Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Lower control arm bushing leak.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 11:55 PM
kame_sanjo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lower control arm bushing leak.

Hey, dealership said my left front lower control arm bushing is leaking. How much does it cost to fix and what would casue this?
Old 08-24-2009, 12:21 AM
HamstersG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Going to need one of the techs to post up as I don't recall a sealed bushing in the lower control arm that would "leak" when I was working on the upper control arms. But if there is something that is failing, then why wouldn't they fix it for free under warranty?

Originally Posted by kame_sanjo
Hey, dealership said my left front lower control arm bushing is leaking. How much does it cost to fix and what would casue this?
Old 08-24-2009, 11:42 AM
kame_sanjo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They said it wasn't something that needed to be fixed right away. I think I read some cars have fluid bushings for added noise reduction.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:19 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Bumping this thread, I have a click sound going over humps at slow speeds. Could this be caused by worn lower control arm bushings?

I am lowered and have the spc front camber kit. Could the click sound be the ball joint on camber kit?
Old 09-21-2012, 09:48 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Presto
Bumping this thread, I have a click sound going over humps at slow speeds. Could this be caused by worn lower control arm bushings?

I am lowered and have the spc front camber kit. Could the click sound be the ball joint on camber kit?
I don't know if that is the cause of your sound, but they are greasable.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:18 PM
jujubii
Premier Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
op, i believe have the same issue.

my tires are feathering (front driver out and passenger inner. the tread block was going high-to-low in the direction of rotation) and i brought it to west end to have my suspension checked out.
my toe and camber was spot on. my issue camber from the bushings 'giving' too much (play) and essentially 'dragging' my tires when i turned. you should check your tires for abnormal wear as well. it was a simple fix for me... because i have asymmetrial & non-directional tires, swapping the front tire and wheel would essentially reverse the wear. for long term considerations, im switching out to spherical! gunna get the spl stuff.

they bushings ARE liquid filled, though. i would suggest either switching out to OEM bushings or spherical bearings (you're going to trade some comfort for performance though). the polyurethane bushings are VERY bad for a replacement in this specific area, rubber/liquid-filled or spherical is where you want to be at. It's because this specific part has 2 axis's of rotation. poly bushings are hard and good for 1 axis while restricts the other (hence why theyre commonly used for swaybars). rubber/liquid works by allowing deformation. spherical.. well, it's spherical! cost-wise, the bushing itself is reasonable(if the dealer sells replacements... im not too sure) however, the labor is going to hit you pretty hard in the go-nads. btw, this kinda issue was very common in the z33 scene, or so i;m told.
Thats if i'm thinking about the same bushing youre having issues with though.... the lower arm assembly is kinda funky and isnt the same as the g35

OPPS, didnt realize op's post was 3+years old DMGI, doesnt matter good info
Presto, is the sound a squishy sound or a a specific click? i'll say if it's squishy, it's probably the hot weather messsing with the bushings a little, wont matter unless it's leaking. clicking, not sure.

Last edited by jujubii; 09-21-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:29 AM
Presto

Originally Posted by jujubii

they bushings ARE liquid filled, though. i would suggest either switching out to OEM bushings or spherical bearings (you're going to trade some comfort for performance though).
if its liquid filled then my passenger side is definitely leaking as i can see some kind of liquid/grease around them like as if they leaked out.

Originally Posted by jujubii
Presto, is the sound a squishy sound or a a specific click? i'll say if it's squishy, it's probably the hot weather messsing with the bushings a little, wont matter unless it's leaking. clicking, not sure.
its a click, kind of click you would get if you have a loose bolt on suspension for example but i have checked all bolts are torqued right.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:47 AM
jujubii
Premier Member

as you may or may not know, the lower control arm (called the tranverse link by the FSM) is actually more of a combined/unit (compared to the g35s). it has 3 ends with a bushing on each. one end has is connnected to the lower end of the shock, the other end is the the what many parts site list as the front lower "inner" arm bushing (which is known to have funky issues), and the "new" end (which didnt exist on the g35). this "new" end has quite a large bushing and is connect to the suspension member i believe. i am pretty SURE is liquid filled (not sure about the other 3... it may just be rubber).
could you please take a picture of the supposed leaking side?

I currently have issues with the "new" side and since there isnt an aftermarket solution available for it im SOL.

as for the clicks i'm not too sure. update me know your investigation proves successful!
Old 09-24-2012, 12:06 PM
Presto

Thanks for the info jujubii

Currently at dealership, though knowing the morons working there as soon as they see my coilovers and camber kit they will blame it on that and will not do any further investigation.
Will have to figure out source of click on my own.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:04 PM
eVitO

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I believe only engine mount bushings and the diff bushing have fluid. All our other bushings aren't fluid filled, just greased up.

And Presto, that's exactly why I haven't gone to the dealership once. I have my own mechanic and I change my own oil and what not.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:31 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
What bushings are greaseable? I don't recall seeing zerk fittings on the OE parts.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:38 AM
ashmostro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for the info jujubii

Currently at dealership, though knowing the morons working there as soon as they see my coilovers and camber kit they will blame it on that and will not do any further investigation.
Will have to figure out source of click on my own.
You mentioned your car is "lowered"... how? Coilovers? If so, it could be a loose upper mount, either a pillowball (if you have one), or another part in the upper mount may be excessively worn, assuming you checked torque on all the bolts up there too.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:40 PM
Presto

It's not the bushing.
Have to check the coilovers and camber kits again.
What are signs of blown coilover? I have the tanabe coils and I did read some threads a while back abou them blowing out.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:08 PM
ashmostro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Look for leaking oil out of the coils.
How did you determine it's not a bushing?
Old 09-26-2012, 08:29 PM
jujubii
Premier Member

It's not the bushing.
Have to check the coilovers and camber kits again.
What are signs of blown coilover? I have the tanabe coils and I did read some threads a while back abou them blowing out.
clunking thumping sounds
its refusal to bounce

Quick Reply: Lower control arm bushing leak.