Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

TPMS? a must have?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 08:35 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BTW, where does it say that it's illegal to disable the TPMS in your Federal Registry from the DOT? I search, but couldn't find anything in that document.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:54 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by MSCA
BTW, where does it say that it's illegal to disable the TPMS in your Federal Registry from the DOT? I search, but couldn't find anything in that document.
First, we’re taking about federal law here, and the rule making link discusses just that. A typical quote would be:
The TPMS also would be required to include a malfunction indicator to alert the driver when the system is nonoperational and, thus, unable to provide the required low tire pressure warning.
The NPRM proposed that TPMS malfunction could be indicated by either:
(1) Installing a separate, dedicated telltale (yellow) that illuminates upon detection of the malfunction and
remains continuously illuminated as long as the ignition locking system is in the ‘‘On’’ (‘‘Run’’) position and the
situation causing the malfunction remains uncorrected, or
(2) Designing the low tire pressure telltale so that it flashes for one minute when a malfunction is detected, after
which the telltale would remain illuminated as long as the ignition locking system is in the ‘‘On’’ (’’Run’’)
position. This flashing and illumination sequence would be repeated upon each subsequent vehicle start-up until the
situation causing the malfunction has been corrected.
If the option for a separate telltale is selected, the TPMS malfunction telltale would be required to perform a bulbcheck
at vehicle start-up.
There's another reference somewhere in the federal register that states the yellow light cannot be lawfully disabled, but it's dinner time and I cannot yet find it.

And as to the second article, just ask any law abiding tire dealer and they will say that federal law prevents them from disconnecting the TPMS light. It’s no different from disabling other safety devices like air bags, seat belts, etc., it is illegal to do so.

Now you can do what others do around here, i.e., take a position that it doesn’t matter if a mod is illegal or not, or if the owner will ever be caught. But please don’t deny the legality of such actions. It’s argumentative to a fault.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:45 AM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by Chekov
But please don’t deny the legality of such actions. It’s argumentative to a fault.
So show me the law. Like I said, I couldn't find anything in the link you provided. And I'd rather not go by what some guy in a tire store says, or some guy who writes an article and says it's illegal.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:45 AM
wlmngtn

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
you guys are making a big fuss over someone not wanting to have their TMPS or what not... lol
Old 10-01-2010, 08:04 AM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by Wlmngtn310
you guys are making a big fuss over someone not wanting to have their TMPS or what not... lol
It's not a big fuss at all. I just want to know for sure whether or not it is illegal. I've already disabled a few TPMS systems on friend's vehicles and I want to know if I'm breaking the law. So far I haven't seen anything that proves it is illegal, other than a random guy saying that it is....
Old 10-01-2010, 08:06 AM
wlmngtn

if you were able to disable my TPMS, I would pay you. Whether or not its illegal, I could give a rats AS$. Plain and simple
Old 10-01-2010, 08:08 AM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by Chekov
.... It’s no different from disabling other safety devices like air bags, seat belts, etc., it is illegal to do so.

You shouldn't make blanket statements. It is not illegal to disable a passenger air bag. In fact, many manufacturers sell kits intended to do just that.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:09 AM
MSCA
Banned

if you were able to disable my TPMS, I would pay you. Whether or not its illegal, I could give a rats AS$. Plain and simple
You may not care, but if it's illegal and I do it, I would definitely care. That should be pretty simple to understand.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:13 AM
wlmngtn

You may not care, but if it's illegal and I do it, I would definitely care. That should be pretty simple to understand.
Almost all of us do illegal things on a daily basis. But honestly, disabling TPMS would be a ridiculous law, if it's truly implemented.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:17 AM
MSCA
Banned

Almost all of us do illegal things on a daily basis. But honestly, disabling TPMS would be a ridiculous law, if it's truly implemented.
Yeah, I agree. But my concern is that I could be liable for disabling a friend's TPMS if he/she should get into an accident that was caused by a blowout due to low tire pressures. Crazier things have happened.

And I'm quite sure that's exactly why tire shop owners won't do it, regardless of whether or not it's against the law or not. It's just easier for them to say they won't do it because it's illegal.

On my own vehicle, I wouldn't hesitate to disable the TPMS.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:55 AM
terfer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's really up to you. I purchased Vossens and opted out in buying TPMS for them....i just check my air pressure every now and then. The only downside is you get that stinking light on your dash.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
It's not a big fuss at all. I just want to know for sure whether or not it is illegal. I've already disabled a few TPMS systems on friend's vehicles and I want to know if I'm breaking the law. So far I haven't seen anything that proves it is illegal, other than a random guy saying that it is....
I know you want to believe that disabling the TPMS light is not illegal, but I’ve given you all I can on the issue. But in case you still want to deny the law, here’s another source: Look in section 3,A. which says, “The TPMS also would be required to include a malfunction indicator to alert the driver when the system is non-operational, and thus unable to provide the required low tire pressure warning.”

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems; Controls and Displays

Now you may want to respond by saying that doesn’t prevent anyone from disabling it, and I would say that’s nonsense. With such a view an owner could disconnect other safety items as mentioned in the second article:

“The bottom line is consumers and tire dealers are not given the option of disabling the TPMS just like neither can remove a catalytic converter, the air bags, or the seat belts.”

If you want to believe the Tire Industry Association is not a reliable source, then there’s nothing I care to say to convince you otherwise.

That’s all I can offer at this time, as it serves no purpose to argue with you further. You’re free to believe what you want regardless of the evidence to the contrary.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:59 PM
MSCA
Banned

Chekov,

Don't you realize that the link you provided is basically a set of rules for vehicle manufacturers to follow regarding the implementation of TPMS? It in no way proves that it is against the law for a vehicle owner to disable their own TPMS.

You said it was illegal to disable it and then posted links as proof. All I'm asking you is where to find the "proof" in your links. I haven't found anything even close to proof. What law is it that explicitly states the TPMS can't be disabled?

Sorry, but I need something concrete, not a quote by some random guy that supposedly works in the tire industry. If I'm wrong about the law, it should be easy enough to prove. But as of right now, I'm not convinced. I don't believe everything everyone tells me....do you? Sometimes I need to see the evidence for myself.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:43 PM
LightsOut

MSCA

you in socal? wanna disable my light?
Old 10-01-2010, 04:09 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by LightsOut
MSCA

you in socal? wanna disable my light?
Opposite side of the country. I think my screen name tends to mislead you west coast guys.

But anyway, I still haven't figured out how to disable the light on the G yet. I almost have it figured out, but the schematics I was given don't have everything I need to do it. At this point, I could probably figure it out by trial and error, but I don't really want to start grounding wires when I'm not 100% sure what they are.

Quick Reply: TPMS? a must have?