pads left so I may want to get both done at the same time. Not sure if I should just have the rotors resurfaced or get new ones? Pros, cons? What would the approximate cost of each option?

Hey how many miles do you have on your car? I have 45,000 and i have a feeling i might need new pads and a resurfacing myself. I was thinking of other options but not sure. let us know what you decide to do. oh and another thing whats the average life for our rotors? i know driving habits are a big part but i would like to know a general range. thanks
Old 06-17-2011, 02:12 PM
djshortsleeve

Originally Posted by A_Palaroan
Hey how many miles do you have on your car? I have 45,000 and i have a feeling i might need new pads and a resurfacing myself. I was thinking of other options but not sure. let us know what you decide to do. oh and another thing whats the average life for our rotors? i know driving habits are a big part but i would like to know a general range. thanks
I had about 32k when I needed new pads and resurface rotors.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:40 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm at 63k and have been told from visual inspection by the dealership that I still have 4mm of pad left. Going to check it myself this weekend and bleed the brakes as well.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:06 PM
Fresh Mobile

Originally Posted by ucla bruin

Well I'm in the same situation with 5mm of pads remaining. I called up my dealer and they said its $350 to resurface front rotors and that price includes brake pads and labor. So thats $700 total with rear
Dearler said its $140 for new rotors and front pads are $107 and rear are same for rotors and pads are $97. I might as well go with new rotors...didn't ask the total for labor and parts for new rotors though...i'll do that tomorrow.

Should i just get aftermarket slotted rotors with pads combo?
Any recommendations?

I actually resurface my rotors april 2010 and wondering if i should just get the brake pads only?? Its crazy you have to resurface your rotors or get new ones when you change you brakes pads....and dish out 7 bills grrrr
Old 07-12-2011, 09:54 PM
QuickSilver08

I've got 220k miles on my truck. Put I can't tell you how many sets of pads on there. Never once had the rotors turned. Never once had an issue with the brakes. No squealing or warping. Unless your rotors are grooved I would just slap a new set of pads on it and call it good. Not saying that resurfacing is a bad idea, it's a good one, but I wouldn't sweat over it to much. O'reilly's does rotors for $10/piece last I checked.

As for the rears, I doubt they are worn that much at all since the fronts do most of the work. I'd check em and see what they look like but more than likely they are fine.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:08 PM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i only change my rotors if they are warped ..and 700 for new rotors and pads is crazy high (but what else would you expect from a stealership). if you cant DIY, find a shop that will do it for half price. man if I could charge 700 for all that, I would quit my job and do rotors/pads all day long
Old 07-12-2011, 10:24 PM
Fresh Mobile

Originally Posted by QuickSilver08
I've got 220k miles on my truck. Put I can't tell you how many sets of pads on there. Never once had the rotors turned. Never once had an issue with the brakes. No squealing or warping. Unless your rotors are grooved I would just slap a new set of pads on it and call it good. Not saying that resurfacing is a bad idea, it's a good one, but I wouldn't sweat over it to much. O'reilly's does rotors for $10/piece last I checked.

As for the rears, I doubt they are worn that much at all since the fronts do most of the work. I'd check em and see what they look like but more than likely they are fine.
I'll definitely inspect front and rear rotors myselft and take them to a local shop to resurface if need be. If not i'll just get some new pads and slap it on

Originally Posted by beerme986
i only change my rotors if they are warped ..and 700 for new rotors and pads is crazy high (but what else would you expect from a stealership). if you cant DIY, find a shop that will do it for half price. man if I could charge 700 for all that, I would quit my job and do rotors/pads all day long
I don't have tools and time for the DIY. Hopefully i'll find a shop near by to fix/clean rotors if needed.

Thanks for the input fellas...appreciate it.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:14 PM
Fresh Mobile

New front rotors/pads and labor is $550. Rotors=$140 each, Pads = $90 labor = $180 .

I called up a different stealership and they said the rotors are $110 each. Pads $100 front and $78 rear but labor is the same $180 for front and $180 for back. Total $978 for new parts. $590 to resurface/pads and labor for front and back at same dearler. Infiniti of Manhattan want $1100 for new front and rear rotors/pads and labor OMFG!!!!! I called them out of curiousity.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:43 PM
RYs06MT

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Put Alex's emblems on your car and maybe a BMW dealership will do it for free! The joys of free maintenance.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:35 PM
Fresh Mobile

So did some checking around and here are my options....
#1 Dealer will charge $540 to resurface rotors supply brake pads and labor? Upside towards price is it's from the dealer who know what to do and OE parts.

#2 Firestone (New Tires, Auto Repair & Maintenance | Firestone Complete Auto Care) will charge me $400 to resurface rotors, supply brake pads(wagner) and installation. Might conside this opition. But not sure about wagner pads???

#3 Last option i buy the hawks pads for $158/ or Akebono ProACT Cermic $150 and local shop resurface rotors and install brakes for $438 hawk/$430 Akebono ...$280 to resurface rotors and brake installation. Don't know sh*t about local shop and don't trust any shop that easily. I rather pay the extra and have the dealer do it. So i'll be at ease so this option might not be considered.

Last resort...
I did resurface the rotors april/2010 so if i have to get new rotors then I'll just buy the SP Performance Cross drilled and slotted rotors or SP Diamond Slotted rotors and Hawk Cermic and have local shop install both for $120 and call it a day.

I'll have firestone do a free brake inspection on sunday since i have a coupon :0) and see if resurfacing is possible. Have appointment with dealer for Monday and firestone you can do walk ins.