Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Help Powder Coating my Stockies...I need your help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 04:27 PM
SRG

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Powder Coating my Stockies...I need your help!

Ok....Got the drop, getting the spacers soon....i'm definitely not going to be spending $2500-$4000 on new rims and tires, so next best thing, pc'ing my stockies. I need all of your help to make the best decision, i've seen gold stockies on black cars that look so dope and black which i dont know if i wanna go black on the stock rims....I was actually thinking like a black chrome finish (pic below) which matches pretty close to the GTR dark rims...Let me know what you guys think.

heres my car now...

This is the color i'm thinking of doing...

HERES ANOTHER OPTION:It's a dark bronze color

Last edited by SRG; 01-20-2011 at 05:51 PM. Reason: added another color option
Old 01-20-2011, 04:31 PM
jarborn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That finish would look SICK on your car..
Old 01-20-2011, 04:33 PM
SRG

Originally Posted by jarborn1
That finish would look SICK on your car..
yeah? you think?
Old 01-20-2011, 04:50 PM
jarborn1

Originally Posted by SRG
yeah? you think?
Yea sorry i should have clarified, the dark GTR color would be bad *** on your car lol..

The "black chrome" picture that you posted looks a little lighter then typical black chrome... for reference i think if you look online there is a "black chrome" emblem set for infiniti, that color would be good..

Old 01-20-2011, 04:50 PM
jarborn1

Now that i look at them both, the emblems look pretty similiar.. maybe just slightly darker..

I say go GTR finish!
Old 01-20-2011, 04:54 PM
FukinG37S
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Careful with the powder coating.. I was going to do this myself so I learned a lot about it, and decided against it.

Ok, stripping the wheels first.. Ya this can mess them up, but if a professional is doing it then it should be ok.
Repainting the wheels will add weight and thickness... May be hard at first to fit around those studs/lugs... In turn messing up the finish

Now the bad park... Powder coating is a baked on finish.. This means the RIM (wheel) has to be heated up to a certain degree of temp..

This can harm the wheel itself, and potentially make it weaker...

So, all in all, I wouldn't powder coat it... May you can find some high gloss pearlesence paint to go on them instead of powder coating...

But its all up to you of course, and this is just what i've "found out" about it.. Of course I spoke with 20+ year veterans on the powder coating stuff... So
Old 01-20-2011, 04:56 PM
SRG

Originally Posted by FukinG37S
Careful with the powder coating.. I was going to do this myself so I learned a lot about it, and decided against it.

Ok, stripping the wheels first.. Ya this can mess them up, but if a professional is doing it then it should be ok.
Repainting the wheels will add weight and thickness... May be hard at first to fit around those studs/lugs... In turn messing up the finish

Now the bad park... Powder coating is a baked on finish.. This means the RIM (wheel) has to be heated up to a certain degree of temp..

So, all in all, I wouldn't powder coat it... May you can find some high gloss pearlesence paint to go on them instead of powder coating...

But its all up to you of course, and this is just what i've "found out" about it.. Of course I spoke with 20+ year veterans on the powder coating stuff... So
so pretty much you're just making me reconsider LOL
Old 01-20-2011, 05:22 PM
Z gave way to G

Dark bronze dude!!
Old 01-20-2011, 05:25 PM
FukinG37S
Banned

Well i figured that, and to be honest I did reconsider myself.. If you really want to go that route (I REALLY want black wheels too on my 19'') try something different aside from powder coating. There may be an expert on it, on the forums, that can justify some reasons that you may be better off powder coating...

However, this is what I found out, and I didn't like it either lol
Old 01-20-2011, 05:33 PM
Z gave way to G

....something to think about; BMW has been using powder clearcoats on some of their vehicles for a long time now. Powder coated aluminum alloy exterior panels, just like our alloy stockies. I have never heard of the powder coating process making wheels weaker, but I can't say for sure that this statement is false. Yes it is a heated process to cure the paint, but so is any refinishing process done at most collision shops. Granted the cure temps in a collision shop spraybooth are around 170-180 degrees F and I know the powder is baked at a higher temp, just not sure how high....
Old 01-20-2011, 05:46 PM
SRG

Originally Posted by Z gave way to G
Dark bronze dude!!
i knowww i'm considering that color too! I just dont want it to look ricey...
Old 01-20-2011, 08:17 PM
Luke B.E

black chrome !!!FTW
Old 01-20-2011, 08:31 PM
The Jewbag

Originally Posted by FukinG37S

Your 20+ year veteran should reconsider his career.

Powdercoating requires baking the wheel at 200 degrees for about 10 minutes. You're telling me 200 degrees for 10 minutes compromises the integrity of an alloy wheel that goes through stress testing. Powdercoating is completely safe.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:36 PM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the debate about powder coating being safe is as long as the manual vs auto debate. always had great results with powdercoated wheels though.

i havent heard great things about bonehead. wheels america is legit, more expensive but all they do is wheels.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:42 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Bronze...doOOoOeet!

Quick Reply: Help Powder Coating my Stockies...I need your help!