Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Strut bar thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 10:46 AM
Greg Lecewicz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strut bar thoughts

My other car I keep in Europe is 2008 Volvo S60 D5 diesel. It has a strut bar. The bar is not SOLID. It has very strong yet flexible rubber mounts. I think it was designed to dump some unwanted vibrations from the struts. I'm thinking about machining a strut bar with an engine dumpener mounted in the middle. Maybe it would change the car's feel.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:16 AM
DmfG37sTT

Are you talking about your volvo or your infiniti?
Old 07-23-2010, 12:10 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Make sure you drill holes in it so it is light weight.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:25 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm with Kid
Old 07-23-2010, 05:41 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
A strut bar is a great idea Greg and if you have the proper tools and facilities to machine it, not all that hard. You lost me with the dumpener mounted in the middle. I'm presuming it's just a typo and you meant dampener. Even still, I'm not getting what you hope to achieve with that. Explain? Isn't the show point to make it completely as stiff as possible to firm and stiffen up the front end or are you attempting to achieve something else?
Old 07-24-2010, 08:20 AM
Greg Lecewicz

Originally Posted by Black Betty
A strut bar is a great idea Greg and if you have the proper tools and facilities to machine it, not all that hard. You lost me with the dumpener mounted in the middle. I'm presuming it's just a typo and you meant dampener. Even still, I'm not getting what you hope to achieve with that. Explain? Isn't the show point to make it completely as stiff as possible to firm and stiffen up the front end or are you attempting to achieve something else?
I'm not sure if Volvos idea was to stiffen the chassis or was it designed to damper the unwanted vibration and this is why they are using the flex mount strut bar. Go to the Volvo dealer and look at it. My thoughts were to incorporate the engine dampener or maybe 2 of them in line, joining the struts of the g37. Maybe it would give the G a more stable feel on the road. Maybe the solid bar transfers and amplifies some undesirable vibes? After lowering my car which had improved the handling dramatically I started to think about the chassis braces and other ways to achive the solid feel of the car. Maybe the braces should as well be mounted with hard rubber bushings to serve the stiffening effect and to dampen the sounds too?
Old 07-24-2010, 08:21 AM
Greg Lecewicz

Originally Posted by DmfG37sTT
Are you talking about your volvo or your infiniti?
Infiniti with Volvo's strut bar
Old 07-24-2010, 08:34 AM
Greg Lecewicz

and sorry about typo, no disrespect. Naturally there is no need to install a DUMPENER in the middle of the car, a wooded area appears to be a better choice! There might be a need for a DAMPENER thou in our car.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:36 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Other than the vibration in the shifter, I've not experienced ANY unwanted vibration in the car at all. And this is with my car lowered on coilovers (with a stiffer than stock spring rate), solid strut bar, and every chassis brace available, and low profile wide tires. Good luck with it. Personally I don't have any unwanted vibration from the engine or elsewhere that I feel a need to dampen but everyone's feel of a car is subjective.

Let us know how it turns out.

Glad you cleared up the typo. Given your penchant for drilling holes in things, I fully expected to see the infamous seat bubble cut out of your driver's seat and a big hole with a pot underneath and a toilet paper dispenser mounted on the center console.