replacing stock summer tires for the winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 12:51 PM
ak1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
replacing stock summer tires for the winter

Hi All,
I am planning to buy winter tires and rims for my 2009 g37s sedan to replace stock summer tires. I am going to buy tirerack recommeded package, Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 , with 4 rims and 4 tires mounted and balanced.
I have several questions:
1. Should I buy option TPMS sensors for tirerack, it is extra 360$? What are pros and cons?

2. My undestanding that if buy TPMS from tirerack, I will need to go to the dealer to make my car recoginize new sensros and then repeat the same process with my old sensors in the spring. Is it correct?

3. If I do not buy sensors from tirerack, I have 2 options
a)move sensors to winter tires/rims from summer rims/tires and then repeat this process in the spring
b) Do not set up tpms at all on winter tires
What option would you suggest?

4. Once I get the tires/rims, is it easy enough to install them myself, or is it better to go to the shop? They are supposed to be mounted/balanced by tirerack.

I did seach these forums many times, still did not find enough info for me to make a decition. Please, let me know your thoughts/share your experience

Thank you in advance!
Old 10-26-2009, 01:15 PM
JKashat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get the LM-60's instead. They are replacing the LM-25's, unless you're getting a great deal. TPMS sensors can be reused from your OEM wheels unless you don't want them broken down, then get the ones from Tire Rack. Check w/ the dealer to see what they'll charge for OEM TPMS sensors, price seams high for aftermarket. Again, as you mentioned, you can just not use TPMS sensors at all and save some cash.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:05 PM
Neal@tirerack
MYG37.COM Platinum Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
I'd say the majority of people get the sensors with the package. They don't want to deal with the light/alarm that goes off when a sensor
isn't present. Helps out also when you see lots of temp fluctuations this time of year. The new sensors will need to be initialized at the dealer. Typically a 1/2 or so labor cost.

If you do move sensors from wheel to wheel you'll need a new sensor gasket kit each time they come apart and get transferred. Once the gaskets that hold the sensor together are un-torqued they shouldn't be used again. Those gasket kits typically run $3-4 per sensor. I would think that after mult mount/balance and trans sensors on two different sets of wheels they will pay for themselves quite quickly if just purchased. The cost, I think, would be worth the saved hassle alone.

Install of our packages is really not different than changing a tire on the side of the road. Only extra step is taking them to the dealer for sensor initialization (if you buy new sensors).

Feel free to call me or mention my name online when ordering
Old 10-27-2009, 07:08 PM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
i personally couldn't care if i drive w/o the Tire sensors in the winter... it's temporary... then in the spring you won't need to recalibrate the sensors in your OEM wheels.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:18 PM
ak1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I called my local infiniti dealer this morning and they offered a reasonable deal on 4 blizzak LM-25 with new rims and 4 sensors, 1,500 for everything. They will replaces the tires and calibrate sensors for another 55$. So, I decided to go with this deal.

Thank you guys for responses and thank you Neal for the explanation how sensors are moved from the tires, I did not know that and it is good to know. I have read a lot of good reviews about tirerack.com, so the next set of tires for my car most likely will be from the tirerack
Old 10-30-2009, 09:25 AM
Neal@tirerack
MYG37.COM Platinum Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Sounds good give me a call!