Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Sport Suspension to Eibachs...worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 11:13 PM
Reed19x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sport Suspension to Eibachs...worth it?

Quick question...don't know a lot about suspension so here goes...If I have the sport suspension that comes with the car (as well as sport brakes etc.)...is there any point to putting Eibach springs on my car? I know it lowers it, but is the ride going to change? Will it corner better than the sport suspension? Or are Eibachs purely cosmetic? Because I really am just looking to lower for cosmetic reasons only...not really into taking it to the track and flexing my ego (...or flexing my windshield)

Thanks in advance for the responses!
Old 02-26-2009, 11:26 PM
AndrewDDS

I lowered on Eibachs for purely cosmetic reasons as well. The ride is definitely a tad rougher. It's not mind-jarring like a Corvette or a Porsche, but it's also not as smooth as the stock springs. Is it noticeable? Yes. Is it enough that you'll regret the decision? IMO, not at all!! As far as cornering, the body roll is dramatically decreased in hard corners.

On a side-note, if you're doing it purely for cosmetic reasons, then you'll want to do something with the wheels/tires. Stock tires tuck pretty badly after a drop, so I recommend spacers or aftermarket wheels with a more aggressive offset.

And if you're still debating whether or not to drop your G, just ask Sam what the overall reaction was to his car before he dropped it.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:23 AM
SEATOWNBOY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Andrew,

What you mean tires tuck pretty badly? I'm also looking into either the Eibach or H&R springs. Looking at your photos, the results look good with stock rims. Did you use spacers? If so, where? On the actual hub?

Dan

Originally Posted by AndrewDDS
I lowered on Eibachs for purely cosmetic reasons as well. The ride is definitely a tad rougher. It's not mind-jarring like a Corvette or a Porsche, but it's also not as smooth as the stock springs. Is it noticeable? Yes. Is it enough that you'll regret the decision? IMO, not at all!! As far as cornering, the body roll is dramatically decreased in hard corners.

On a side-note, if you're doing it purely for cosmetic reasons, then you'll want to do something with the wheels/tires. Stock tires tuck pretty badly after a drop, so I recommend spacers or aftermarket wheels with a more aggressive offset.

And if you're still debating whether or not to drop your G, just ask Sam what the overall reaction was to his car before he dropped it.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:10 AM
AndrewDDS

Originally Posted by SEATOWNBOY
Andrew,

What you mean tires tuck pretty badly? I'm also looking into either the Eibach or H&R springs. Looking at your photos, the results look good with stock rims. Did you use spacers? If so, where? On the actual hub?

Dan
In those pictures I don't have spacers on, but the tuck isn't really obvious in the pictures. Basically, the fenders stick out past the tires an inch or more. It's not obvious with OEM springs, but once you drop your car then that tuck becomes obvious. Some people on the forum have great before/after pictures explaining the issue, just do a quick search.

I have 15mm Ichiba spacers on the rears right now, and it looks a lot better. My 15mm Ichiba's for the front are being delivered today. I'll post some more pictures next week to show the difference.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:15 PM
n_jay888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
How much did it cost you for the front and back spacers?
Old 02-27-2009, 02:47 PM
AndrewDDS

Originally Posted by n_jay888
How much did it cost you for the front and back spacers?
I bought the first set used for like $100ish. They were such an improvement on the rear, that I decided to pull the trigger on another set direct from Ichiba. Those ended up being like $150ish after tax & shipping.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:17 PM
n_jay888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Will 15mm on the front & 20mm on the back be ok? It's not going to decrease the thread life of the tires with Eibach drop?

Last edited by n_jay888; 02-27-2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:35 PM
Hpauto
Banned

Originally Posted by n_jay888
Will 15mm on the front & 20mm on the back be ok? It's not going to decrease the thread life of the tires with Eibach drop?
Spacers wont cause any decrease in life on tires. They are more for cosmetic purpose to fill the gap between the fender edge to the outter edge of tire for a fuller look. FYI, if you are looking into Eibachs, We have a sale that is ending today, they are 239 shipped. Lowest price around.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:03 PM
jnguyen

Originally Posted by Hpauto
Spacers wont cause any decrease in life on tires. They are more for cosmetic purpose to fill the gap between the fender edge to the outter edge of tire for a fuller look. FYI, if you are looking into Eibachs, We have a sale that is ending today, they are 239 shipped. Lowest price around.
wrong. im selling eibach for 200 shipped
Old 02-27-2009, 04:06 PM
Hpauto
Banned

Originally Posted by jnguyen
LOL my bad Mr Drift King
Old 02-27-2009, 06:05 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Andrew, what's your offset gonna be with the spacers?
Old 02-27-2009, 06:11 PM
AndrewDDS

Stock wheel offset + 15mm.

Don't take that out on my headlights!!!!

No, I have no idea. I never really understood the measurement behind the offset number. All I know is that I will eventually be running Eibach Pro Kit springs, stock wheels with 15mm spacers all around, and 245s up front with 275s out back. However, I just bought a set of brand new sport 19s with tires, so when my current tires wear out I'll run those until they wear out. So I probably won't go all the way to the 245/275 tires for another 25k-30k miles.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:18 PM
AndrewDDS

Originally Posted by jnguyen
Joe, how much crap do you have down there that you're trying to sell?!?! If I had known you had spacers for sale, I would have bought those and had you throw them in the boxes with the wheels/tires. I could have saved $50 by taking those off your hands!! hahaha

Anyway, check cleared on my end. Let me know when you verify it on your end.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:45 AM
jnguyen

Originally Posted by AndrewDDS
Joe, how much crap do you have down there that you're trying to sell?!?! If I had known you had spacers for sale, I would have bought those and had you throw them in the boxes with the wheels/tires. I could have saved $50 by taking those off your hands!! hahaha

Anyway, check cleared on my end. Let me know when you verify it on your end.
haha not much. just JP lip, Eibach springs, and JWT now. sold most my stuff already.

REED, if you want to see the eibach drop. we should meet up. you can see if you like it then if you do. ill sell to you locally cheap. ill sell to you just for the price to take them off my car which is about 100-150(hooking you up cause you local and i dont have to pay shipping fee). also i love it, it so close to stock that you wont even notice it. its the best drop especially if you dont want bad camber and to hide the gap without losing the oem feel. you should jump on this haha