Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Brake Rotors Don't Warp

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 10:24 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by joo030879
MSCA, I did read first three articles you posted. I guess You did not understand the crucial part from StopTech article.

All or three articles I have read agrees on that Brake rotors does not warp. Or common myth a loop hole shape bending. And all first three are telling us about how to prevent those.

Does an average member who will never in his entire life needs to know what goes on a molecular level of a rotor "Myth Warps". Does an average member needs to know how to prevent them? Yes. Instead of saying brakes don't warp. Tell members they need to read those articles to learn how not to warp their rotors. Point them into right direction. Don't miss lead them.

NO, however does a member who warped his rotor needs to know why it happens. YES.

There are some crazy folks under rain passes splashing water out on the street just for fun of it. You claim you own an SUV, vast majority of crazy folks drive splashing water on an SUV. Are you one of them? Does that person needs know it is bad for his rotor YES. Well should he get slotted rotors to splash water without damaging his rotors? NO. It is stupid.

We do track our G and now treat rotors just as if they are pads. They are replacement parts. But when it happens to us it is no fun. There are some street driven G's that reports vibration, as early as 10K. Is it better for him to:

A. Get his rotor resurfaced, than go back after 5K miles for another.
B. Change to more expensive OEM Rotors.
C. Buy less expensive after market rotors that better suits his/her driving style, weather, environment etc.

Which one do you pick MSCA. Or is it Micro Soft Central America.

Motorsports is team sport. Engineers do listen to their driver, research and comes up with solutions. If you have repaired hundreds of cars in your entire life. Without listening to your customers (drivers). Without knowledge or proper research.

YOU AINT TOUCHING MY G.
People need to understand how & why they are feeling pedal pulsations. It's not warping as most people think. Forget about water spaslhing on hot rotors. Probably the easiest way to mess up a set of rotors is to come to a long hard stop (with cold brakes) and then sit still with your foot on the brake pedal. I have a long, steep offramp near my house that is good for creating that kind of problem. When I'm driving an automatic trans car (like my SUV) I'm sure to leave plenty of room in front on me so that I can slowly roll the vehicle forward instead of being stuck in one spot. If I do find myself stuck, I'll pop the trans into neutral and release the brake pedal. The last thing I want to do is imprint my pads on a hot rotor. Again, this isn't a warpage issue, it's a deposition issue. THAT is what people need to understand if they want to avoid brake rotor problems. If people want to incorrectly call it warpage, that's their choice. The end result is brake pulsations either way...
Old 12-23-2010, 10:40 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike
Clearly, you do not understand the difference between surface area and mass. Drilling and slotting reduce mass and increase surface area.
LOL, come on now Mike....even you can't believe the BS you're trying to sell us. Drilling holes in the surface of a rotor in now way increases its surface area. There is LESS surface area after you REMOVE material from the surface of the rotor. This is common sense. Let me break it down fo you retard style-- Picture a brake pad clamping down tightly on a rotor. If you were to measure the contact area and then you were to drill holes in the rotor and measure again, clearly the second time you measured you'd have less surface area, not more.

Increased mass allows for more heat absorbtion, while increased surface area allows for more heat dissipation.
No kidding. Nothing I said disputes that. I said earlier that drilled rotors offer benefits such as heat dissipation. You're not telling anyone anything they don't already know.

You quote stoptech articles from their website. I am on a first name basis with the owner. We both instruct with STUSA.
Again, I posted that link to you and/or other members benefit. You seem bent on contradicting what the author states in the article, but by arguing with me. Like I said, you can deny any or all of the article if you want to. It doesn't matter to me.... and BTW, I'm not quoting StopTech. I simply posted a link to their article.

This exact fact is why you don't get the cheesegrater effect with slotted and drilled rotors. Rotors are typically softer and less abrasive. Hardness has to do with scratch resistance (in laymen terms), while abrasion has to do with surface angles of the involved crystals. They're directly related, but not the same.
You still don't believe slotted/drilled rotors cause accelerated brake pad wear. I do. Lets leave it at that. Other people can do their own research and come to their own conclusions.

Not sure why you'd mess up pre-existing bedding by swapping just pads though. The proper method is to use a lathe, which I'm sure you have access to.
A lathe removes metal. Race pads remove deposits. Why would I cut rotors that aren't warped in the first place? LOL, you just don't seem to be able to understand this simple concept.

What M3 do you track? What class do you compete in? Are you on bimmerforums? You should come out to the bimmerforums vs THQ event. The bimmerboys think they're fast enough to take us on our local tracks.
I sold my M3. It was an E36 (1999) 5-speed. I bought it new in '99 and started tracking it from the first year I owned it. Then it became a decicated track car a few years later when I replaced it as my daily driver.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:58 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by MSCA
They "wobble" (which is really an incorrect term, BTW) due to uneven pad deposits on the rotors. You can measure the runout with a dial indicator. Most people incorrectly think that cutting the rotors is the only way to correct OOS runout. Yes, cutting will fix it, but so will scrubbing off the pad deposits. That fact proves that the metal isn't warped. If it were, then scrubbing wouldn't do anything to help.

This was BEFORE CERAMIC pads!!!

Organic, metallic, and semi metallic left NO deposit.

A pedal pulsation MIGHT be a result of ceramic deposits, steering wheel shake was a WARPED rotor.

Thats all I have to say here.

Feel free to have the last word and spread ignorance.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:22 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
LOL, come on now Mike....even you can't believe the BS you're trying to sell us. Drilling holes in the surface of a rotor in now way increases its surface area. There is LESS surface area after you REMOVE material from the surface of the rotor. This is common sense. Let me break it down fo you retard style-- Picture a brake pad clamping down tightly on a rotor. If you were to measure the contact area and then you were to drill holes in the rotor and measure again, clearly the second time you measured you'd have less surface area, not more.
I don't think you get it. Surface area relative to ambient air. Surface area, not swept area. Increased surface area = increased cooling. Pads don't cool the rotor; ambient air does.

I agreed that swept area decreases. I also stated that the decreased swept area is negligible; the increased surface area from drilling/slotting is not. Clearly, cooling is improved, and the ability to brake at full ABS is retained.

Activated charcoal comes to mind when I think surface area....
A lathe removes metal. Race pads remove deposits. Why would I cut rotors that aren't warped in the first place? LOL, you just don't seem to be able to understand this simple concept.
To remove uneven deposits? Cutting rotors is generally cheaper for the average joe than buying "race pads"

Simply put, unless you're running endurance race brakes, or you do not drive at any competent level, you should have suffered severe brake wear with a E36 on track.

Originally Posted by TVPostSound
Feel free to have the last word and spread ignorance.
QFT.

Last edited by Mike; 12-24-2010 at 02:35 AM.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:03 AM
Gazan37
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol subscribed.

Im not gonna say anything else for now mike and joo pretty much have it covered.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:36 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Replaced my OEM rotors on my 08 back in 2008 with slotted, dimpled and zink coated OEM rotors done at BrakePerformance.com at 5K. I'm now at 28K on this daily driver that's driven rather agressively whenever a safe opportunity permits and is still on original OEM pads. No squeeks, pulsations or signs of noticible loss in brake performance along with a lot less rust build up then I've seen on standard OEM rotors. This is on an automatic which I definately do not baby or employ a driving style design to extend the life of the brake system.. rather the opposite I assure you. Considering the OEM pads have made it to this length without exhibiting a need for replacement it would seem slotted rotors have had little effect on pad wear and I'm more likely to believe they have contributed to less of a need for brake maintenance by helping to maintain even pad wear and reduced glazing. I have to say even if they did result in significant increase in pad wear I'd probably still do it just for the looks alone.

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 12-25-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:39 PM
joo030879
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I get criticized when I take Motul Engine Oil to my local dealer to change my engine oil. The service manager always tells me. "Oil are Oil, the are all the same".

This reminds me of a story where a western civilized person went to Africa and traded a chunk of diamond for a piece of candy.

No matter how good they are. You will never understand. Unless you have your own knowledge and experience.

Last edited by joo030879; 12-24-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:36 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm not going to put my 2 cents in since i really hate agreeing with Mike. lol.

On another note, where do people go to get great prices on replacement rotors / pads?
Old 12-25-2010, 06:07 AM
Gee37S

Case in point: AMG's come with drilled rotors. Certainly, those AMGs are higher performance vehicles than our G37.... Hell, they offer a free AMG driving school to anyone who purchases an AMG.
AMG's do not come with drilled rotors. It's actually an illusion. They are black round slots.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:55 AM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by TVPostSound
This was BEFORE CERAMIC pads!!!

Organic, metallic, and semi metallic left NO deposit.

A pedal pulsation MIGHT be a result of ceramic deposits, steering wheel shake was a WARPED rotor.

All pad compounds leave deposits. That's exactly how your brakes work. Have you ever heard of "bedding" the brakes?
Old 12-26-2010, 10:03 AM
MSCA
Banned

I don't think you get it. Surface area relative to ambient air. Surface area, not swept area. Increased surface area = increased cooling. Pads don't cool the rotor; ambient air does.
Nobody is even suggesting that pads cool the rotor. Although you have to take into account both the pads and the calipers because they do in fact transfer some of the heat away from the rotor. You'll probably try to debate that fact too...

But again, drilling holes removes material, which lessens mass. How do you not understand that?

To remove uneven deposits? Cutting rotors is generally cheaper for the average joe than buying "race pads"
Again, cutting rotors removes metal. Slapping on a set of race pads doesn't cut metal. Therefore, there's really no negative effect to using a race pad to clean off pad deposits. If you already own a set of race pads (obviously not the 'average joe', but quite typical for someone who tracks his car) then the cost is really nothing.

Simply put, unless you're running endurance race brakes, or you do not drive at any competent level, you should have suffered severe brake wear with a E36 on track.
LOL, you're always full of assumptions, Mike. You read far too much into what I write. When did I say that I suffered severe brake wear with my M3? And was that on the track or on the street? If you had any sense at all, it should be quite obvious to you that I've used my race pads to clean up deposits from my street pads before. And of course that would indicate that I had uneven street pad deposits on my rotors. It's actually pretty easy to do that on the street, as I've said several times already.

QFT.[/QUOTE]
Old 12-26-2010, 10:06 AM
MSCA
Banned

Has anyone ever seen a warped rotor? If so, I'd love to see a picture of it. Maybe even a video of the rotor on a lathe with a dial indicator attached to it.

Why is it that doesn't exist? Think about it? LOL

"In fact every case of "warped brake disc" that I have investigated, whether on a racing car or a street car, has turned out to be friction pad material transferred unevenly to the surface of the disc. This uneven deposition results in thickness variation (TV) or run-out due to hot spotting that occurred at elevated temperatures." - Carroll Smith, StopTech

'nuff said.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:19 AM
MSCA
Banned

Because they are cheaper. Rotors are a wear and tear item, just like pads and tires. Improved cooling will not help me any with rotor longevity.
What? Oh....but didn't you say this:

Why not? They look different and are CHEAPER than OEM replacements. Best of both worlds.
And this:

I've probably cracked more rotors from warping (uneven cooling) than you've gone through in your lifetime.
Yet you're still a cheerleader for drilled/slotted rotors...even though you don't use them yourself. Sounds a bit hypocritical to me. You tell us all how great they are, but refuse to use them yourself, instead choosing to crack your blank rotors "every 3 to 5 days" and then have to buy new ones. LOL
Old 12-26-2010, 01:23 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Yet you're still a cheerleader for drilled/slotted rotors...even though you don't use them yourself. Sounds a bit hypocritical to me. You tell us all how great they are, but refuse to use them yourself, instead choosing to crack your blank rotors "every 3 to 5 days" and then have to buy new ones. LOL
I think he means (like a lot of track people) that he pefers slotted/drilled but for intense track use since blanks and drilled/slotted crack anyway he perfers to go for the less expensive blanks. He doesn't question the funtionality but the amount of rotors he needs to go through regardless if they are drilled or blanks.

in any case both of you guys seem to take this whole thing to an entirely different level. when it really comes down to it, a good driver and a good set of tires is all you really need.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:35 PM
newg37
Banned

Even with a reduced swept area, I can 100% guarantee that you will till have enough braking power to activate ABS, even with full slicks. You may need a better pad.

On the street, a simple full ABS 70-0 stop will heat the OEM pads enough to fade them. The figure a bit higher for the factory option pads.

Cracking only happens when you hit extreme temperature changes.

Case in point: AMG's come with drilled rotors. Certainly, those AMGs are higher performance vehicles than our G37.... Hell, they offer a free AMG driving school to anyone who purchases an AMG.

No, they do not. A cheese grater has raised edges to dig into the cheese. A drilled/slotted rotor has the same surface height on either side of the given gap unless there is damage. If there is any actual "grating", you'd hear and feel it in the pedal, similar to an uneven pad deposit.

Why not? They look different and are CHEAPER than OEM replacements. Best of both worlds.

I beg to differ. Most people make the incorrect assumption, but I 100% guarantee that rotors will warp under the right conditions. I've probably cracked more rotors from warping (uneven cooling) than you've gone through in your lifetime.

TL;DR: If you don't like a sponsor's product, keep your negative comments to yourself or post it in another thread. Don't pollute their thread.

good to see you're still keeping MSCA in check these days. has he posted a pic of his new g37 yet or is he too busy selling those floormats.

Quick Reply: Brake Rotors Don't Warp