Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

G37S up a snowy hill on winter tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 12:05 PM
MNDZA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MSCA
Years ago I purchased a winter beater Toyota Celica that was rear wheel drive. When I purchased it, the car had two old-school snow tires on the rear. You know, the kind with really deep tread blocks sorta like you'd see on an old Jeep. The tires weren't studded....they were just good old fashioned snow tires.

Well, let me tell you that the car was virtually unstoppable in the snow. The traction was amazing. That winter we got hit with one major snowstorm after another here in NY, and I found myself making excuses just to go drive the car in the snow. If I didn't experience that RWD car in such terrible conditions myself, I would have never thought a RWD car could be good in snow. After all, every other RWD car I have owned has been a sporty car with low-profile summer tires, so I think the tires can make a huge difference when it comes to winter driving in a RWD vehicle....
And you quoted me because??? I stated that I drove all my rwd cars with snow tires. Yeah I made it through the winters, but it really sucked trying. You must be in denial. This car was not meant for the snow and you know it. Don't make it something it isn't people.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:21 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MNDZA
And you quoted me because??? I stated that I drove all my rwd cars with snow tires. Yeah I made it through the winters, but it really sucked trying. You must be in denial. This car was not meant for the snow and you know it. Don't make it something it isn't people.
There's no reason to get upset man. If people only have the G then a good set of winter tires is a great option. Not everyone can do a G plus a 4X4.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:24 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I got a G37S and an FX50S. is the FX better in the snow ya but i still drive the G more
Old 05-12-2010, 03:04 PM
MNDZA

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
There's no reason to get upset man. If people only have the G then a good set of winter tires is a great option. Not everyone can do a G plus a 4X4.
I'm not upset. I was just wondering why he quoted me when his response has nothing to do with what I said. Also, the OP is most likely someone who wants to buy a g37 and is trying to figure out if he could put snow tires on and drive up snowy mountains. His best option is to get an x and not to go rwd for what conditions he'll be driving.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:11 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
no need to get the X. like i said i have done this for 2 winters now no issues.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Neal@tirerack
MYG37.COM Platinum Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Snows on my 6MT G35 and I was fine in the winter. Majority of my subdivision is hills to get out and didn't have an issue with Blizzaks. Many G owners out there with dedicated snows doing fine in winter.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:40 PM
G Redline

interesting input on this, thanks everyone
Old 05-16-2010, 12:19 AM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I drove my G through every storm this past winter except for one. My Blizzaks LM-60 were great. In fact my RWD G drove better in the snow compared to previous 08xS with the stock all season tires. I kid you not.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:25 AM
G Redline

very good input everyone. i decided to play it safe and roll with the x as i drive through mountain passes in british columbia as well as regularly up steep ski hills in winter, plus i wouldnt mind it for driving in the rain. trust me i love the s, comes dropped enough for me, beautiful 19's and the BBK of course, almost perfect in stock form.
i wish i couldev got it, but i mean some of the hills out here, ARE STEEP. the x is great so far, im very happy with it, the 18's look nice enough, the BBK wouldev been sweet, i am going to have to lower it tho, thats some major 4x4 action. i want to play it slow and safe as i have extensively modded a vehicle before, and learned that researching and buying parts once saves ALOT of money (dont mean to yell). looks like ill roll with the eibach pro kit most likely.

in any case thanks everyone for all the input! it was valued very much and almost swayed me to get the S, but it is my DD first. looking forward to future posting and snapping some pics of it lowered.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:28 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
We are in the same boat regarding the 37S v. 37xS. We test drove the xS and the auto tranny was boring and since my wife prefers a manual we will probably go that route before the end of the year.

My goal is to get a dedicated winter set with salt bags in the back and eventually switch to all-season for 8 or so months.

We also have an Armada that can get through most anything.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:42 PM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you have an armada, I wouldnt even bother getting snow tires for the g37. just put that money towards some nice summer wheels
Old 10-05-2010, 02:05 AM
redfoster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I put Kumho winter 18" on my G37S and had no problems at all getting around anywhere last winter. And Nova Scotia can be quite hilly.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:33 AM
MSCA
Banned

I quoted you because I was responding directly to your post. That's how this whole message forum works, just in case you haven't realized that yet.

I'm in denial? LOL, that's a riot. The only thing I'm denying is your statement that driving in the snow with RWD is so difficult and sucks so badly. That's your opinion....and I'm giving you my opinion that a RWD car with proper snow tires is just fine in snow. Maybe your problem isn't the car or tires, but the driver.

Anyway, don't get your panties in a knot because someone doesn't agree with you. You'll live longer if you don't let the little things in life get to ya....
Old 10-05-2010, 07:39 AM
MSCA
Banned

I'm not upset. I was just wondering why he quoted me when his response has nothing to do with what I said. Also, the OP is most likely someone who wants to buy a g37 and is trying to figure out if he could put snow tires on and drive up snowy mountains. His best option is to get an x and not to go rwd for what conditions he'll be driving.
You're obviously the one in denial...

First of all, my response had EVERYTHING to do with what you said. It was completely on topic and a direct response to your words.

Secondly, who are you to tell someone that their best bet is to undeniably go for an AWD coupe instead of a RWD coupe? Personally, I'd NEVER make that compromise. I live in NY and it snows around here quite a bit in the winter. Yet the amount of times I find myself driving while the roads are snow-covered is minimal. The plows are quick in clearing the roads. That said, I'd never trade the performance and handling of a RWD car for the extra weight, expense, and penalties of the same car in AWD. So maybe the OP's best option is to just get the RWD car and buy a good set of snow tires for the few times he'll actually need them. Point is, you don't know and either do I. That's up to the OP and we can just offer our opinions on the matter...the choice is his and he'll have to make the decision for himself.

Enjoy your AWD car and I'll enjoy my RWD.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:41 AM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by Neal@tirerack
Snows on my 6MT G35 and I was fine in the winter. Majority of my subdivision is hills to get out and didn't have an issue with Blizzaks. Many G owners out there with dedicated snows doing fine in winter.
Exactly. There will always be people who think they need FWD or AWD to drive in snow. Yet people somehow managed to get around just fine before FWD or AWD was even invented.

Quick Reply: G37S up a snowy hill on winter tires?