Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Mad at dealer, misdiagnosis, wheel/car vibration, what are my options?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 03:21 PM
NyC Driven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mad at dealer, misdiagnosis, wheel/car vibration, what are my options?

So my car started vibrating really bad a month ago, mostly at hwy speeds from 60-75 mph. Took it to the dealer, they said that BOTH my front rims are bent and wanted $650 a pop plus $25 to mount/balance. I asked if they checked the entire drivetrain/suspension and they said everything else was fine, but I found it odd for the car to vibrate THIS bad and also the car feels very wobbly at times, tramlines alot, and doesnt stay on track. Car also kinda wobbles at low speeds like side to side or up/down (like as if the car was riding on square blocks) .

My cars lease is up in 8 months so i refused to pay that much for brand new wheels and found some from a local guy on the forum for much cheaper. Tires were still in good condition, car has 18k on it. Got the new wheels mounted and balanced at a local tire shop.

Well guess what, vibration is STILL there, no difference whatsoever. And my old wheels weren't even bent anywhere.

So now Im P/O that I had to spend alotta money on buying new wheels, getting them mounted and balanced when that wasnt even the problem. So what can I hold the dealership liable for because they obviously presented me with a misdiagnosis which made me go out and make a purchase for something I didnt need.

I am going back there this week to have it re-examined and this time Im leaving the car, getting a loaner and telling them to run through every possible thing they can including mounting all new wheels/tires from another car and drive it, check every inch and corner of the drivetrain including wheel bearings, U joints, axlerods, tie ends, suspension, etc. and do an alignment if need be and ONLY if something resolves the current problem for good and gets the car feeling like new and SAFE to drive, will I take it back.

Aside from that, what can be possible causes of this issue that I can bring up to the service dept? And what are my options and rights on the current issue with the misdiagnosis? Thank you for your help.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:26 PM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should try a Road force balance which yields better results than a traditional balance; if this does not fix it, then I would guess that your tires are out of round and need replacement.

Is the vibration felt in the steering wheel only or throughout the body of the car?
Old 09-28-2009, 04:55 PM
NyC Driven

Throughout the body of the car, steering wheel seats floor shifter glove comp everywhere...why do I feel like its not the tires though and something worse, they inspected my tires 3 weeks ago and said tires were fine...i dont feel like an off balanced wheel or worn tires will result in this bad of a vibration. And i just did a full alignment at the dealer in may. I have a feeling the wheel bearing is busted.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:00 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
A bent suspension component perhaps? Did you hit or scrape on anything?
Old 09-28-2009, 05:02 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You know what to be honest mine does the same thing. When I'm cruisin at around 65ish, the car starts to BARELY vibrate. And when i give it just A HAIR of throttle, the car starts vibrating a lot worse. But when I give it about half throttle, the vibration goes away until I come to a constant cruising speed. After about 3 seconds, it starts BARELY vibrating again. And when I decelerate it goes away completely until I give it gas. Kinda hard to explain, but I along with my GF feel it when on the highway. Its to the point where my radar detector shakes like crazy. Been meaning to take it into the dealer to get it checked out. Not my wheels, not my alignment.

Good luck OP and I'm anxious to see what they find out.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:09 PM
NyC Driven

Havent hit or scraped anything that I could remember. My vibration is BAD, not a barely vibrates or shakes a little, the front end even WOBBLES when I begin acceleration or coming to a stop (5-20 mph). Feels like the car at points in time is also pulling to one side (random either left or right depending on the road) kinda like a tramline or hydroplane and I lose control of the car and have to pull it hard back onto the center of the road, dangerous to drive like this.

Ive had some tramlining from the time I first got the car back in 08 but just ignored it thinking this is just the way it drives maybe the nature of these tires to just tramline a bit.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:18 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
OK this is EXACTLY what I have been experienceing! Only the SLIGHTEST of vibration on the highway, but for me it gets really bad and you can really feel it when I hit the brakes. I've had the wheels and tires balanced 3 times including road force balancing so that is NOT the problem. I talked to my tire guy again and he said if brakeing is intensifying the effect then thats most likely the problem. I just got off the phone with the dealer and I'm gonna take it in next week to have the TSB for warped rotors done so maybe that will fix it.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:18 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
That kind of sounds like something may be loose in your suspension. Very odd. Get them to drive it and don't take it back from them until they can find and correct it.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:21 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
If it wobbles at 5 to 20 mph,you got suspension issue.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:29 PM
Mike P

Low speed wobbling is a suspension issue. Could be a combination of rotors and suspension.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:29 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
the warped brakes can cause an issue as well. we don't have the best roads in NYC so bent rims are going ot happen
Old 10-02-2009, 06:46 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Yes but he said he changed the rims,with another set.and I said the same thing you did.when I had complained,similar problem.told rims are bent.so idk.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:26 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
if you're not happy at that dealership for service, you're welcome to come down to my dealership out in LI.

If it's not the wheels, the only other options could be the wheel bearing .... I had mine replaced from a crappy pothole causing my wheel bearing to go bad.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:42 PM
rAvi665

shouldn't that be covered under the warranty? that sucks
Old 10-02-2009, 09:29 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
If you turn from side to side does it change? If you drag the breaks while keeping it at a steady speed, does it change? Wheel bearings?

Quick Reply: Mad at dealer, misdiagnosis, wheel/car vibration, what are my options?