Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Goodyear damaged my rim any recourse?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 11:57 AM
Hapa DC5

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Goodyear damaged my rim any recourse?

So I had a nail in my driverside rear tire. Being that the car only has a 1,000 miles on it. I decided to have it patched from the inside insteal of plugged.

Well, the "tech" damaged my wheel. The area where the wheel studs go through and mount the rim is now scratched up.

I spoke with the store manager of the store who is copping an attitude and denying it. The only two rebuttals I gave him is why would anyone have any reason to remove the rim on a brand new car? Why is the damage only on the rim your employee removed?

So the manager is asking what it will take to make it right, I told him I want a new rim. He tells me that's impossible. I said you asked me what will make it right, I tell you, then you tell me it's impossible. He said well the rim can be repaired for $100 and he'll have to contact his insurance. I said contact the insurance, but I don't want a repair.

I asked him why he's not taking pictures and he told me he doesn't need to and he's seen the damage. So I guess the insurance company is just going off of his word.... Probably not. He's most likely going to contact his boss so see what to do. If I have to go back there just so they can take pictures I'm going to be livid.

Putz.

Is it unreasonable to demand a new rim for a car that is a month old?
Old 08-14-2010, 12:01 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Not at all. I am actually involved in a lawsuit right now b/c a tire place damaged one of my iForged wheels.

You have several different options available to you, however, if you did not take any pictures before showing it was in good condition, then after pictures, showing they damaged it...your options become extremely limited.

You MUST be able to prove there was no damage before and then damage after. Otherwise there is no way to show that Goodyear was the ones that actually did something wrong.

PM me if you want some more details, and you can read through my thread about it...

https://www.myg37.com/forums/the-lou...-cpompany.html
Old 08-14-2010, 12:16 PM
Hapa DC5

Understood, however with only 1,000 miles on the car I honestly wasn't taking close ups of the rim. I just wanted him to make it right and apologize. But if I'm met with resistance and denial it makes me more upset then before.

When I'm the one making excuses for his "tech" by saying accidents happen why is he not being receptive to my concerns. I purchased three sets of tires from this location in the past. After this I may be done with them for good.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:28 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Take this as a lesson learned if nothing else.

ANYTIME my car is worked on by ANYONE other than myself I do a walk around of the car and take pictures of any area they might even touch. Then when they are done I do another walk around before payment is even talked about.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:43 PM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maybe i'm the only one but a new rim due to scratches does seem unreasonable. Wheels can be repaired to new condition due to scratches and even bends. I would have them repair it, then if it doesnt come out to OEM spec then you have more of a case for a new wheel.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:48 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

^yeah, obviously I would never ask for a new wheel right out of the bag...but they DO need to make the situation right. All I was saying is if you don't have before/after proof then you have a significant uphill battle to prove they were the ones who damaged it
Old 08-14-2010, 07:55 PM
WhiteG37S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Asking for a new wheel is completely unreasonable. If they scratched your car would you ask them to buy you a new one? I have seen wheels completely screwed up by curbs made like new by wheel repair companies, so I'm pretty sure they can fix some scratches on yours
Old 08-14-2010, 07:57 PM
Hapa DC5

The only reason I decided to take this route was because of the attitude given to me by the manager. I have purchased 3 sets of tires from his location prior to this. I never negotiated the price, gave his employees grief, or was difficult in anyway. Whenever I walked in I asked if they can beat the online prices, if so I'll buy them right then and there no questions asked.

Now something goes wrong and this guy doesn't want to make it right. That doesn't sit well with me. I should be rest assured they will take care of me and apologized to. When you make me feel like it is my fault for trusting your techs with my car and that's the reason my wheel is damaged I'm going to be pissed.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:15 PM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unless they bent the rim, there is no need to replace it; most wheel repair shops can make most scratches disappear.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:34 PM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
like hispeed said, if you dont have before and after pics it will be hard to prove the damage was their fault. the shop SHOULD repair it out of good business practice but thats hard to find these days.

worse case, just get the wheel repaired yourself. cost around 100 and will look new again.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:05 PM
Hapa DC5

No I agree. I'm telling you if the manager wasn't a **** and wasn't cutting me off and wanted to hear my what I had to say I'd be a lot different.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:46 PM
WhiteG37S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should be glad he is even offering to fix the wheel. Most places would just tell you **** happens and send you on your way.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:33 PM
Hapa DC5

lol I shouldn't be glad, it should've never happened in the first place. The wheel should be in the same condition before and after they work on the car no matter if it has 10 miles on it or 300,000 miles especially since it is stock.

Him offering to fix the wheel should be expected. Don't go through life accepting things the way they tell you it should be. You make it what you want. You're the customer, you're paying them to do the work, you trust them with your vehicle.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:39 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

While replacing the wheel is obviously the BEST thing for you...if they offer to fix it (which IS a good option) and you refuse, you will be without a leg to stand on trying to get it replaced.

Now if you try to get something done and they tell you to fly a kite and don't even offer to help in any way whatsoever, then you have more of a case to have it replaced.

But I will tell you right now if they offer to fix it and you refuse, your battle will be very difficult. I know how much it sucks, but I think your best course of action is to have it fixed (promise you won't be able to tell) and it will be just like before you went in.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:54 AM
Hapa DC5

Done I accepted a wheel repair and $100 voucher off my next purchase.

Quick Reply: Goodyear damaged my rim any recourse?