Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

20 inch rim requirements

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 12:33 AM
GSlide

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
20 inch rim requirements

i have a 2008 G37S coupe currently on 18 inch rims with the 19 inch rims stored for winter. ive seen many Gs on 20 inch rims and really like how they look. however, ive heard this is not always the best route to go so i just wanted to hear some other opinions. also, what is required to get your G ready for bigger rims? my car is currently stock and i dont have any plans for performance modifications in the future.

also some other questions like is overall vehicle speed and performance affected? gas mileage? rubbing? shock absorption? im just trying to get all the information i can before i go drop 5k on wheels and tires just to find out i made a huge mistake. im also new to the forums, but have tried many google searches to get indepth info on the subject, but couldnt find many so if you have a link to a site or posts with more info please do post.

in short, i just want to know what is necessary to have this done.

one of the brands im looking at are vossen as an example

thanks for taking the time to read this!
Old 12-21-2010, 12:38 AM
Gee37S

You just need the right offsets and bolt pattern. Most reputable wheel brands will have that information at hand upon request. Bigger heavier wheels mean slightly slower acceleration and diminished mileage. You will not have any rubbing issues if you get the proper offsets and plan on staying at stock height. However, for aesthetic purposes, 20 inch rims usually go hand in hand with suspension modifications as a lowered car enhances the look of aftermarket, larger diameter wheels.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:07 PM
SRG

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
a lot of people have 20 inch rims on their g. It looks great with a nice drop, proper offsets..theres really not a huge difference in the milage per say and not something you would notice. The only big difference is that you would have a thinner tire and you'd feel the road a little more, it wont be as smooth. but thats also your preference on tires and etc..
Old 12-28-2010, 07:56 PM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
Most everything has been said previously but 20s are very common on the G37 and you will not need any special modification or equipment to make them fit. just make sure you mentioned that you have the OEM BBK when you get in touch with whichever wheel manufacturer you plan on buying from. my only advice is don't go cheap on your tires as it will make a world of difference on how your car rides.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:52 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Before purchase, you'll need to find the right size, width, and fitment (offset) for your car. I used to be a vendor for after market wheels, feel free to PM me for more info.

Recommended: springs or coils to lower the ride height a little bit for a much more sporty stance with the new wheels.

Strongly recommend that you get lowering springs or coils with aftermarket wheels to bring out the full potential of the new stance. Not an absolute must but many will agree that you probably should.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:48 PM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
I'll make it easy for you...

don't order anything below +35 and +37 offsets with 245/35 and 275/30 tires, and you will 100% have zero issues. You can lower the car all you want, keep it stock height if you'd like. If you're going to lower it, you definitely need atleast a rear camber kit, the more you lower...the more you will need a front camber kit.

vvvvvvwwwalla!

ps you're lucky i'm in a good mood or I'd just say "SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEARCH NOOB!!!!!!!". for the future though, please do. There's 100's of threads about this at your fingertips!
Old 12-29-2010, 01:38 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Actually you don't need a rear camber kit. Im lowered on KW coilovers with 20's and no camber kit and no issues whatsoever. Obviously some people want to be 100% sure they will be ok, in which case a camber kit is a great idea. It's just not a necessity.

Originally Posted by | 1cleanG |
I'll make it easy for you...

don't order anything below +35 and +37 offsets with 245/35 and 275/30 tires, and you will 100% have zero issues. You can lower the car all you want, keep it stock height if you'd like. If you're going to lower it, you definitely need atleast a rear camber kit, the more you lower...the more you will need a front camber kit.

vvvvvvwwwalla!

ps you're lucky i'm in a good mood or I'd just say "SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEARCH NOOB!!!!!!!". for the future though, please do. There's 100's of threads about this at your fingertips!
Old 12-29-2010, 08:33 AM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
Actually you don't need a rear camber kit. Im lowered on KW coilovers with 20's and no camber kit and no issues whatsoever. Obviously some people want to be 100% sure they will be ok, in which case a camber kit is a great idea. It's just not a necessity.

...depending on low you SET your KW's I should have said, man there's always gotta be someone puttin in the last word. If you set them higher then eibach springs, then no, you don't need a camber kit....but then why not just get springs?
Old 12-29-2010, 08:36 AM
4drScreamer

Go for the 20's. You'll be really happy you did. Use the search as Clean suggests and you will find all sorts of useful information.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:11 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm just trying to give the OP as much info as possible. My KW's are set quite a bit LOWER than Eibachs and I'm still fine w/o a camber kit. That would be stupid to set them higher than Eibachs, bad assumption there man.

Originally Posted by | 1cleanG |
...depending on low you SET your KW's I should have said, man there's always gotta be someone puttin in the last word. If you set them higher then eibach springs, then no, you don't need a camber kit....but then why not just get springs?