Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Warped Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 10:41 PM
S6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warped Rotors

A couple of months ago I had my car back to the dealers for a couple of warranty issues. I reported the front rotors being warped but the denied the problem saying the brakes were "operating as designed". The rotors have become progressively worse and I cuss the dealership every time I step on the brakes. I'm going to take it back again and fight with them if necessary. Has anyone else had problems with warped rotors and/or have any advice in getting the dealership to stand behind the car and fix the problem?

Thanks,
John
Old 03-22-2009, 10:43 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
when you say you have warped rotors... what do you mean? how are you concluding they are warped? are you just getting break squeaking?
Old 03-22-2009, 10:46 PM
S6MT

Originally Posted by aliiin
when you say you have warped rotors... what do you mean? how are you concluding they are warped? are you just getting break squeaking?
They're warped. Heavy vibration or left-right wobble in the steering wheel only under braking...
Old 03-22-2009, 10:50 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
you should really call infiniti corporate if they refuse to work on your car especially with a warped rotor..
Old 03-22-2009, 11:51 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
If your car is still under 12K (I think) they may turn them for you for free. There is no warranty period at all that I'm aware of for warped brake rotors they are a wear item. If they won't do it, why make such an issue of it? Just take them to almost any auto parts store and get them turned for about $30 and be done with it.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:46 AM
S6MT

Originally Posted by Black Betty
If your car is still under 12K (I think) they may turn them for you for free. There is no warranty period at all that I'm aware of for warped brake rotors they are a wear item. If they won't do it, why make such an issue of it? Just take them to almost any auto parts store and get them turned for about $30 and be done with it.
I'm at 19K miles. Warped rotors are normal wear? I don't agree. They shouldn't warp and now they should be replaced, not turned. I put 45K hard miles, and 2 sets of pads on my G35's Brembos and those rotors were always smooth as silk.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:56 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by S6MT
I'm at 19K miles. Warped rotors are normal wear? I don't agree. They shouldn't warp and now they should be replaced, not turned. I put 45K hard miles, and 2 sets of pads on my G35's Brembos and those rotors were always smooth as silk.
No way they are going to do anything for your rotors at 19K, sorry. Yes, warped rotors are a wear item, just like brake pads and wiper blades. If you think a new rotor that's warped needs replacement instead of being machined, I'd like to be your parts guy.

A lot of different things can cause warped rotors besides them being defective. Not necessarily your fault or the rotors' fault. I've gotten my brakes really hot and went through a big puddle when it was cold outside once (in another car). The cold water hitting the red hot rotors warped them almost instantly.

Why would you replace them instead of having them machined?
Old 03-23-2009, 02:12 AM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Black Betty's right. Rotors can warp very easily given the right circumstances. It is not the manufacturers fault.....
Old 03-23-2009, 02:43 AM
xyz
Registered Member

It is wear and tear . . .
Old 03-23-2009, 01:23 PM
joeposter
Registered Member

Rotors shouldn't warp and should be covered under warranty. A dealer can't just pick and choose what is covered under warranty.

Edit- you might just need new brakes which obviously wouldn't be under warranty.

I'm not sure if I believe this but a a lot of people say rotors rarely warp.

Last edited by joeposter; 03-23-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Tainui

Normally I would agree with the other posters here regarding the warp. My G has 650 miles and the very first time I got into the brakes on a hard exit.....the old familiar shudder from warped rotors. A Service writer was kind enough to inform me that it is "Lot rot" because my 2008 was a leftover and had been sitting. The problem will "more than likely go away as the brakes bed in."

Why not just tell me that there's nothing they can do instead of lying to me. Like I'm some schmuck that has never driven a car before.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:42 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by joeposter
Rotors shouldn't warp and should be covered under warranty. A dealer can't just pick and choose what is covered under warranty.

Edit- you might just need new brakes which obviously wouldn't be under warranty.

I'm not sure if I believe this but a a lot of people say rotors rarely warp.
I wholeheartedly disagree with you, rotors do warp. By the term "warp", I mean that the entire disc assembly isn't warped, but the friction surface isn't completely flat as it should be.

It's not picking and choosing what's under warranty. The warranty booklet expressly excludes brakes as a maintenance item (p. 6) but specifically states "brake pads" and not brake rotors so he might argue that point. I doubt he'll win though. It will probably depend on his dealership and his relationship with them. I had my rotors machined at about 11K, but my service advisor told me that he was going to do it free although they were not obligated to do so and should have charged me for it.

OP, if you take it to the dealer for this let us know what they tell you and how it turns out.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:19 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so if your rotors warp on your drive from the dealership the day u buy the car - it's still wear and tear? lol that sucks! a line needs to be drawn where its defective if it happens too fast. whether thats under 6, 9, 12k etc.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
so if your rotors warp on your drive from the dealership the day u buy the car - it's still wear and tear? lol that sucks! a line needs to be drawn where its defective if it happens too fast. whether thats under 6, 9, 12k etc.
That's a valid point. It's not specified, but like I said, if you go in and talk to them and not demand your rights, they can be pretty reasonable people, at least at my dealership. They did mine free at 11K. The service writer told me that even thoughthey aren't obligated to, they will probably do it as "customer goodwill" up to about 12K if there's no signs of abuse. Just like how they were doing the alignments for low mileage people with problems.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:42 PM
HamstersG

I agree with you. I also find them more open to "free" stuff when I am flexible with when I want it done and schedule it with other stuff they get paid for. I just have not seen the terrible service from dealers that some of you have and for that I am very thankful.

Originally Posted by Black Betty
That's a valid point. It's not specified, but like I said, if you go in and talk to them and not demand your rights, they can be pretty reasonable people, at least at my dealership. They did mine free at 11K. The service writer told me that even thoughthey aren't obligated to, they will probably do it as "customer goodwill" up to about 12K if there's no signs of abuse. Just like how they were doing the alignments for low mileage people with problems.

Quick Reply: Warped Rotors