Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Twitchy steering on the highway

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 12:44 PM
Need a G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The bottom line here is that the car does not behave the way it did when I first got it.
Therefore something is wrong.
I will do some research -talk to the dealer and an independent shop.
I don't agree that the dealer will do a poorer job than an independent-I spent good money when I bought the car. They don't want me to go away unhappy.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:35 PM
04STi208G37
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Me Wrong

I stand corrected.

Toe-in discourages turn-in and makes the car less sensitive to steering input.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:01 PM
notalk

Originally Posted by Need a G
The bottom line here is that the car does not behave the way it did when I first got it.
It's over a year old and has 16K miles on it. It is not the same car as when you first got it.

Therefore something is wrong.
Or, maybe, you drove 16K miles in over a years usage.

I will do some research -talk to the dealer and an independent shop.
Please let us know what they both say.

I don't agree that the dealer will do a poorer job than an independent-I spent good money when I bought the car.
That was then. This is now.

Good luck with this.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:12 PM
Need a G

I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:17 PM
levin91e

My G feels twitchy at times but I think it has to do with road surface irregularities and the 4was.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:34 PM
G_Thang

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an 08 G37S with 16,000 miles.
I have alot of trouble keeping the car in a straight line on the highway.
I am constantly correcting the steering. It's really very annoying and makes driving on the highway work.

Could it be worn tires?
A problem with the speed sensitive steering?
Something else?

Thanks for any help.
Does it pull? If its hard to keep straight and the front end seems to "wander" its negative caster, not camber! Negative caster makes the car feel light in the front end and it wants to drift back and forth, not in any one direction. People often say it feels "light" in the front end.

Last edited by G_Thang; 03-19-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:17 PM
notalk

I'll keep everyone posted.

Any updates?
Old 03-19-2009, 09:34 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

I experience twitchy steering on certain sections of road. I think it has a lot to do with the low profile tires which can get "caught" in the grooves, irregularities of road surfaces.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:39 PM
xlack
Registered Member

Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
I have never had a twitchy steering feel before or after lowering. I agree that an alignment sounds due. This is one of the best tracking cars I have ever owned. I had a 911 that jumped around in the highway like a fucking frog
hahaha i love how u describe it a ****ing frog

i learned how to write in fuck now too..
Old 03-20-2009, 09:47 PM
G Nack 37s

i agree with callaway about the low pros i have had them on one of my previously owned car and they would get caught and slip in the direction the grove is leaning towards
Old 03-20-2009, 10:10 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I put the rear camber kit on a couple of days ago and haven't been driving my car. I can easily see that the car has way more positive camber and positive toe than before. The rears aren't even and one has neutral camber while the other still has a very slight negative camber. When I took it out for a short drive to the post office today I was shocked at how huge the difference is from how it was before. All over the place and difficult to control to the point of being dangerous. I'm taking it to a shop in the morning to get it aligned to my specs.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:28 PM
pdarby

When I first got my G I noticed it tended to wonder more then any other car I had. After I talked to a lot of people I discoverd that driving with wide tires, something I hadn't really done before , is a little different than normal narrow tires. These wide one, 245 on front and 275 on rear, are very sensitive to worn groves and ruts in the highway. A lot more so than narrow ones.
My .02 worth.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:36 PM
htownboy
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SFG37S
Nope! Do you guys have a death grip on the wheel or something? Yeh, the stearing is sensitive but, its supposed to be. After all, our cars are sports coupes. Try relaxing a little bit. Hold the wheel more like you would a bird and gently guide the vehicle down the road. Works for me!
+1
I think your used to driving a solid axle rear wheel drive car, truck or a FWD car... Our G's have 4 wheel independent suspension and give great steering feedback, you will have to 'drive' this car rather than just point it, like lets say an F150. Grooves or uneven pavement make you work more but I love it!
You will get accustom to it. Do keep it aligned also, I have mine re-aligned every 15,000 miles and it drives sweet!
Old 03-23-2009, 09:35 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

No disrespect, but I don't think you have really personally experienced the twitchy steering that is being discussed on here. If you did, you would know that it's much different than steering feedback or torque steer that is found in FWD. If you held the steering wheel "like a bird" during these situations, I can assure you that you would fly off the road. Not sure why it's so bad on the G37, my 04 G35C was nowhere as bad with this.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:34 AM
htownboy
Registered Member

Then it must be (could be) alignment issues... But I know a few people coming form driving Honda's and Mazda's that are complaining about the uneven roads pulling the wheel and I've driven a few of their G's and found no problems at all. This is my 3rd G (my 1st. 2nd. gen G), My mom is on her 2nd G (had an 03 now an 08 sedan). and I've driven some friends G's and all the 2nd. gen G's behave basically the same on the roads as far as I can tell by driving. Unless you specify alignment specs, you are going to get some good feedback around these roads in Houston even with a fresh alignment if OEM spec.

Quick Reply: Twitchy steering on the highway