Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Does anyone else find it ridiculous

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 01:04 AM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
You think stretched tires look stupid, I think fat chubby tires looks stupid. Were even.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:46 AM
ShanesG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know what they say...yu like your womenz like oyu like your tires.....

I guess fat chicks need love too

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

LOL
Old 10-30-2009, 02:18 AM
g37mobbin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dont want to post all the pictures of his car but this is his thread of his pictures

old set up

new set up
https://www.myg37.com/forums/picture...d-stretch.html

i guess he is now selling his set up...but i loved the way it looked
Old 10-30-2009, 09:20 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by speedracer g37
not much for putting myself in the position of getting a blowout or a bead coming off...looks stupid anyway. like sam said, flush without the stretch looks best.

NICE!! Notice that all the tread on these tires is still good. But no "stretch is safe, there is nothing to worry about"..yea right!
Old 10-30-2009, 09:24 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Funnier are the stories and examples that think they beat engineering design

"Of course it's safe, my friend ran 215 tires on his 15" wheel on his civic for 2 years and no issues what so ever"
Old 10-30-2009, 09:57 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by g37mobbin
i dont want to post all the pictures of his car but this is his thread of his pictures

i guess he is now selling his set up...but i loved the way it looked
That's another perfect example of a kick azz car gone rice.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:03 AM
DCook42

Wow OK thanks for the feedback. I was really bracing to get flamed for my OP, and was nervous that I'm just getting old (at age 30) and not in touch with what's cool anymore lol.

Those pics with the shredded tire are exactly what I was talking about. I guess I understand how it is cool (especially when parked) but turning hard on those bad boys would make me really nervous.

When I got my car back and had the Vossens/vredesteins installed, I thought that my tire looked a little stretched... but it's really nothing compared to some of the photos in this thread!

BTW, skinny jeans FTL!!!
Old 10-30-2009, 11:06 AM
g37mobbin

Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
That's another perfect example of a kick azz car gone rice.
how exactly is it rice?
Old 10-30-2009, 12:16 PM
ShanesG

Originally Posted by Kidcane
NICE!! Notice that all the tread on these tires is still good. But no "stretch is safe, there is nothing to worry about"..yea right!
Really, and you've ran with how many stretched setups?

That's 4 pictures, please provide the stories behind them otherwise those pics are absolutely pointless.
One of those is recent and is Levons car. and the reason his bead broke was because he was way low on tire pressure, had he taken the time to check his tire pressure that would not have happened. That's not due to tire malfunction.

If stretching tires were really that unsafe, so many people wouldn't do it. Sure the chance of something happening is a lil greater than running a "in spec" tire but it's really not THAT much a risk, especially if you use a tire that people have experience stretching. This style of stretching has been around for a very long time, it's nothing new.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:47 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I alway run stretch set up but no where near the extreme you all do. And dont get me wrong, I actually like the look it just is not pratical for daily drivers. I like to drive my car aggressively and that will lead to tire and wheel damage the way you all have it set up. Thye only thing I have seen first hand is some fender damage from being overly aggressive with the wheels but that has noting to do with the tire stretch. I doubt you all will post once you do damage your wheels or tires because of the flaming yoiu will take.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:35 PM
ShanesG

Well 99% of people who stretch to our extent understand the risks and aren't doing canyon runs or driving super aggressive. If something happens in daily driving then so be it, that's the risk you take. Shiit happens, whether its with fat tires, in sepc tires or stretch tires. The reason most prob wouldn't post if something happened would prob be because of all the d-bag comments that people would give when they have absolutely no knowledge about stretching tires.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:12 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
wow wow wow why is this starting to become personal and **** people off. Everyone is just sharing their opinion.

I'm sorry if you think a stretched setup is safe then you are mistaken, it's risky and increases the stresses put on tires which increases the chance of them blowing. Tires are designed with a certain safety margin so they can absorb and take the abuse, stretching them only decreases that margin. Safe is relative, but them being less safe and riskier than OEM is a fact.

It's like lowering springs, you risk bottoming out for a more aggressive look. Now loosen up yo! It's teh interwebz
Old 10-30-2009, 02:29 PM
ShanesG

I never said it was as safe as in spec. Never even implied that. I even said it's obviously riskier than running in spec tires. That's a given. I'm just stating it's not as dangerous as most people tend to believe. If it was that risky you'd see tire's blowing/shredding left and right, but you don't. You can even check out sites such as fatlace, wrong fitment crew, stanceworks, etc. pretty much everyone at those sites are running stretch so if a problem does happen they post it up there, and you can go through and find maybe a few threads out of 1000's that have had this happen.

People who run stretch KNOW the risks involved and still make a conscious decision to do it, so it's pointless to talk about "OMG ITS SO DANGEROUS BLAH BLAH BLAH" when we already know it's not AS SAFE as in spec tires. But it's nowhere near as dangerous as people tend to believe!
Old 10-30-2009, 07:37 PM
SteveG37

I like the stretched look, I also like a nice simple flush look, personally I enjoy both looks and have great admiration for those who can pull off the "stretched look", in fact I have great admiration for anyone that does any mods to their G, it's your own personal style that u put on your ride and that's what makes modding so great, it's that unique look we all put on our ride, and to say one look is better or worse is just silly, it's what u like and what you're comfortable with.

When you choose to go with the "stretched look" you understand that there are limitations that come with it, the same way as when u slam your car, u must modify the way you drive and sometimes even where u drive, as I'm starting to learn since being dropped on Tein S-Techs. But to just blanket hate on one setup over another is foolish IMO!
Old 10-30-2009, 07:56 PM
g37mobbin

good way to put it Steve

Quick Reply: Does anyone else find it ridiculous