Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Help G35 dropped I have road noise and shake

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 05:20 PM
jarena2104

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 dropped I have road noise and shake

i got my 2007 g35x dropped on bc coils, and im running vossen cv1's staggered, im experience a brake squeal at 5mph and slower when im coming to a complete stop (really annoying) ...... i am also experiencing steering wheel shake at 64-74 mph (but smooth like butter slower and higher speed than that). I am also experience some loud road noise like im on offroad tires. i had the wheels balanced like 5 times. the tires are brand new and i had them switched out yesterday with suspect of bad tires.... my alignment was just done. i will post a pic of the alignment specs....... we took the hub rings off and it seems smoother but still a shake. but when the rings are on its way worse.... this is driving me crazy... anyone help!

Old 11-25-2010, 10:32 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
steering wheel shake at 64-74 mph (but smooth like butter slower and higher speed than that).
That is a wheel balance issue. Maybe rotor balance.
But it's not a mechanical problem.

You could use rear camber kits.
The rears are out. Should be closer to -1.5
Why does it say modified specs???
Old 11-26-2010, 07:15 AM
jarena2104

i have the camber kits in the rear and A arms up front! camber is at -2.4 so i dont rub especially on a turn. wheels are balanced on road force machine and come out pretty o balanced when all is said and wheel weights are on. weird thing is i took of the hub rings and it actually has only shake between 65-75mph , with hub rings on it shakes from 50-80.... so im thinkin maybe i need new hub rings?
Old 11-26-2010, 07:26 AM
jarena2104

btw this is driving me nuts, if any suspension professionals wanna chime in I would like to get this resolved today if i can.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:16 AM
chaqui74

Well from what i see it looks like you will have road noise just for running negative camber if you dont want road noise camber must be to almost OEM specs now for the vibrating issue one its a must to have the hubrings thats to make sure wheel is 100% center to the hub not sure why your getting vibrations around that speed. What brand tires are you running?
Old 11-26-2010, 11:36 AM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

shake between 65-75mph
As I said in a previous post the above speeds are wheel balance, especially since you mentioned it goes away above and below those speeds.

I was a suspension pro for many years.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:36 AM
jarena2104

CONTINENTAL DWS EXTREME CONTACT 245/35/20 FRONT 285/30/20 REAR... i have full adjustability for my alignment with camber and caster arms, A arms and rear toe arms, from kinetix so coming into spec is not an issue if that will cure the road noise but i am worried about rubbing the rear tires with a 20x10.5 rear wheel and a low ride height. 26 1/2" from floor to fender.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:03 PM
jarena2104

i just put on the new hub rings and its a different shake.... seems like when i position the wheel on and the lug nuts go on easier that it changes what speed the shake is at. i mean it isnt BAD per say its really minor but none the less its still annoying.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:55 PM
jarena2104

Crazy vibration problems with vossen cv1's

i got a set of vossen cv1's and no matter what i do i get a vibration at 60-80
balanced 4 times (road force) and its perfect, continental tires changed out to another set (just to make sure it isnt the tires) and stilll got the shake. YES I HAVE HUB RINGS!!!

called vossen and they want me to do a runout test again..... they said its impossible that more than one wheel can be wrong, but we have the fronts coming in at .75 off balance??? wtf !!!!!!
Old 11-26-2010, 01:01 PM
RaulGCustom
SoCal Driven

Received 406 Likes on 400 Posts
wow, that sucks bro, hopefully they can fix the problem!
Old 11-26-2010, 01:33 PM
jarena2104

me to man
Old 11-26-2010, 08:47 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jarena2104
i got a set of vossen cv1's and no matter what i do i get a vibration at 60-80
balanced 4 times (road force) and its perfect, continental tires changed out to another set (just to make sure it isnt the tires) and stilll got the shake. YES I HAVE HUB RINGS!!!

called vossen and they want me to do a runout test again..... they said its impossible that more than one wheel can be wrong, but we have the fronts coming in at .75 off balance??? wtf !!!!!!

Wow, cross posting all over the place!!!

I explained to you in another thread.
vibration between 60 and 80 and goes away above IS TIRE/WHEEL BALANCE.

You might have had it done 4 times, but obviously its not perfect.

Vibration from excessive wheel runout will increase with speed and not go away.

Stop blaming the wheels, look closer at the tires. There is way more mass in them. (Before anyone responds to this, I didn't say weight, I said mass!!!)

Old 11-26-2010, 08:51 PM
EnviedG35

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts
I have seen many times, over and over, people with vibration problems like this....and its usually always the tire thats the culprit. Just because its brand new does not mean the manufacturing process wasnt perfect for this particular tire. Switch to a diff tire on the wheel that has the constant vibration and see if that makes a difference.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:03 PM
jarena2104

again i switched out the tires the whole set twice already. its impossible i got 8 bad tires in a row! and i did balance them and they are perfect, with road force machine... they are perfect!!!!!!! i called vossen im doing a wheel runout test tomorrow with the same machine (the hunter alignment machines have that feature) vossen said that it could be the wheel that is out of round. we did a quick test the other day and it came up that the bare wheel needed .75 weight on it!!! which means we already have a problem there. so if it is vossen said they would switch it out which was cool of them.

question though if i run negative camber in the rear does that mean i have to run neg camber up front cause i can get those back to spec no problem. alignment guy said i should run some neg camber up front to match the rears (not sure how reliable that statement is)
Old 11-27-2010, 10:11 AM
EnviedG35

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts
Next move i would make is to put your oem wheels and tires back on and see if the vibration is still there. This is a process of elmination thing. You've already determined the tires arent at fault. You suspect the wheels are the culprit but wont know till you take the variable (new wheels) out of the picture and replace with a new variable. If the vibration isnt there with an entirely new wheel/tire setup, then you know the wheels are the problem. If the vibration is there even with the diff wheel/tire, then you can then start looking at other things such as the hub area....like all bolts that were removed to install the coilovers, as well as any play that could possibly be in the hub.

Quick Reply: Help G35 dropped I have road noise and shake