Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Help Wheel/Tire past my fender???

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 03:59 PM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by jran76
I gotta say, I am not sure. The GT-30 was only officially offered in a 20x9.5" +35 with inset A. This should give you enough clearance to clear the BBK with no issues and no spacers. No one else has had an issue with this same size GT30, and I know of at least 2 sedans, and 5 coupes running the same setup with sport brakes. It leads me to believe something is different with your wheels. I think you need to do one of two things, and both involve pulling the wheels off the car. Either pull off a wheel and look on the inside by the hub to see if it has the size/offset forged into the wheel, or put the wheel on a flat surface and measure the width and offset.

I would not normally expect alignment issues after a brake kit install unless things go terribly wrong. The fact both sides are the same leads me the believe it is not a result of alignment changes during the BBK install. I am pretty sure you have a wheel problem, or you just need to lower it and see how things work out.
You're right... I don't know of the GT30s being offered in a more aggressive offset than +35 & +37 ... but anything is possible. I think it could be his offsets too... Kinda strange that he got these off a guy who owned a sedan as they would have been poking out even more with sedan fenders.
Originally Posted by JohnnysG
So you think that getting an alignment won't solve anything cause I just called up a few places.

I'm really bugging out now because idk what to do.. ugh
Just take your wheels off right now and solve this mystery! And post a pic of the backside of the wheel face for us to see.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:59 PM
jran76

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even sedans? The guy I bought them from bought them new and had an older sedan like 07 I think
On the 2nd Gen G:
**The 07-08 G35 sedan did not have the Akebono sport brake option, but they can be retrofitted with no issues.
**08+ G37 coupe and 09+ G37 sedan use the same Akebono sport brakes and related parts.

If someone had the Akebono sport brakes on an 07-08 sedan, it did not come that way from the factory. It is a strait forward swap, and is pretty common on the 07-08 sedans. You just need the brake related parts on a 08+ coupe or 09+ sedan. There are several 350Z and G35 owners that run this kit also, but it requires a small adapter for the front caliper.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:01 PM
GraphiteG37S

My car is non-sport though so don't we have different suspension? IDK if that's the problem but still it shouldn't have anything to do with this? Do I have to take my wheel off to see what it says? It's raining down here so I'll have to wait..
Even if your suspension is nonsport it shouldn't push your wheels out past the fender with those offsets.. You don't have any cover where you can pull there wheel off quick and take a look?
Old 02-28-2011, 04:03 PM
JohnnysG
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
On the 2nd Gen G:
**The 07-08 G35 sedan did not have the Akebono sport brake option, but they can be retrofitted with no issues.
**08+ G37 coupe and 09+ G37 sedan use the same Akebono sport brakes and related parts.

If someone had the Akebono sport brakes on an 07-08 sedan, it did not come that way from the factory. It is a strait forward swap, and is pretty common on the 07-08 sedans. You just need the brake related parts on a 08+ coupe or 09+ sedan. There are several 350Z and G35 owners that run this kit also, but it requires a small adapter for the front caliper.
His Sedan was 07' though I believe... not 09+

and Kverd, I bought the WHEELS from BEERME on this forum (i just sent him a not so nice message..:/) and the brakes/rotors from DENISHOT on g35nyc.com... just so you dont mix anything up
Old 02-28-2011, 04:05 PM
JohnnysG
Registered Member

Originally Posted by GraphiteG37S
Even if your suspension is nonsport it shouldn't push your wheels out past the fender with those offsets.. You don't have any cover where you can pull there wheel off quick and take a look?
I'm gonnna try... I've never done this by myself though hahahaha... I'm not going to take off the fronts because they are really torqued, so I'm going to try the back rim/tire and see what I can do
Old 02-28-2011, 04:18 PM
jran76

Originally Posted by GraphiteG37S
Jran: what does the "J" represent after the offset number on the sticker? And looking at my sticker it says "A-18", so I'm assuming that is for maximum BBK clearance? Correct me if I'm wrong...
The "J" is related to the shape of the cross-section of the wheel and usually follows the width. The "A-18" does indicate that it has inset "A" on the wheel. Inset A is always maximum BBK clearance on a Volk wheel; although some inset A wheels will not clear our brakes (any Inset A on the GT-30 should clear the front sport brakes with no issues). I am not sure what the second number means after the inset. I have seen 4-5 Volk labels and they all have some numbers or letters after the letter that states the inset type. I think it probably has to do with the design or mold that is used to form the wheel.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:22 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
LOL at all the bad advice in this thread. And who said lowering wont help? You win the award.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:25 PM
GraphiteG37S

His Sedan was 07' though I believe... not 09+

and Kverd, I bought the WHEELS from BEERME on this forum (i just sent him a not so nice message..:/) and the brakes/rotors from DENISHOT on g35nyc.com... just so you dont mix anything up
Dude, just unbolt one of the rear wheels and take a look and snap a quick picture.. Lol

The "J" is related to the shape of the cross-section of the wheel and usually follows the width. The "A-18" does indicate that it has inset "A" on the wheel. Inset A is always maximum BBK clearance on a Volk wheel; although some inset A wheels will not clear our brakes (any Inset A on the GT-30 should clear the front sport brakes with no issues). I am not sure what the second number means after the inset. I have seen 4-5 Volk labels and they all have some numbers or letters after the letter that states the inset type. I think it probably has to do with the design or mold that is used to form the wheel.
I get it now.. Thank you for explaining.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:25 PM
JohnnysG
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Kidcane
LOL at all the bad advice in this thread. And who said lowering wont help? You win the award.
..So what's your advice...?

Anyways, lifted my car... attempted to unscrew the lugs with no success, so I'm going to wait for my dad to unscrew them I guess..
Old 02-28-2011, 04:27 PM
GraphiteG37S

Originally Posted by Kidcane
If you know so much why don't you chime in with some good advice.. If camber is kept the same and lower the car the wheels will still hit the fenders.. Need negative camber to fit wheels that are rubbing.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Until we can verify what the wheel size and offset are then I would also be guessing but I am not going to recommend swapping hubs and rotors or spacers. Derp derp.

Last edited by Kidcane; 02-28-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:49 PM
JohnnysG
Registered Member

Ok.... I managed to take the rear wheel off, where are the pictures you requested..

Idk how that will help but ok.

HOW do I measure the offset/width? what am I measuring?
Old 02-28-2011, 05:10 PM
jran76

Ok.... I managed to take the rear wheel off, where are the pictures you requested..

Idk how that will help but ok.

HOW do I measure the offset/width? what am I measuring?
Weird, the width and offset should have been stamped right next to the "20x......J" They would normally stamp it on that open plate when the wheel was assembled with its barrel.

To measure offset, you need to first find the center line of the wheel, and measure how far the backspace is from the centerline. You are probably not going to be able to figure out the exact offset, but if you take your time doing the measurements, you should be able to get within 1-2mm.

Here is a link:
https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html
Old 02-28-2011, 06:23 PM
JohnnysG
Registered Member

I measured the wheel width and it's 10.5, I measured the offset and got around 32mm.. I did 6.75-5.5 = 1.25 and times that by 25.4 and I got 32mm.. so I mean it's not exact, but you also said it won't be exact
Old 02-28-2011, 06:38 PM
LizardBreath

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it wouldnt be the wrong offsets those are the right offsets for volk wheels. Bring it to a shop is your solution istead of doing anything else. Regardless of what anyone says i would think it has to do with the brakes/rotors not prop installed. which could lead to the wheel poking out like that. I read through this whole post and the main thing that has changed to the car were the brakes.......therefore regardless what anyones says I would double check those to make sure they were installed properly and that the different brakes dont effect anything.

Quick Reply: Help Wheel/Tire past my fender???