Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

benefit of coilover vs spings

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 12:55 AM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
benefit of coilover vs spings

I'm sure there is a thread about this but i cant find the answer i am looking for ..

I have a g37s and live in PA. While snow isnt common, I do need to prepare my ride for when it does snow. I have already put on blizzaks but I would like to lower my car.

I want to go the eibach pro-kit route as i like the subtle drop and is much cheaper then coilovers. Only drops an inch so should be fine for snow ..i hope

Only reason I would get coilovers is to raise back to stock height in winter so that if it does snow, I wont be a plowtruck.

I assume if I lower every spring and raise every winter, i have to get an alignmen every time right? What would you guys do in my situation?
Old 01-06-2010, 01:16 AM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah you need to get an alignment each time you adjust the height. I'd see if you can pick up a used set of eibachs in the classifieds first. Then if its too low for the winter just sell them without taking much of a hit and get some coils.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:01 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by beerme986
I'm sure there is a thread about this but i cant find the answer i am looking for ..

I have a g37s and live in PA. While snow isnt common, I do need to prepare my ride for when it does snow. I have already put on blizzaks but I would like to lower my car.

I want to go the eibach pro-kit route as i like the subtle drop and is much cheaper then coilovers. Only drops an inch so should be fine for snow ..i hope

Only reason I would get coilovers is to raise back to stock height in winter so that if it does snow, I wont be a plowtruck.

I assume if I lower every spring and raise every winter, i have to get an alignmen every time right? What would you guys do in my situation?
Yup, you'll need to align everytime back and forth. The Eibach drop isn't so bad for the snow. Give it a shot. It's a waste of money to go with coils for the sake of "lowering your ride"
Old 01-06-2010, 08:09 AM
BocaIvan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What they all said!
Old 01-06-2010, 09:11 AM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by beerme986

Where do you live in PA? I was at Penn State for 4 years and snow was VERY common. You must be closer to the MD border for snow to be uncommon.

Another thing to consider, although the Eibach drop is mild, if it snows enough that your dropped G37s on Eibach's is a plowtruck, then chances are you probably shouldnt be out driving a RWD sports car in the first place..... even with Blizzaks.

Thats why I have the G37 coupe, and the wife has a 4WD RAV4.

Another thing to consider is the price. Coilovers are going to make your suspension stiffer than springs. The cheapest coilover set is the tanabes, and they run 900ish. You can set a set of used eibachs for 150ish. If you are just getting coilovers to lower the height and you dont want the increased stiffness of the suspension, then I would definately get used springs and see how it works for a season. If it doesnt work, you can probably sell the springs for about the same price you paid and get your money back on the springs, and then do coilovers in the future.

Or if you do the work yourself, you can always go back to stock height by putting on the stock springs.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:09 AM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I live right around Philly and it used to snow more but the past few seasons it has been pretty mild (excluding the blizzard a few weeks ago).

Thanks for your inputs guys. I am going to try the eibach pro-kit first and see how I fare with that. Coilovers did seem like an overkill but I would have splurged for it, if the benefit was that great. no tracking or racing of any kind for me anyway.