Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

opinions on Tanabe Sustec coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 10:47 AM
like_a_g37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
opinions on Tanabe Sustec coilovers

I have read that the Tanabe Sustec coilovers are better than the stock suspension on the S model. Can you confirm this?

Also, I used to love the suspension on my 2006 Mercedes C55 AMG. How would the Tanabe Sustec coilovers on the G37 compare to the suspension on the 2006 Mercedes C55 AMG?
Old 04-08-2011, 10:58 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
"Better" is totally subjective. Yes, they improve the handling. No they don't ride better. I never drove a C55 so I can't make any comparison there.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:06 AM
like_a_g37

Originally Posted by Black Betty
"Better" is totally subjective. Yes, they improve the handling. No they don't ride better. I never drove a C55 so I can't make any comparison there.
You are saying that the tanabe sustec's don't ride better?

Are you saying that I'm still going to experience the sloppyness and bouncyness of the base G37 suspension while driving down the road even if I have upgraded it with the tanabe sustec coilovers?
Old 04-08-2011, 11:38 AM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
^^ you wont experience the same sloppiness. They will improve road feel, they will not be as comfortable as stock though.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:51 AM
Doggy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just get some tein coilovers. But the tanabe are the more softer coilovers from what I've heard. There's no dampening which is why I wouldn't get them. But I've heard people say that they so ride better than stock. But about the Benz, isn't the ride stiff?
Old 04-08-2011, 11:57 AM
like_a_g37

Originally Posted by Steveo47
^^ you wont experience the same sloppiness. They will improve road feel, they will not be as comfortable as stock though.
If less sloppiness means less bouncyness then that sounds like what I want.

For suspensions I really like AMG and M3 sport suspensions.

Are the sustec coilovers like these suspensions?

Or do the sustec coilovers ride more like the suspension on the original Porsche Boxster which was harder and more fatiguing?
Old 04-08-2011, 12:43 PM
like_a_g37

Originally Posted by Doggy
Just get some tein coilovers. But the tanabe are the more softer coilovers from what I've heard. There's no dampening which is why I wouldn't get them. But I've heard people say that they so ride better than stock. But about the Benz, isn't the ride stiff?
"no dampening" sounds like a harsh ride.

When I think "dampening" I think "shock absorption."

Is additional shock absorption provided by a different component, is shock absorption removed, lessened or just managed differently?
Old 04-08-2011, 01:49 PM
InspiredMan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Tanabe coilovers are good for daily driving. Better than stock suspension while still maintaining a smooth ride. There are lots of threads on the subject
Old 04-08-2011, 02:08 PM
like_a_g37

Originally Posted by InspiredMan
The Tanabe coilovers are good for daily driving. Better than stock suspension while still maintaining a smooth ride. There are lots of threads on the subject
I guess the only way to know for sure would be to test drive a set.

Is there any way to do this?

Also - I don't think anyone has done a compare/contrast to the suspension used by AMG or BMW M cars....
Old 04-08-2011, 03:13 PM
jmlenz

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doggy
I assume you mean no adjustable dampening? Anyways, read around the forum, the sustec pros are one one the highest rated/reviewed coilovers out there for the G. From reviews they have perfectly matched springs/dampers but they have are built for a purpose...mild/moderate street performance. No 32-way adjustability, no pillow mounts, softer rates, etc. They are close to stock ride comfort as you will find in coilovers, while still improving handling and ride characteristics. They are not made for the track or someone that really wants to adjust or tweak their suspension to the nth degree. I have ordered these for this various reason but have not installed them yet.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:42 PM
like_a_g37

Originally Posted by jmlenz
I assume you mean no adjustable dampening? Anyways, read around the forum, the sustec pros are one one the highest rated/reviewed coilovers out there for the G. From reviews they have perfectly matched springs/dampers but they have are built for a purpose...mild/moderate street performance. No 32-way adjustability, no pillow mounts, softer rates, etc. They are close to stock ride comfort as you will find in coilovers, while still improving handling and ride characteristics. They are not made for the track or someone that really wants to adjust or tweak their suspension to the nth degree. I have ordered these for this various reason but have not installed them yet.
Thanks jml - sounds like a definite upgrade, proven product and good price point