Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

G37S up a snowy hill on winter tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 12:08 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shumby
^^^ beerme...........To the people in the know you answered your owen question. And the second fact that you run blizzacks showes you did not pick the best tire.
So, what tires do people "in the know" pick?
Old 05-10-2010, 01:00 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
pilot alpins. duh. I has blizzacks for one season. and it was their last. they had plenty of life left in them but i would not even consider selling them. I knifed the sidewalls and trashed them.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:15 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmm, those look similarly priced to the Blizzaks too. Which model? Looks like there's PA2 and PA3.

I wonder if I can get those in 18" sizes that will fit the sport brakes. I don't think they have them in the OEM sport sizes (*Sedan* sport sizes, that is -- it's the 225/50-18 in the front that kills it -- nothing comes in that).

But I'm looking at getting a tire & rim package with some inexpensive rims for the winter tires anyway, so I'd guess I could go with non-staggered anyway. Not sure what size to get though.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:24 PM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so educate me ..i'm at a 4 way stop at the bottom of a hill and there is about 2 inches on the ground. what do you do to get up the hill? not trying to be sarcastic but would like tips from the pro's so I can survive winter again
Old 05-11-2010, 12:10 AM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shumby
^^^ the G is just fine in the snow. All i can figure is that you guys that say you should not drive it in the snow. Don't know how to drive in the snow. I take my G to the mountains to go skiing all the time and besides needing to know how to drive and paying a little more attentino it does just fine with a good set of michelin pilot alpins.
Trust Shumby guys, he's not only experienced in snow, he's one of the only G37 owners that can claim actually flying the G too... Didn't quite master landing though...totaled.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:13 AM
MNDZA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could go ahead and listen to these "people in the know", but like I said above, I've owned 2 g35 coupes and 3 mustangs and also two Mercedes and I drive rwd like it's a part of me and driving in the snow always sucked in all of them even with snow tires. You will definitely have a hard time with the conditions you'll be driving in. Good luck though. Take it very easy and if the conditions are fine you should be alright. I didn't wanna chance it this time so I picked up the awd. I do miss driving a stick though, like crazy.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:25 AM
shumby

Originally Posted by RedG37SNC
Trust Shumby guys, he's not only experienced in snow, he's one of the only G37 owners that can claim actually flying the G too... Didn't quite master landing though...totaled.

That was coffe related not snow related. I did have my snow tires on though.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:14 AM
Hayabusa02

Originally Posted by Shane D
The heart wanted the S and the head wanted the X.
The heart won this time and and I will just grin and bear it!
Shane D
Why didn't you get the xS then?
Old 05-11-2010, 07:18 AM
shumby

cuz the xS is still really just an x
Old 05-11-2010, 08:48 AM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I think the answer depends on how much snow, if you have snow tires, and your experience driving in the snow.

We had a pretty big blizzard this past year in Maryland and I wouldnt even think about taking a RWD car out, even with the best snow tires in the world. My wifes 4WD SUV was even having trouble in the snow.

Up a snowy hill with winter tires? Well that depends on how good your tires are, if you have experience driving in the snow, and how much snow or how slick the hill is.

Me personally? Thats why we have the G37S and the RAV4 4WD.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:14 PM
JLCann1

IMHO there are alot of people on this forum that are not experienced at driving a moderately powered RWD car, which is made obvious by the number of times I have read "don't turn off the VDC". The G is a very capable car if you know how to drive it. It is by no means a tail happy tazmanian devil, waiting to spin out on you.

That being said I drove for 2 winters in my G37S with Blizzaks and never had an issue. We had very heavy snow conditions in Rhode Island both of those years and I never got stuck. Granted I never went up any mountains, but I did encounter many uphill roads (some from a stop). Personally I found nothing wrong with the Blizzaks, I think that they lived up to their very impressive reputation, and any competant driver should be able to handle the G in the snow just fine.

I have also been caught in moderate snow before I had a chance to change over from the stock summer tires. Now that is a difficult task!

So, winter tires should be fine, unless you are one of the people on here who cannot drive your G in warm weather with the VDC off, then you dont belong driving it in the winter even with snow tires.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:19 PM
shumby

^^^ agree with you on everythign but the tires. the pilot alins are really that much better you should give them a try.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:31 PM
JLCann1

Cant argue with you there since I have no experience with those tires, but I just turned my lease back in so I wont have the chance to try those out.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:39 PM
shumby

I really did not expect to see a big differance. But man there was. I was really surprised.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:58 AM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MNDZA
You could go ahead and listen to these "people in the know", but like I said above, I've owned 2 g35 coupes and 3 mustangs and also two Mercedes and I drive rwd like it's a part of me and driving in the snow always sucked in all of them even with snow tires. You will definitely have a hard time with the conditions you'll be driving in. Good luck though. Take it very easy and if the conditions are fine you should be alright. I didn't wanna chance it this time so I picked up the awd. I do miss driving a stick though, like crazy.
Years ago I purchased a winter beater Toyota Celica that was rear wheel drive. When I purchased it, the car had two old-school snow tires on the rear. You know, the kind with really deep tread blocks sorta like you'd see on an old Jeep. The tires weren't studded....they were just good old fashioned snow tires.

Well, let me tell you that the car was virtually unstoppable in the snow. The traction was amazing. That winter we got hit with one major snowstorm after another here in NY, and I found myself making excuses just to go drive the car in the snow. If I didn't experience that RWD car in such terrible conditions myself, I would have never thought a RWD car could be good in snow. After all, every other RWD car I have owned has been a sporty car with low-profile summer tires, so I think the tires can make a huge difference when it comes to winter driving in a RWD vehicle....

Quick Reply: G37S up a snowy hill on winter tires?