Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Twitchy steering on the highway

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 01:56 AM
SteveBKNY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Afs

I bet u its that Active steer SHlT.. so glad i dont have it in my G. I have everything but RAS, spoiler and illuminated plates.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:46 AM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't have the 4WAS option and it's not an alignment issue because it will only happen on certain sections of road.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:20 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You all sure that its not the normal feeling you get from a rear wheel drive car with with low profile tires and running some negative camber?

Makes it feel like it slightly pulls back in forth, expecially at high speed on the highway?
Old 03-24-2009, 02:04 PM
SFG37S

Originally Posted by Callaway
No disrespect, but I don't think you have really personally experienced the twitchy steering that is being discussed on here. If you did, you would know that it's much different than steering feedback or torque steer that is found in FWD. If you held the steering wheel "like a bird" during these situations, I can assure you that you would fly off the road. Not sure why it's so bad on the G37, my 04 G35C was nowhere as bad with this.
No disrespect to you either, But I just got back form a 2300 total mile drive (for the second time in the G) from S.F to Seattle and back and the only time I experienced twitchy steering was when I drove through the "snow grooves" on Hwy 5 caused by all the studded tire use up in Washington state and a few places where road construction was being performed in Oregon.
Even at that it was entirely manageable and I gently guided the car straight and it was all good. Hell, Anything you drive will twitch around on the road if the conditions are right. A gentle touch on the wheel has never and I repeat never caused me to fly off the road! This is coming from a person that has driven everything form a semi to a go-kart! If you are confidant in your abilities to handle what ever vehicle you are driving then its never a problem. In fact most of the time when I am cruising, I only have one hand on the wheel!.......................Motor On!
Old 03-24-2009, 03:04 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Congrats on your superior driving skills but again, you have not experienced the twitchy steering that is being addressed in this thread.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:21 PM
SFG37S

Maybe you can answer this, If we both drive the same car, Then why is it you seem to experience a "twitchy" driving situation and I don't? Either you have terrible roads in your area,Our tires don't like the roads in your area,Your tire pressure is not right, Your alignment is completely off, or your car has been lowed so far that you have complety thrown off your suspension geometry.

In any case, I am not trying to puff out my chest as to my driving ability, Just pointing out that if you are having these issues with your car, SOMETHING must be wrong! My car seems to track just fine.

I also stand by my original statement that there is no need for a "death" grip on the steering wheel! In most Road conditions "Gentile" steering input will guide the vehicle. Its part of being smooth behind the wheel. If we are now talking about performance driving, Then that may be a whole other story, However, I still see no need for a death grip on the wheel!

You are right ,I have not experienced this phenomena to the degree that I may lose control and I hope I never will!

Have a awesome day, and enjoy the ride!
Old 03-25-2009, 09:13 AM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

My car is completely stock. 99.9% of the time, it's fine. It happens only on certain sections of road which is the part that thorougly confuses me.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:24 PM
SFG37S

As I stated before, Any vehicle including a motor cycle (probably the worst of all ) will experience a certain amount of a twitchy feel if the road conditions are right what with all of the construction, pavement grooving, surface transitions and just plain old pot holes .
Sporty type cars with precise steering magnify the experience. It's our job to be ready to react. I guess its just part of the joys of motoring! The sucky part!
Old 04-03-2009, 11:50 PM
phishman

My car is completely stock. 99.9% of the time, it's fine. It happens only on certain sections of road which is the part that thorougly confuses me.
I have the exact same problem. Never happened on my 05 6mt w/ 19s. I drive mostly highway miles and recently get a really hard pull to the right on slowing to a stop off the interstate and on quick stops on a typical 45mph road. Ive had my 08 almost a year w/ only 6k miles and it just started pulling hard within the last 3 months. Each month it gets worse, is an alignment covered under my lease? The tires look fine but a mechanic friend said its possible the brakes are faulty on one side?

SFG37S I am well aware of everything you mentioned and I feel it is in your best interest to know that not all our cars are carbon copies of each other. They are, in the end, manufactured by humans and therefore not perfect. I'm sure you are only trying to help but just b/c your car has no faults does not mean the rest of us are so lucky. No offense.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:26 AM
SFG37S

None taken! I agree and if you read what I stated, There has to be something wrong. Trust me if my ride started wandering, and jerking all over the road, I would be camping out with Infiniti until I was happy.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:33 AM
SFG37S

P.S Phish, Your problem sounds like it is definitely a brake issue. Possibly the caliper is hanging up on the piston release.

Have you ever over heated your brakes? In any case, I would think that would be a warranty issue as long as there is no abnormal wear.

Last edited by SFG37S; 04-04-2009 at 01:38 AM. Reason: add a line
Old 04-04-2009, 09:17 AM
js3350z

I have experianced this since day one, on certain roads... roads that have alot of heavy trucking end up getting messed up, when the trucks come up to the lights when it is real hot out they put grooves in the road over time

some intersections it is terrible, I have a streetbike with just about the highest seat height out of any of them (07 r6) and I came up to a light, went to put my left foot down and almost droped the bike cause my foot went down about 4 inches from where I was expecting the ground to be (the bike was on the non-grooved section, my foot consequently wasn't)

I never got the severe pulling sensation with my truck, but have felt it with the bike a few times

good luck with whatever happens
Old 04-04-2009, 01:15 PM
phishman

SFG37S, thanks for the info. I will definitely have them look at the brakes next time I go in for an oil change.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:13 AM
G37HKS

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
easy question..
here what u have to do.. go to the dealer and tell him to check the balance of ur car..
Old 04-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

read all the responses before responding. it's not as easy as you think.

Quick Reply: Twitchy steering on the highway