Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

G37S up a snowy hill on winter tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 01:21 AM
G Redline

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37S up a snowy hill on winter tires?

hey all, ive been searching this site and have been finding some posts and threads about driving the rwd version in the snow, there was some helpful information but im looking for a specific answer to something.

if i put a set of good winter tires on a g37s can i make it up steep grade hills in the snow? like the kind of hills in mountain passes or roads that lead up to ski hills?

any help on this would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-10-2010, 01:30 AM
MNDZA

Definitely not! Your back end will keep moving around and you won't get anywhere. I've had 2 g35 coupes and 3 mustangs and rwd with snow tires, although better than regular tires, will suck in the winter...ESPECIALLY trying to go uphill. I am very experienced in controlling a rwd car in winter conditions, but this time I decided I'll go with the x version because I know I'll need it.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:45 AM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no you will not. any hills you will be stuck at the bottom or swerve out of control ..i run blizzaks all winter and only speak from experience
Old 05-10-2010, 06:20 AM
billy718

get a truck dont try to go offroading widd a g37 on a snowy hill ur askin for ur car to get stuck or slide off the hill they suck in the snow point blank period snow tires or not car shudntbe driven if it doesnt have to be
Old 05-10-2010, 06:27 AM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^^ the G is just fine in the snow. All i can figure is that you guys that say you should not drive it in the snow. Don't know how to drive in the snow. I take my G to the mountains to go skiing all the time and besides needing to know how to drive and paying a little more attentino it does just fine with a good set of michelin pilot alpins.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:25 AM
Hayabusa02

RWD cars with a good traction control system and good snow tires are fine in the snow. I drove a C63 AMG in the snow all the time...never had a problem. If you see how they are tested in Germany, you'll understand how important traction control and good tires are.

The only thing I can think of is you guys who are having trouble in the G don't have good snow tires or have no idea how to drive in the snow.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:26 AM
G Redline

shumby, u take ur rwd coupe up snowy hills to go skiing? and have no issues?
also thanks guys for your input
Old 05-10-2010, 08:39 AM
shumby

ya i drive from Edmonton Canada to Jasper. Not an issue. it aint a 4wd truck mind you but it will get the job done
Old 05-10-2010, 08:40 AM
shumby

Just noticed you are fom BC i did not need the Canada in my post. lol
Old 05-10-2010, 08:42 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
if you've got good snow tires, yes. if you have the OEM summer tires, forget it. Like Shumby said, as long as you actually know what you are doing in the snow, you'll be fine with just a little more situational awareness needed.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:38 AM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what do you mean we dont know how to drive in snow? if your stopped before a hill, what more do you do then keep the wheel straight and lightly press the gas. I run blizzaks and put weights in the trunk when it snows as well ...given I do run my snow tires on 19's
Old 05-10-2010, 10:43 AM
Shane D
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If there is more than 2 inches you aren't going anywhere, uphill. The X models are as good, if not better, than a 4 X 4. S models will get around but steep snowy hills, (like my subdivision), are killer. Before my M35X I drove MANY years with RWD and Blizzaks and I was fine. This little sporty car does NOT like winter.

Shane D
Old 05-10-2010, 10:43 AM
shumby

^^^ beerme...........To the people in the know you answered your owen question. And the second fact that you run blizzacks showes you did not pick the best tire.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:45 AM
shumby

Shand you from Halifax you should know how to drive in the snow. (I am From Bridgewater originally) Really the car ain't the best but it will handel snow really just try it i drive mine all winter no issues.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:58 AM
Shane D
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by shumby
Shand you from Halifax you should know how to drive in the snow. (I am From Bridgewater originally) Really the car ain't the best but it will handel snow really just try it i drive mine all winter no issues.
Mine goes year round and it is not too bad. However I live up on a hill and when I try to make it home from work after a good snow it was tough. Not bad on the roads generally, but (IMO) no good in any kind of snow depth and steep hills just make it that much tougher.

The heart wanted the S and the head wanted the X.
The heart won this time and and I will just grin and bear it!

Spent two hours cleaning it yesterday and it looks even more beautiful today!

Shane D

Quick Reply: G37S up a snowy hill on winter tires?