Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Two piece rotors worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 07:35 PM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Two piece rotors worth it?

Upgrading my G37x brakes (the smallest out of all the gs) with the akebono kit. Now the kit with blanks and oem pads ect is around 1400 bucks. For 500 i can add two piece front rotors, a total of 14 pounds saved as well as some increased cooling. Now i have no track in my area, but i do hit the drag often, and in the summer i do some pretty aggressive driving around the mountains.

Is the 500 bucks worth it? will they create any noticable different if i dont hit the track? Mainly any noticable difference in acceleration? or would the 500 bucks be better spend someplace else?

Thanks team
Old 04-27-2011, 06:04 PM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
bump it up
Old 05-07-2011, 03:59 AM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Fairly nice questions and no answer. I hate when that happens.

Free bump.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:27 AM
4drScreamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definitely lighter and cooler rotors will be beneficial. I have the Akebonos and love them. I have no problems with them and I don't track my car either (at least not yet). Do I think they are worth $500 more than the others - definitely. Increased acceleration? Not noticeably different. The other thing to consider is that I'm in SoCal and your in the great white north. Our temps are pretty consistent around here, but the desert areas can get scorching. The extra cooling benefit may only help you for part of the year. The rest of the year your ability to cool down the standard rotors with air flow is greater. Even when spirited driving or dragging. I'm not sure if this helps you much because it's pretty much a personal decision on where to place value on your $500, but I don't see any negative to the purchase of what I consider a better rotor setup. Good luck!
Old 05-07-2011, 10:36 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Steveo47
Is the 500 bucks worth it? will they create any noticable different if i dont hit the track? Mainly any noticable difference in acceleration? or would the 500 bucks be better spend someplace else?
Thanks team
I have the RB 2-pc front, i felt a little change in suspension and steering response, but really not much in the way of acceleration. The rear wheels are turning only slightly heavier rear rotors (compared to the non-Ake set-up), so there's not much loss there IMHO.

As for cooling, they do provide better cooling primarily due to the internal vanes (which you could get from other premium 1pc rotors) but you'll only see the cooling effects at the limits.

For daily driving, nada. For drag racing, you'll never get the rotors hot enough to necessitate it. As for the occasional spirited mountain driving, base it on how your current set-up works. Have you boiled your brake fluid? Get better fluid. Have you outgrown the pads? Try more aggressive. You can also try better tires.

Oversimplifying, but it's shedding a little more light on the subject.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
What Mike said. I paid big bucks for just a front pair of RB 2 pc. rotors. Does it make any significant or noticeable difference in daily driving? Not really. If you track it, yes. So "worth it" is subjective to what's important to you and your pocketbook.

I'll be spending big bucks on the rears too soon. I love them. That's just me and what I choose to spend some of my modding money on. It's worth it to me.