Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Twitchy steering on the highway

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 03:01 PM
notalk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Callaway, one thing to look at might be the power steering fluid level. I have this same dartiness on certain roads (actually really noticable on one road on my way home from work). I changed air filters last week (don't believe the 30K mile change interval, but, that's another post) and noticed my power steering level at the MIN mark. I topped up to the MAX mark. Don't get me wrong, this is not a perfect cure, but it does tighten the steering a little bit. It tightened the steering enough so that I notice the twitchiness, but it no longer feels like the road wants to move the steering wheel instead of my hands.

I will be getting an alignment in a couple of weeks and I will see what that improves as well. As far as the power steering fluid level, well, it's just a suggestion and can't hurt anything.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:03 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
good idea notalk. this is definitely something i will check out.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:43 PM
sportslux
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible Wandering Cause

My 2009 G37x didn't pass inspection due to tire wear but it tracked as straight as a string. I got new Michelin tires all around and then had it aligned per Infiniti specs. Immediately I noticed the wander and was steering all the time around zero. If I turned to the left it would continue left if I let go of the wheel. I had to steer it back to zero. Same with steering right. Would not return to zero without steering.

Note1: I might add that I drove the car with new tires before I had it aligned and there was no wander. When aligned to Infiniti specs, it wandered.

I took it back and had the alignment checked. A couple tweeks were made to improve the adjustment accuracy even though the first alignment was within spec. The car still wanders.

So the new tires were eliminated as a cause.

That leaves the Infiniti specs as being the problem.

Note2: All four of the original tires were wearing on the inside.

Questions remaining:

Has Infiniti changed their specs?
Does the Infiniti dealership change the alignment settings to prevent wandering and then the tires wear on the inside as a result? They probably would not admit to this scenario even if they did.

Based on my experience stated above, what is specified and what they set the alignment to is different. A catch 22: wandering or tire wear...take your choice!

Any other ideas out there for my story?