Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Are Hotchkis sways worth the upgrade for "S" owners?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 11:59 PM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Are Hotchkis sways worth the upgrade for "S" owners?

So kinda like the title says, since the Sport pkg includes stiffer suspension, is it worth the investment to buy the Hotchkis sway bars? If I don't track/autocross my car, will I notice much difference versus the stock Sport suspension? I already know the install should be easy with Black Betty's DIY....just wanted feedback from some members....thanks!
Old 10-16-2009, 12:04 AM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would go with stillen. Cheaper and you don't track anyway lol.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:18 AM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I would say yes. They definatly provide a significant improvement over stock. Now if you dont track or anything they might not be a big deal, but if you enjoy taking entry/exit ramps and other nice curves at spirited speeds then I'd say they are definatly still worth it. The body roll was incredibly reduced and the car will just tuck and dive into turns. If your gonna do them might as well just get the hotchkis over stillen. They arent that much more and the design is alot better. They are alot thicker in diameter and the rears are adjustable. It's like any stillen part, they make alot of different things that perform good, but there are other comanies that are better. Hotchkis specializes in this stuff.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:19 AM
KnoxvilleG37

That's definitely a thought.....forgot about the Stillens. I guess my MAIN question is, if I don't track my car, is it worth upgrading to new sway bars? I've just got the mod itch again and need to do something about it LOL. Trying to hold off pulling the trigger on that new Invidia exhaust for now. That'll probably have to wait til after Christmas.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:21 AM
KnoxvilleG37

Damn....wakeboardr beat me to it. Yeah that's what I was figuring....on/off ramps. I'll probably pull the trigger after I get some more comments.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:31 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Hell effing yes. [/thread]
Old 10-16-2009, 01:51 AM
TJHG37S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an S model with Stillen sways and ES bushings and the car's handling was MUCH improved, probably the biggest leap in performance for the buck of any mod I've done.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:52 AM
SilverBullet

If you do not do any spirited driving, you wont notice a difference in the sways.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:48 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
If you do not do any spirited driving, you wont notice a difference in the sways.
I have to strongly disagree with you. Stiffening the suspension in this way changes the entire character of the way the car drives and handles even for everyday driving. I feel it every single mile of every day, even when driving normally. That's kind of like saying you wont notice the difference between the way a Camaro and a Cadillac feel in everyday driving.

You'll feel a difference on uneven roads. On every turn or curve. On every change of direction. In the way the car translates steering input. About the only way you won't feel much difference is if you are on a perfectly straight perfectly flat road. Anything else you will feel it.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:15 AM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just put on Hotchkis about a week ago and noticed the difference immediately when the install was finished. The G is my daily, I like to take turns somewhat quickly (streets and highway). But even normal driving, the turn-in is a little sharper, and steering is more responsive (which is the big plus that everyone loves).

You'll notice greatly reduced body roll, making the turn-ins more fun. I'd suggest Hotchkis over Stillens because Hotchkis' design (hollow), reputation in suspension, and 3 way adjustability in the rear.

I believe Amplified has 1 more set in stock.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:56 AM
KnoxvilleG37

Thanks guys....that's what I needed to hear. I'll be placing an order!
Old 10-16-2009, 01:28 PM
gthal

OK... slightly different but related question.

What would have a bigger impact... the GTSpec strut brace or Hotchkis sway bars? Obviously, you would probably want to do both but if you were only doing one, what makes the bigger difference in handling?
Old 10-16-2009, 02:16 PM
rfabian85

^^ I believe the sway bar will... WIll deff help with body roll... I just order the sway bars like 30 minutes ago.. I have the strut brace already but ordering the frame braces..
Old 10-16-2009, 02:23 PM
CEELOSG37S
LA G Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gthal
OK... slightly different but related question.

What would have a bigger impact... the GTSpec strut brace or Hotchkis sway bars? Obviously, you would probably want to do both but if you were only doing one, what makes the bigger difference in handling?

Sway bars would definitely make a bigger difference then just a strut bar man.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:30 PM
HamstersG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is what I am running as well. Good upgrade. Stillen/ES or Hotchkis are good. Go fot it.

Originally Posted by TJHG37S
I have an S model with Stillen sways and ES bushings and the car's handling was MUCH improved, probably the biggest leap in performance for the buck of any mod I've done.

Quick Reply: Are Hotchkis sways worth the upgrade for "S" owners?