Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Eibach with 19" or 20" rims..

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 05:32 PM
datacenter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eibach with 19" or 20" rims..

I have a 2009 G37x and I'm going to lower it with a Eibach spring kit part #6394.140. Its looks like this will lower the front 1.9" and the 1.6" in the rear.

After this is complete, I'm headed to get some new rims/tires and I need some advice to the experts on here.

My questions are.....

1) Are the 19's are going to be a better ride than 20's? I still want a good comfort level.

2) I wanted a slightly wider tire/wheel in the rear, any drawbacks with this setup?

3) I realize I'm going to need an alignment after the springs are installed, correct?
Old 03-08-2011, 05:38 PM
SRG

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1. yes, your ride will be a little bit less in comfort...the percentage is less then 15%.
2. definitely get a slightly wider tire in the rear...no drawbacks.
3. yes, definitely get an alignment after the springs are installed...some people say get it about a week after the spring installation for the springs to settle...so either right after, or about a week after.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:41 PM
simpson_G37X

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
i just ordered my eibachs for the AWD aswell. im interested in this topic in the near future

yes you will need an alignment. you wont be able to get into factory specs without a camber kit, but most of the AWD guys i asked about the eibach didnt bother with a camber kit. i dont know wether just maxing out the factory camber kit would line everything up?
Old 03-08-2011, 06:51 PM
jran76

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by datacenter
I have a 2009 G37x and I'm going to lower it with a Eibach spring kit part #6394.140. Its looks like this will lower the front 1.9" and the 1.6" in the rear.

After this is complete, I'm headed to get some new rims/tires and I need some advice to the experts on here.

My questions are.....

1) Are the 19's are going to be a better ride than 20's? I still want a good comfort level.

2) I wanted a slightly wider tire/wheel in the rear, any drawbacks with this setup?

3) I realize I'm going to need an alignment after the springs are installed, correct?
Originally Posted by SRG
1. yes, your ride will be a little bit less in comfort...the percentage is less then 15%.
2. definitely get a slightly wider tire in the rear...no drawbacks.
3. yes, definitely get an alignment after the springs are installed...some people say get it about a week after the spring installation for the springs to settle...so either right after, or about a week after.

Just to clarify one thing.... Since you have an AWD X, you need to keep the overall F/R tire diameter as close to the same as possible. This will cause the least amount of potential issues with the AWD system. The actual tire size will depend on if you choose 19's or 20's. For 20's, I think the closest sizes you can find are 245/35 (F) and 285/30 (R).

Originally Posted by simpson_G37X
i just ordered my eibachs for the AWD aswell. im interested in this topic in the near future

yes you will need an alignment. you wont be able to get into factory specs without a camber kit, but most of the AWD guys i asked about the eibach didnt bother with a camber kit. i dont know wether just maxing out the factory camber kit would line everything up?
There is very little camber adjustment from the factory, and it just comes down to how much tire wear you want to deal with. As mentioned, you will be out of spec even with the Eibach drop. The spec is a pretty wide range, and you can get close to the upper spec without a camber kit. The biggest thing is to get an alignment and get the toe in spec, and this will limit the amount of tire wear more than anything. Toe has a pretty good adjustment from the factory, and will help reduce tire wear more than anything else anyway. I would personally do a camber kit on the rear. It is too cheap and easy not to. That, along with a good alignment to get the toe in order, will go a long way....
Old 03-09-2011, 12:13 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
1) 19's will be a better ride than 20's in the comfort department.

2) I don't see any drawbacks fro running a staggered set up with the X. It will actually look 10X better IMO.

3) definitely get an alignment ...... after a couple of weeks. Let everything settle in first.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:21 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
wider you shouldnt have any problems with but keep the tire size the same..
Old 03-10-2011, 11:43 AM
datacenter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the help guys.. Looks like i'm going to stick with the 19" rims..

Though there are a ton of places online to purchase new wheels, I would like to see them first..

Can anyone recommend a wheel shop in the Chicago area with a LARGE selection?
Old 03-15-2011, 10:07 AM
mitmot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an AWD coupe and was looking into doing this as well. My only concern is I live in the Northeast and with all the potholes, I'm afraid the drop would damage my fender/bumper. Anyone have any experience with this?

Also, would there be any reason to do a drop and not get rims? The ones I want are out of my budget at the moment...