Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Brake Rotors Don't Warp

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 10:32 AM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Neal376
A 1999 Grand vitara I serviced had a completely inoperable front left wheel. upon further inspection we found that the disc rotor was so deformed that it was jammed up against the caliper bracket. With the rotor removed and placed on a flat surface, it was clear to the naked eye that the surface was severely distorted.

The car was driven by a young graduate student who did complain of various braking issues but was too busy to bring the car in.

resurfacing the rotor resolved the issues.

----------------
in the country I worked in, new rotors were prohibitively expensive and were not replaced until they were potato chips
If any rotor was somehow so severely deformed that it could easily be seen with the naked eye, it could not possibly be resurfaced and put back into service. If you're a mechanic, you should already know this. The minimum thickness of the rotor would be well under specification after cutting it. Any mechanic who knows a spark plug from water pump would know this simple fact.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:55 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MSCA
I'm saying that you agree with me. Read the thread again if you continue to fail in your understanding of the discussion.
If:
A = B
does
B = A
?
You've given no evidence at all. The only thing you've given is your own opinion and a few pictures of cracked rotors. You've done nothing to disprove the authors of the links provided within. If anyone is spreading misinformation here, it's you.
Simple therodynamics. Given your course of study, I would hope you have a basic understanding of physics and that you understand a few thingsl:
1. stuff expands and contracts as they heat up and cool down
2. stuff cools via radiation, conduction, and convection
3. thermal stress breaks stuff

You don't seem to be able to apply these 3 basic concepts to brake rotors. Which of those basic physics concepts are simply my opinion?
All of the above. I worked as a professional tech for years after going to school for automotive technology. As much as I liked it, I wanted more out of life, so I got involved in automotive engineering, but decided to complete both a BS and MBA. Today, I'm in management at a blue chip company. I still wrench on cars all the time though... Thanks for taking an interest in my background.
So, you tell people what to do, but don't actually do it yourself... I see a trend here.
Lets stick to the topic of brakes. No need to try and instigate more arguments. You're very transparent.
A simple yes or no will suffice, and we'll leave it at that.

Regarding stoptech:

Their solution to my situation would be to increase brake mass with a BBK. It would bring the equilibrium of the entire system up to a point where there is not enough thermal stress to constantly break rotors. The problem here, is that there are some disadvantages to this.

1. Increased unsprung mass. My track car's engine only makes about 160 lb/ft of torque. Increasing unsprung mass has a very noticable effect
2. cost. At the price I get rotors, I'd need to pop about 250 rotors to break even with the initial cost of the BBK. By the time you factor in consumables, the break-even point is even higher at closer to 400 rotors. This figure is not skewed. The high price of a BBK compounded with the low price of my rotors just makes it seem that way. Cost of time is not factored in, but it isn't an issue changing a rotor between sessions.

You've still failed to show that:

1. brake rotors don't warp (when clearly they do, as refuted by EVERY other poster in this thread as well as direct hard evidence in the form of pictures)
2. blanks are better than non-blanks.

Do you have an opinion on cryogenically treated rotors?
Old 12-29-2010, 11:44 AM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike

Simple therodynamics. Given your course of study, I would hope you have a basic understanding of physics and that you understand a few thingsl:
1. stuff expands and contracts as they heat up and cool down
2. stuff cools via radiation, conduction, and convection
3. thermal stress breaks stuff

You don't seem to be able to apply these 3 basic concepts to brake rotors. Which of those basic physics concepts are simply my opinion?
Oh, of course I understand those three simple concepts. And nowhere have I argued against any of them. But of course the subject at hand isn't as simple as you're trying to lead us to believe. Your opinion comes into play well beyond simple and basic concepts such as the ones you listed above.

So, you tell people what to do, but don't actually do it yourself... I see a trend here.

Actually, I lead a team, I don't tell them what to do. You obviously don't have much experience in leadership.

Regarding stoptech:

Their solution to my situation would be to increase brake mass with a BBK. It would bring the equilibrium of the entire system up to a point where there is not enough thermal stress to constantly break rotors. The problem here, is that there are some disadvantages to this.

1. Increased unsprung mass. My track car's engine only makes about 160 lb/ft of torque. Increasing unsprung mass has a very noticable effect
2. cost. At the price I get rotors, I'd need to pop about 250 rotors to break even with the initial cost of the BBK. By the time you factor in consumables, the break-even point is even higher at closer to 400 rotors. This figure is not skewed. The high price of a BBK compounded with the low price of my rotors just makes it seem that way. Cost of time is not factored in, but it isn't an issue changing a rotor between sessions.
Wow, do you really believe that StopTech's article was intended to help with your specific situation? Really? LOL, it's an informative article intended to teach you basics and help you understand brake-related problems. Don't read too much into it. You have a history of continually doing that. Just be happy that you're getting educated and can make your own informed decisions.

You've still failed to show that:

brake rotors don't warp (when clearly they do, as refuted by EVERY other poster in this thread as well as direct hard evidence in the form of pictures)
First, there is no "direct hard evidence in the form of pictures" that shows a warped rotor. Show me the picture. Secondly, you insist on arguing with me about the fact that brake rotors don't warp, when you should be refuting the words of the authors in the links provided. You haven't disproved one shred of their words at all, but instead choose to post nothing but your own opinions instead. Go ahead and disprove the information in the tech articles. I'll be happy to read whatever you come up with (I need a good laugh once in a while).
Old 12-29-2010, 11:49 AM
MSCA
Banned

Says the guy who suggests that buying drilled/slotted rotors is a good idea, but doesn't use them himself. LOL

Hypocritical once again...now there's a trend for ya.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:58 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm done here.

Use a complete set of facts, or none at all, not just the ones that suit your needs. I've stated my case, its clearly beyond your level of comprehension.

I address every point you make. You pick and choose.

Good day to you, sir.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:00 PM
MSCA
Banned

I'm done here.

Use a complete set of facts, or none at all, not just the ones that suit your needs. I've stated my case, its clearly beyond your level of comprehension.

I address every point you make. You pick and choose.

Good day to you, sir.
Glad to see you're done. Leave your opinions at the door and next time lets talk facts. And no, not facts like basic physics...we all know that stuff, college or not.

I knew you wouldn't be able to take on the authors of any of the links provided.