Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

who drives around with no TPMS on their aftermarket wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 01:14 AM
Tainui

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I never heard about a flat or blow out prevented because the vehicle had pressure sensors.

You are wasting your energy here Checkov. Better off giving mr Sulu a reach around.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:35 AM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chekov

And yes, I am comparing a blowout with the sinking of the Titanic. Both can cause loss of life (whether it’s 1 or 1,500 shouldn’t make any difference especially if you’re the 1)
Okay....somehow, 99.99999% (my estimate, not backed by any data) of people manage to live a full life without dying prematurely from a blowout or sinking on the Titanic (yes, that only happened once, I know). Sorry, but I just can't be worried about something so statistically insignificant. I probably have better odds of dying by being hit by a bus. But I'm not worried about that either.

BTW, you seemed to ignore the fact that TPMS do nothing to prevent a catastrophic blowout....you know, the kind where you're driving along just fine and then all of a sudden something on the road or a defect in the tire itself causes the tire to blow out.

The fact of the matter here is that TPMS are just another sensor that can be used as a tool to make people aware of one or more tires being low on air pressure. And if you check your tire pressure regularly (like me), the odds are good that TPMS will NEVER illuminate because your tire pressure is never low. So for me, it's pretty much useless. Nothing you can say will convince me otherwise, so don't put too much effort into trying to make me change my mind. And of course you are free to feel all warm and fuzzy inside about having that "extra protection" that you feel your TPMS affords you. It's a free world, after all....
Old 05-26-2010, 09:33 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You guys dont get it. Chekov wears a helmet and orange reflective vest when he rides his bike. He NEVER removes the lables from pillows and mattresses. ALWAYS waits at least an hour (just to be sure) after eating to go swimming. He is quite possibly the safest human to walk the earth.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:05 AM
TreSe7en
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 05-26-2010, 12:32 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Tainui
I never heard about a flat or blow out prevented because the vehicle had pressure sensors.

You are wasting your energy here Checkov. Better off giving mr Sulu a reach around.
Of course you have. I referenced my own experience in post #35. The full details are in another thread. As for statistics and with TPMS being so new, more time will be needed to collect meaningful data on how many blowouts it prevents. Certainly, the Ford SUV experience that prompted the TPMS requirement in the first place, can be an indicatior of what can happen without it.

But you’re right, I am wasting my energy on the attitudes of some that, for reasons I don’t understand, take an OEM safety device that costs them next to nothing to have and trash it.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:38 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kidcane
You guys dont get it. Chekov wears a helmet and orange reflective vest when he rides his bike. He NEVER removes the lables from pillows and mattresses. ALWAYS waits at least an hour (just to be sure) after eating to go swimming. He is quite possibly the safest human to walk the earth.
LOL, i'd rather hang out with the Most Interesting Man Alive.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:49 PM
MSCA
Banned

..... take an OEM safety device that costs them next to nothing to have and trash it.
What? I hope you're not talking about me. I clearly said that I would not spend the money to REPLACE a faulty sensor because I don't see the value in it. But of course I have no reason to remove the sensors that were originally installed in the wheels.

BTW, the sensors in my 4Runner's wheels have a useful life expectancy of approximately seven years. Beyond that, the battery inside is expected to die. The sensors are sealed and the battery is not replaceable. Once the batteries die, I'm not buying new sensors at ~ $100/each and then paying the dealership to program them to my vehicle. That's what I'm talking about....
Old 05-26-2010, 05:22 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by MSCA
What? I hope you're not talking about me. I clearly said that I would not spend the money to REPLACE a faulty sensor because I don't see the value in it. But of course I have no reason to remove the sensors that were originally installed in the wheels.

BTW, the sensors in my 4Runner's wheels have a useful life expectancy of approximately seven years. Beyond that, the battery inside is expected to die. The sensors are sealed and the battery is not replaceable. Once the batteries die, I'm not buying new sensors at ~ $100/each and then paying the dealership to program them to my vehicle. That's what I'm talking about....
Well, I was not talking just about you, but to anyone who rejects this safety device as previously stated.

Now I don’t know about the 4Runner but I do believe the G37’s TPMS does not have batteries, and any failure would be covered under warranty. So I’m not sure what money would be spent for a defective sensor. In my case, a sensor (actually a valve stem) did fail lasts year, and the dealer replaced the whole sensor free of charge.

At any rate, not to go on with this indefinitely and with the clear indication you’re not going to change and are willing to take the risk, how about this: In consideration of other people who may end up as passengers in your car, and to cover yourself legally, why not post the following notice somewhere in your new G:

Warning:
This vehicle does not have a functioning Tire Pressure Monitoring System. Whereas only a remote possibility exists, a sudden tire pressure loss could cause one or more tires to fail, resulting in possible passenger injury or death. If you do not wish to take this risk, please exit this vehicle now. Otherwise, make sure your seat belts are securely fastened.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:28 PM
MSCA
Banned

Well, I was not talking just about you, but to anyone who rejects this safety device as previously stated.

Now I don’t know about the 4Runner but I do believe the G37’s TPMS does not have batteries, and any failure would be covered under warranty. So I’m not sure what money would be spent for a defective sensor. In my case, a sensor (actually a valve stem) did fail lasts year, and the dealer replaced the whole sensor free of charge.

At any rate, not to go on with this indefinitely and with the clear indication you’re not going to change and are willing to take the risk, how about this: In consideration of other people who may end up as passengers in your car, and to cover yourself legally, why not post the following notice somewhere in your new G:

Warning:
This vehicle does not have a functioning Tire Pressure Monitoring System. Whereas only a remote possibility exists, a sudden tire pressure loss could cause one or more tires to fail, resulting in possible passenger injury or death. If you do not wish to take this risk, please exit this vehicle now. Otherwise, make sure your seat belts are securely fastened.

First of all, of course the G has batteries in the sensors. Do you think they work by magic or something? They are tiny transmitters, so they absolutely rely on battery power.

And for the record, the batteries in the sensors are not likely to fail within the warranty period, so no worries there.

As for your warning....maybe I should also install 4-point seatbelt harnesses and a roll cage as well. And then install run-flat tires and upgrade the brakes to a racing set up. I'll also fill the car with foam just in case a chipmunk runs out in front of me. Seriously bud, you need to take off that reflective orange vest and that padded helmet and live a little.

And for the record again, my 4Runner has TPMS in place. And so will my G37. Until something goes wrong.... somehow you fail to understand that or just choose to ignore it. Not sure why though...
Old 05-26-2010, 06:40 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

MSCA,
Well, I didn’t know the G sensors had batteries, so I’ll give you a “Gotcha” for that one. I thought it was similar to placing your fob with a dead battery in the slot to start the car, where the fob circuitry alone would work.

But assuming your dealer will replace a faulty sensor on a 2010 G37 for free, and after many years, if replacement sensors cost $100, then IMO it’s certainly worth it.

And I’m glad you took my warning message as veiled humor, as it was intended.

As to my orange vest emphasis on safety, frankly, it stems from my many years as a commercial pilot and the responsibility that it required. In an airplane safety is paramount, and any device that is not working, even something as mundane as a burned out bulb, is cause to cancel the flight. I was instilled with the concept not to take risks and not to compromise safety in any way, even if somewhat remote. We have a saying, “good pilots die in bed.” I guess it’s spilled over to driving an automobile for me; so, if you’re so inclined, give me a little slack. You may find my outlook on these things will help you to live as long as I have.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:01 PM
kevincat

whoa didnt know my thread went into a discussion like this. but i brought it back to tire traxx and found a guy that could put my sensors in. now im driving around with them on.

sucks that on the g37, it doesnt tell you which psi is on each tires.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:27 PM
terfer

Does anyone know if all Infiniti TPMS are compatible with each other?
Old 05-31-2010, 10:29 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
They're all the same. Just the programming of the head unit is different.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:31 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
No TPMS on my Nismos.
The following users liked this post:
fl8rd8r (07-11-2015)
Old 06-01-2010, 06:15 PM
BooSa37

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I was wondering is there a fix for this? as to by passing the signal to make the car think there TMPS are in? Taking a fuse out? Idk im wondering bc there is always somebody who figure things out.

Quick Reply: who drives around with no TPMS on their aftermarket wheels?