Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Brake Rotors Don't Warp

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 03:38 PM
newg37
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and yes my rotor was warped on my old car. midas told me to change it and problem solved. lol why would they lie about that.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:42 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by newg37
and yes my rotor was warped on my old car. midas told me to change it and problem solved. lol why would they lie about that.
LOL... you went to Midas for brake work.

LOL... you believed whatever they told you.

LOL... and you wondered why they would lie to you.

Classic!
Old 12-28-2010, 03:46 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by cvt
I think he means (like a lot of track people) that he pefers slotted/drilled but for intense track use since blanks and drilled/slotted crack anyway he perfers to go for the less expensive blanks. He doesn't question the funtionality but the amount of rotors he needs to go through regardless if they are drilled or blanks.

in any case both of you guys seem to take this whole thing to an entirely different level. when it really comes down to it, a good driver and a good set of tires is all you really need.
The guy says over and over how superior drilled rotors are and then goes on to explain that they dissipate heat better and gives us other advantages (he even uses cost as an advantage) as well.

Then he goes on to say that he doesn't use drilled/slotted rotors....but rather uses blank rotors that he cracks every 3 days and has to replace.

Sorry, but his posts make no sense. He's a cheerleader for drilled/slotted rotors, yet he doesn't use them himself, instead choosing to crack and replace his blank rotors every 3 days. That's the very definition of hypocritcal.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:11 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
The additional functionality of drilled and/or slotted rotors serve me, in my particular car, in my particular situation, no purpose on track. The rotors will crack regardless.

Again, reading comprehension failure on your part. I clearly stated that aftermarket slotted and/or drilled rotors are cheaper than OEM blanks. True. I also stated that my blanks are cheaper than drilled and slotted rotors. Also true. The blanks I use are not OEM. True yet again. As stated before, there is no advantage in me running drilled/slotted rotors, when they cost more, and offer me, in my situation, zero benefit.

I sincerely doubt there are more than a handful of posters here who regularly heat their brakes enough to make them glow like I do. I fully acknowledge the potential benefit of drilled/slotted rotors. Unfortunately, in my case, reaching equilibrium temperature 100 degrees lower doesn't do much, when your rotor temps are nearly 4 digits.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:16 PM
MSCA
Banned

So you're saying that drilled rotors aren't good for you or your car, but everyone else will benefit from them. LOL, great, just great.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:17 PM
MSCA
Banned

Oh, and BTW-- Rotors don't warp. It's all explained in the links posted earlier in this thread.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:23 PM
Mike

Originally Posted by MSCA
So you're saying that drilled rotors aren't good for you or your car, but everyone else will benefit from them. LOL, great, just great.
Yes. "Everyone else" does not track their car.

Oh, and BTW-- Rotors don't warp. It's all explained in the links posted earlier in this thread.
Right. That's why they crack. Warping is caused by uneven heating/cooling, and cracks are caused by, you guessed it, uneven heating/cooling.

As I've stated before, if you track your car with any degree of proficiency, you would have run into brake issues at some point, and experienced these issues firsthand.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:11 PM
Mike

Have you even seen a heat banding or scorching on a rotor?

Not my pictures, but you get the point.

I'll take some pics next time I'm at the track.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:32 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike
Yes. "Everyone else" does not track their car.
Thank you very much. We've now come full circle. Now you're agreeing with me, whether or not you realize it. LOL
Old 12-28-2010, 06:15 PM
joo030879
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Proper research involves reading and understanding the entire subject

Has anyone ever seen a warped rotor? If so, I'd love to see a picture of it. Maybe even a video of the rotor on a lathe with a dial indicator attached to it.

Why is it that doesn't exist? Think about it? LOL

"In fact every case of "warped brake disc" that I have investigated, whether on a racing car or a street car, has turned out to be friction pad material transferred unevenly to the surface of the disc. This uneven deposition results in thickness variation (TV) or run-out due to hot spotting that occurred at elevated temperatures." - Carroll Smith, StopTech

'nuff said.
"It gets worse. Cast iron is an alloy of iron and silicon in solution interspersed with particles of carbon. At elevated temperatures, inclusions of carbides begin to form in the matrix. In the case of the brake disk, any uneven deposits - standing proud of the disc surface - become hotter than the surrounding metal. Every time that the leading edge of one of the deposits rotates into contact with the pad, the local temperature increases. When this local temperature reaches around 1200 or 1300 degrees F. the cast iron under the deposit begins to transform into cementite (an iron carbide in which three atoms of iron combine with one atom of carbon). Cementite is very hard, very abrasive and is a poor heat sink. If severe use continues the system will enter a self-defeating spiral - the amount and depth of the cementite increases with increasing temperature and so does the brake roughness. Drat!" - Carroll Smith - StoTech

Key words: worse, spiral (warp, loophole),drat!, cementite = atom of carbon.

Cementite (warp, spiral) exists in molecular level. Very hard to take pictures of them with conventional camera. I believe in Caroll Smith from StopTech.

Last edited by joo030879; 12-28-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:16 PM
Neal376

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A 1999 Grand vitara I serviced had a completely inoperable front left wheel. upon further inspection we found that the disc rotor was so deformed that it was jammed up against the caliper bracket. With the rotor removed and placed on a flat surface, it was clear to the naked eye that the surface was severely distorted.

The car was driven by a young graduate student who did complain of various braking issues but was too busy to bring the car in.

resurfacing the rotor resolved the issues.

----------------
in the country I worked in, new rotors were prohibitively expensive and were not replaced until they were potato chips

Last edited by Neal376; 12-28-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:54 PM
Mike

Thank you very much. We've now come full circle. Now you're agreeing with me, whether or not you realize it. LOL
Are you saying that you agree with me that these slotted and/or drilled rotors are an all around win-win for virtually any car? A yes or no will suffice.

As usual, you simply choose to ignore all counterpoints and presented evidence. Please, stop spreading misinformation. Are you a mechanic by profession? By personal interest? Hobby?

Let me guess. You think wings are for track use only because they don't make any downforce at street speeds, right?

Last edited by Mike; 12-29-2010 at 12:00 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:11 AM
joo030879
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Neal376
in the country I worked in, new rotors were prohibitively expensive and were not replaced until they were potato chips

May I ask, where are you from? More if more interesting story please share with us. Thank you
Old 12-29-2010, 10:18 AM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by joo030879
I believe in Caroll Smith from StopTech.
Good. And here's a quote of his:

"In fact every case of "warped brake disc" that I have investigated, whether on a racing car or a street car, has turned out to be friction pad material transferred unevenly to the surface of the disc."

Glad to see you believe in him.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:29 AM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike
Are you saying that you agree with me that these slotted and/or drilled rotors are an all around win-win for virtually any car? A yes or no will suffice.
I'm saying that you agree with me. Read the thread again if you continue to fail in your understanding of the discussion.

As usual, you simply choose to ignore all counterpoints and presented evidence.
You've given no evidence at all. The only thing you've given is your own opinion and a few pictures of cracked rotors. You've done nothing to disprove the authors of the links provided within. If anyone is spreading misinformation here, it's you.

Are you a mechanic by profession? By personal interest? Hobby?
All of the above. I worked as a professional tech for years after going to school for automotive technology. As much as I liked it, I wanted more out of life, so I got involved in automotive engineering, but decided to complete both a BS and MBA. Today, I'm in management at a blue chip company. I still wrench on cars all the time though... Thanks for taking an interest in my background.

Let me guess. You think wings are for track use only because they don't make any downforce at street speeds, right?
Lets stick to the topic of brakes. No need to try and instigate more arguments. You're very transparent.

Quick Reply: Brake Rotors Don't Warp