Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Michelin HydroEdge vs Goodyear Assurance TripleTred

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 08:05 PM
jdljr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michelin HydroEdge vs Goodyear Assurance TripleTred

Last Saturday I initiated a 39 month lease on a 2010 G37x which came with the Dunlop SP SportMaxx tires. I live in the mountains of North Carolina and we get snow/ice (this year an unusual 7 feet of snow since Dec 5th!). I thought those tires might be ok for the winter, but I read somewhere where they're not intended for snow. While I hate the idea of replacing brand new tires, I guess I should think about replacing them and getting more appropriate tires. The two choices I've come up with are either the Michelin HydroEdge or Goodyear Assurance TripleTred. I don't want a winter set and a summer set of tires. I want one set of tires that are all weather.

My assumption is that either tire would be an ok choice. But I thought maybe some of you may have input on which one would be a better tire, especially for wet and snow traction.

Also, when I go through the motions for purchase on a website, it recommends a TPMS Rebuild Kit. Is this necessary since the car is brand new? Can they use the ones that are already there?

I've also seen on the boards where I'll then have to do something at the dealer (Infiniti...or can Nissan do it??) regarding re-registration of the TPMS. Didn't realize this until today either.

Also, not sure what I'd do with the Dunlop's, maybe sell them?? Wish someplace would give me a credit toward my new tire purchase if I gave them the Dunlops. I would also assume that the Michelin and Goodyear tires (90,000 and 80,000 treadlife, respectively) would still be in fine shape at the end of my 39 month lease and I'd turn the car in with them on. I'm not a hard core driver, don't squeal the tires or do burnouts.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by jdljr; 02-25-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:14 PM
blueborat

Living in Canada... From my experience is: Snow tire is the only way to go. What you can do is to get another set of wheels (something smaller maybe 17s) and use 17inch snows. Just use you oem 18s with Dunlaps in the summer. The tire pressure light might be annoying in the winter but it does cost a lot to buy another set. just check your tire pressure regularly.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:15 PM
blueborat

17inch snows + wheels probably wont cost much more than 18 inch tires and you can maybe sell them or use on your next car after your lease it up.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:03 AM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tire & Wheel Noob here:

Would 17-inch rims for snow tires fit on the G37s sedan? I seem to recall reading somewhere the brakes were a bit larger on the sport. Also, what is the complete size of the tires that would go on 17s? Would it still need to be staggered?

Thanks
Old 02-26-2010, 02:18 PM
blueborat

If the car comes with the big 4 piston calipers with the 14inch disc ( same as the ones on the c37s coupe and has "infiniti" written on them) Then you will need to run at least 18 inch wheels. Also, If u want to get aftermarket wheels you will need to be really careful about the caliper clearance. So to answer your question: If u have the S with the big brakes the best is to get OEM size snow tires and mount and the oem wheels. It does not matter it is not stagger or not as long as it fits properly. IF u dont have big calipers, then you run 17 inchs with offset in the mid to high 40s and 225/55/17 snow tires.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:27 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jdljr
Last Saturday I initiated a 39 month lease on a 2010 G37x which came with the Dunlop SP SportMaxx tires. I live in the mountains of North Carolina and we get snow/ice (this year an unusual 7 feet of snow since Dec 5th!). I thought those tires might be ok for the winter, but I read somewhere where they're not intended for snow. While I hate the idea of replacing brand new tires, I guess I should think about replacing them and getting more appropriate tires. The two choices I've come up with are either the Michelin HydroEdge or Goodyear Assurance TripleTred. I don't want a winter set and a summer set of tires. I want one set of tires that are all weather.

My assumption is that either tire would be an ok choice. But I thought maybe some of you may have input on which one would be a better tire, especially for wet and snow traction.

Also, when I go through the motions for purchase on a website, it recommends a TPMS Rebuild Kit. Is this necessary since the car is brand new? Can they use the ones that are already there?

I've also seen on the boards where I'll then have to do something at the dealer (Infiniti...or can Nissan do it??) regarding re-registration of the TPMS. Didn't realize this until today either.

Also, not sure what I'd do with the Dunlop's, maybe sell them?? Wish someplace would give me a credit toward my new tire purchase if I gave them the Dunlops. I would also assume that the Michelin and Goodyear tires (90,000 and 80,000 treadlife, respectively) would still be in fine shape at the end of my 39 month lease and I'd turn the car in with them on. I'm not a hard core driver, don't squeal the tires or do burnouts.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Since you drive in the snow, you probably know, that tires single handedly make the the biggest difference in a car's handling. If you put those 80/90k life tires on the car, you've just effectively neutered the car. It will not turn or brake the way it did from the factory.

Spend the money on an extra set of tires, and enjoy the car the way it was meant to perform from the factory! Remember, All-season tires are, by definition, a compromise.

The factory TPMS doesn't need to be altered in any way if you keep the rims on the car, and only swap the tires.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:28 PM
Mike

Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman
Tire & Wheel Noob here:

Would 17-inch rims for snow tires fit on the G37s sedan? I seem to recall reading somewhere the brakes were a bit larger on the sport. Also, what is the complete size of the tires that would go on 17s? Would it still need to be staggered?

Thanks
18" minimum. Most aftermarket 18" rims will not clear the calipers due to spoke design. 19" and 20" are more likely, but still not guarenteed. Always test fit, or ask Lou@Amplified.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:05 PM
SM_Shadowman

Originally Posted by Mike
18" minimum. Most aftermarket 18" rims will not clear the calipers due to spoke design. 19" and 20" are more likely, but still not guarenteed. Always test fit, or ask Lou@Amplified.
Roger that. At tirerack I priced a set of 17" winter tires and rims for about $950, where the 18" was only around $100 more (not including tpms for either). So I'd just go with the 18s either way. Although I'm probably waiting until next fall, so I'll see what the prices look like then.

But I wasn't aware that some of the 18s wouldn't even fit. I guess this is going to take some more research...
Old 02-26-2010, 11:09 PM
SM_Shadowman

Originally Posted by blueborat
If the car comes with the big 4 piston calipers with the 14inch disc ( same as the ones on the c37s coupe and has "infiniti" written on them) Then you will need to run at least 18 inch wheels. Also, If u want to get aftermarket wheels you will need to be really careful about the caliper clearance. So to answer your question: If u have the S with the big brakes the best is to get OEM size snow tires and mount and the oem wheels. It does not matter it is not stagger or not as long as it fits properly. IF u dont have big calipers, then you run 17 inchs with offset in the mid to high 40s and 225/55/17 snow tires.

Yeah, it's the 2009 "S" sedan with the big brakes, and 18" OEM wheels. I'd just assumed any 18s would fit, so thanks to everyone for that info.

The problem with getting winter tires mounted on the oem wheels is having to pay twice a year to keep getting them changed. But who knows, maybe that still comes out better than buying a second set of rims. I'll check around.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:31 AM
Mike

If this is going to be a problem with every car you buy, remember that if you get "conservative" offsets, the wheels will likely fit on any Japanese car you buy.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:20 PM
SM_Shadowman

Anybody know if the people at Tirerack would know for sure which rims would fit my car? They seem to sell rims by vehicle, right down to the trim level.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:57 AM
Mike

Yes, they do. Give them a call. If they're not sure, they'll go as far as testing.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:57 AM
SM_Shadowman

Originally Posted by Mike
Yes, they do. Give them a call. If they're not sure, they'll go as far as testing.
Just what I wanted to hear, thanks!
Old 03-02-2010, 06:47 PM
Neal@tirerack
MYG37.COM Platinum Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Brakes are too larger to minus size on that car. Smallest we have been able to fit over the sport brakes is 18".