Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Twitchy steering on the highway

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Need a G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Twitchy steering on the highway

I have an 08 G37S with 16,000 miles.
I have alot of trouble keeping the car in a straight line on the highway.
I am constantly correcting the steering. It's really very annoying and makes driving on the highway work.

Could it be worn tires?
A problem with the speed sensitive steering?
Something else?

Thanks for any help.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:23 PM
SFG37S

Alignment is your Friend!............All roads?...........Tires worn more on one side of the front tires and not the other?...................Car not tracking straight if ya let go of the wheel?.........If yes to any of these three.....................Alignment is your Friend!
Old 03-07-2009, 08:31 AM
Need a G

Is it under warranty?
Old 03-07-2009, 08:45 AM
superslick

If you cant keep your car in a straight line, it may just be your alignment.

My issue is that I feel the steering is too sensitive. I had an '07 and the steering was firm. Since the first day I bought my '08, I've always felt the steering was too sensitive, especially on the highways. Steering wheel is all over the place. I never brought it up to service since I thought that was part of the design.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:01 AM
SFG37S

Originally Posted by Need a G
Is it under warranty?
Nope! Do you guys have a death grip on the wheel or something? Yeh, the stearing is sensitive but, its supposed to be. After all, our cars are sports coupes. Try relaxing a little bit. Hold the wheel more like you would a bird and gently guide the vehicle down the road. Works for me!
Old 03-07-2009, 09:39 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

I have never had a twitchy steering feel before or after lowering. I agree that an alignment sounds due. This is one of the best tracking cars I have ever owned. I had a 911 that jumped around in the highway like a fucking frog
Old 03-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Scoobyj

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey, I had the same problem until I stopped drinking and driving!
Old 03-07-2009, 10:45 AM
Need a G

It's not how I drive. It wasn't like this when I first got it.
I have had many years of experience driving high HP sports cars.
I know these have speed sensitive steering, but this is rediculous.
From your responses, I agree that it needs an alignment.
I'm gonna call the dealer Monday.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:16 AM
notalk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm gonna call the dealer Monday.
Why? The line mechanics get paid on "book hours". The book on aligning a G37 coupe is two hours. If the mechanic can do the alignment in one hour, he will get paid for two hours of work done in one hour. All the mechanic needs to do is get your car within specs. This may work for you. Or, it may get rid of one problem, but lead to something else you do not like with the steering. Your objective is to get as close to the specs you want. The mechanic's objective is to get your car within specs as quickly as possible so he can move on to another job and make more money.

You said you have many years experience driving high horsepower sports cars. Do you have a good understanding of suspension and alignment? If not, spend the weekend studying the effects of toe, camber and caster on steering feel. Then, you can help your aligner get you the exact specs you want while staying within specs. (A good alignment for our cars is as close to the nominal as possible while erring on the side of minimum, not the maximum, if the aligner can't exactly hit nominal.)

Now, ask around and find a good alignment shop in your area. A good alignment shop will usually do a much better job than the dealer. You will be happier with the result and probably spend less money.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:57 PM
junyea

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a similair problem.

On this particular highway, 101 North in Downtown LA, there is alot of tittie bumps. With my other cars (2004 G35, 2005 G35, and 2004 Honda Accord) I was able to go over these bumps on the road withought the steering wheel going all over the place. With my G37, it seems like I have to hang onto the wheel with both hands. I never experienced this before. With my other cars the steering wheel would not be guided by the bumps on the road. I don't every recall having to hold on to the steering wheel, to keep the car from moving. I can be going 20mph during traffic, or 55mph, and still feel the pull to the side.

I have had an alignment done. My car on the street is able to track straight without me driving it.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:04 PM
04STi208G37
Registered Member

Toe

Toe in tends to make it twitchy
Toe out tends to make it track straight. I prefer a little bit of toe out. It does get annoying if you have some toe in or 0 toe after you been used to a little toe out. Even in spec, the difference can be quite noticeable at speed

Last edited by 04STi208G37; 03-08-2009 at 11:30 AM. Reason: clarification, spelling
Old 03-08-2009, 09:43 AM
Need a G

Why call the dealer? Because I want them to pay for it.
Why should I. For the money I paid for it, there should'nt be a handeling issue.

Junyea, thanks for chiming in. Aparently someone else has the same issue.

04STI208G37 - thanks for input too. I have a better idea of how to get the car to behave the way I want it to.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:55 AM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Guys, any car with big, sticky summer tires will try to follow any imperfections in the road. Mine has done this ever since I got it (as has several other cars I've owned). An alignment will not fix this. If the car consistently wanders in one direction, thats an alignment issue. If the wheel actually tugs in one direction then another, it is the road you are driving on.....
Old 03-08-2009, 12:06 PM
notalk

Originally Posted by 04STi208G37
Toe in tends to make it twitchy
Toe out tends to make it track straight.
Other way around.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:12 PM
notalk

Why call the dealer? Because I want them to pay for it.
Why should I. For the money I paid for it, there should'nt be a handeling issue.
Adjustments, which includes alignments, are covered for 12,000 miles. If your dealer does a free alignment (and remember, you get what you pay for), it will be as a courtesy to you (and, most likely, the tech will be told the dealership is eating the cost, so don't expect the world's greatest alignment).

Junyea, thanks for chiming in. Aparently someone else has the same issue.
Many G37's have this issue. It has been discussed before. The Factory wanted to tune some of the FM turn-in hesitancy out of this generation.

04STI208G37 - thanks for input too. I have a better idea of how to get the car to behave the way I want it to.
Since his post was backwards, you might want to do your own research on this before accepting free advice, including this free advice.

Quick Reply: Twitchy steering on the highway