Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Are Blizzaks THAT much better?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 09:04 AM
Frank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are Blizzaks THAT much better?

So after an interesting drive to work this morning I decided that I need to get a separate set of winter tires/rims. I was going to look for a cheap *** set of 18's (they'll fit on a G37S correct?) with blizzak tires since I hear they're pretty awesome.
My question is, are they really that much better? If my car is going to go from really sh**ty in the snow... to just sh**ty, I'm not going to spend a ton of cash on new rims/tires.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:12 AM
HEAVYHITTER

LOL def was a very interesting drive this morning i was driving sideways the whole way....Im in the market as well for tires but i think im gonna go to all season vs blizzaks in hopes to get a little more traction and im gonna go wider 245/275 not that it will help that im going wider i just want the look
Old 01-28-2009, 09:52 AM
AndrewDDS

There are lot of threads about this, and a lot of opinions!! The general consensus that I have picked up is that all-seasons will not make much of a difference in true ice/snow (they help a ton in rain/slush), and dedicated winter/snow tires will help, but the daily drivability still depends very highly on your winter driving experience. Even on Blizzaks, your G will still handle worse than any FWD/AWD/4WD, which makes it harder to drive than most everything else on the road in the winter.

As for 18' rims, there are very few that will fit over the BBKs on the Sport model!! If you're going to 18' rims, you'll have to do some research and shop around because 90% of them won't fit.

After reading through almost all the threads about winter/snow tires, it seems that most of us who live in the Northeast/Midwest/Northwest/Canuckistan have decided to just buy a cheap winter beater. Winter wheels/tires are going to set you back $1500 at the least and $2k+ for anything nice. But with the economy the way it is, you can pick up a drivable 4WD SUV or pickup for around $3k.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:26 AM
EVO-to-G

From my experience with blizzaks i can say "yes" they do make a hell of a difference.

But these where on my Evo. The first winter with the Evo i stayed on the stock tires...which was terrible cause those things are strictly summer performance tires. I was all over the place and couldn't stop...even with AWD and snow mode on.
Some people don't understand that its all about the tires...not if you AWD or snow mode or any of that good stuff.
The next winter i got a set of blizzaks and it felt like a whole different car...gripped like crazy in the snow.

Now obviously considering the G is rear wheel drive its not gonna be as good but it definitely will be a nice improvement.

And for wheels...i would say go for the Sport Edition A7's...there cheap, look decent, and have been tested to fit the G37S by some people on here i believe.

I was actually gonna go for the Blizzaks/Sport Edition A7's this winter but the A7's where on back order till after winter lol and actually i just checked they still are. All 4 blizzaks and A7's would run you a little over $1k...which is not bad at all.
Check them out here: http://www.tirerack.com/cart/HoldingArea.jsp
Old 01-28-2009, 10:36 AM
AndrewDDS

Originally Posted by EVO-to-G
And for wheels...i would say go for the Sport Edition A7's...there cheap, look decent, and have been tested to fit the G37S by some people on here i believe.
That is definitely the combination that a lot of people on here have gone with. The wheels are inexpensive, and the tires are highly-rated. If you're gonna buy a set, that's the set to buy.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:09 AM
Frank

Thanks for the tips. I was reading a few threads about this but like you guys said... there was a lot of conflicting info. I've been considering buying a beater truck for the winter..plus I can use it for towing and stuff. The problem isnt just the price of the truck but also the insurance. Even basic liability will cost me Almost $1k per year. on top of $3k for a beater... plus any regular repairs that it will surely need.

Still debating it.... but thanks for the advice.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:14 AM
Frank

Got another question about the rims/tires. Was looking on tire rack and it said that I would either need to get new tire pressure monitoring units for each rim or move them from the existing rims.
Is it hard to swap them? Can I just go without them?
Old 01-28-2009, 12:12 PM
AndrewDDS

Most guys go without the TPMS for their winter tires. Swapping them out is not a simple procedure. And shop around on the insurance! I have a 2000 4Runner that I have basic liability on for only $100/yr. My annual insurance is actually lower on my Infiniti because of my 4Runner! I guess there's this algorithm they use where they take the average of the two cars, and for me, the liability on my 4Runner dropped the rates on my Infiniti.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:36 PM
Frank

Originally Posted by AndrewDDS
Most guys go without the TPMS for their winter tires. Swapping them out is not a simple procedure. And shop around on the insurance! I have a 2000 4Runner that I have basic liability on for only $100/yr. My annual insurance is actually lower on my Infiniti because of my 4Runner! I guess there's this algorithm they use where they take the average of the two cars, and for me, the liability on my 4Runner dropped the rates on my Infiniti.

Yeah, my carrier offers a multi car discount but It's still pretty expensive. I'm in NY where insurance is pretty expensive. Also, I had a car stolen, and I totalled my bike in the past 3 years. Not to mention a ticket for talking on my cell phone while driving. Good thing I got the bluetooth now
Old 01-28-2009, 12:39 PM
vinnys coupe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
maybe next winter ill buy blizzaks, i hear they get the job done..

And yes, the set you should buy is the a7's, since your not going to be able to find a used set with decent rims that clear our brakes, but if soo i guess pick them up, but i couldent find a set.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:20 PM
Frank

FYI.... I've been doing some research and I've been told that Thule makes tire cables called "K-Summit". I was told that they will fit the 19" rims on the G37s. Only problem is that they cost $400 but thats cheaper than 2 snow tires. And they'll last much longer. Supposedly they don't make contact with the rims so they wont get scratched.
They are aslo self adjusting and super easy to install... at least that's what it says on their site. I'm waiting for some more info. If I end up getting them I'll post a review.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:24 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
OK i have driven my G with Michelin pilot alpins and blizzacks. And let me tell you the blizzacks are shlt. I will be selling them this summer and going back to michelin.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:29 PM
heff

BLIZZAKS FTW!!! I got em and they are great IMO Ive drove a lot of vehicles in the winter and winter here in Saskatchewan are brutal!!! compared to the other cars/trucks i have driven the G handles almost as good as them! the VDC helps a F load but i dont really mind winter driving the G, its not as bad as i thought! but BLIZZAK prices FTL FOR SURE!
Old 01-28-2009, 04:53 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^^ have you tried the pilot alpins? They are 100X better.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:03 PM
frcefed

I've got nokian Hakk 5's studded and love them, awesome handling,stopping with these tires. My last car was an STi and I don't even miss the AWD of it. By far the best winter tire I've used in my life.

Quick Reply: Are Blizzaks THAT much better?