Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Dissapointed with the G37S Brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 04:34 PM
DanMardik

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Dissapointed with the G37S Brakes.

Took the car for a nice solo canyon run this weekend. At first everything was great. The car was performing great. Handling, power, braking was all up to par. About 5 minutes into the run I started smelling brakes, that was followed by a bad shake in the steering wheel when I would apply the brakes. Almost the same feel you would have if you're rotors are warped.

I slowed down and let everything cool off. Then I started up again and the brakes were now performing like before with no vibration and/or shake.

So it's safe to say that the vibration of the rotors itself was caused by the overheating of the factory G37S rotors. Looks like they are using some fairly CHEAP materials on the rotor compound of our S cars. I've never had any of my other cars have this problem before.

Just thought I would share my disappointment.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:37 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
5 minutes is pretty fast... you sure it's not another problem? i remember road and track did test on the brakes and it never faded... but the 3 series did...
Old 01-12-2009, 04:38 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
How fast were you going? Were you on some steep inclines?
Do you notice any light vibration at normal speeds?
It might also be the pads. The dealership replaced my rotors and pads at 10k because they were vibrating a bit during normal driving. I haven't experienced anything quite as you have described though.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:42 PM
DanMardik

Originally Posted by aliiin
5 minutes is pretty fast... you sure it's not another problem? i remember road and track did test on the brakes and it never faded... but the 3 series did...

I didn't say anything about brake FADE. If you read again you will see that I specifically said Vibration or shake.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:45 PM
DanMardik

Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
How fast were you going? Were you on some steep inclines?
Do you notice any light vibration at normal speeds?
It might also be the pads. The dealership replaced my rotors and pads at 10k because they were vibrating a bit during normal driving. I haven't experienced anything quite as you have described though.
I was mostly in the VVEL power range in 3rd gear. About 80-100mph with abrupt slow downs which brought me to about the 40mph range in 2nd gear.

This was definitely not a PAD problem. Pads would not cause a shake. During normal driving all is well.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:53 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DanMardik
Took the car for a nice solo canyon run this weekend. At first everything was great. The car was performing great. Handling, power, braking was all up to par. About 5 minutes into the run I started smelling brakes, that was followed by a bad shake in the steering wheel when I would apply the brakes. Almost the same feel you would have if you're rotors are warped.

I slowed down and let everything cool off. Then I started up again and the brakes were now performing like before with no vibration and/or shake.

So it's safe to say that the vibration of the rotors itself was caused by the overheating of the factory G37S rotors. Looks like they are using some fairly CHEAP materials on the rotor compound of our S cars. I've never had any of my other cars have this problem before.

Just thought I would share my disappointment.

Brake fade that you feel in the pedal is caused by boiling your brake fluid. Brake fade in the pads is initially indicated by the smell, and then lack of stopping power.

In your case, it seems you have gone beyond the temperature threshold of the OEM brake pads. Once you overheated the pads, you had uneven pad transfer, causing the shuddering and shaking you felt.

Remember, the OEM pads are made to be street and daily driver friendly. In your case, I'd recommend some higher temperature pads. Project Mu B-Force comes to mind.

The heat capacity of the OEM Rotors is FAR beyond what you can manage on the stock pads. Akebono is a very reputable brand.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:58 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
i meant vibration or shake i just typed something different
Old 01-12-2009, 05:02 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mike@riverside
Brake fade that you feel in the pedal is caused by boiling your brake fluid. Brake fade in the pads is initially indicated by the smell, and then lack of stopping power.

In your case, it seems you have gone beyond the temperature threshold of the OEM brake pads. Once you overheated the pads, you had uneven pad transfer, causing the shuddering and shaking you felt.

Remember, the OEM pads are made to be street and daily driver friendly. In your case, I'd recommend some higher temperature pads. Project Mu B-Force comes to mind.

The heat capacity of the OEM Rotors is FAR beyond what you can manage on the stock pads. Akebono is a very reputable brand.
^ Dude speaks the troof....
Old 01-12-2009, 06:00 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
or maybe invest on a good driving lesson at a track. it's common for "newbs" to come too hot before a corner and over brake...i had no such experience with the sport 14" akebonos at streets of willow last year. the brakes held up very well...though i did smell them...
Old 01-12-2009, 06:27 PM
Keng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
80-100mph slow down to 40mph is LOT of heat
Old 01-12-2009, 06:40 PM
DanMardik

Originally Posted by cvt
or maybe invest on a good driving lesson at a track. it's common for "newbs" to come too hot before a corner and over brake...i had no such experience with the sport 14" akebonos at streets of willow last year. the brakes held up very well...though i did smell them...
Wish this were the case but my first time at Willow Springs big track was when I was 16 years old. I'm now 26 and have been doing weekend track events for 10 years now. Definitely didn't have to do with my driving. It had more to do with the generation of heat as stated above.

The canyons in which I was running are very narrow and high speed with the occasional hair pin or tight corner which can really drop your speed down hence causing all of the heat on the brakes. I've been to these canyons over a dozen times with other cars and never experienced this problem. I've experienced major fade but never vibration.

Funny thing is once everything has cooled down there is not a hint of vibration left.. really odd.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Again, irregular pad transfer, which is being scraped off when you get back down to temp.

How heavy were your other cars? Keep in mind the G is a heavy car.

Where were you? Malibu? Maybe you should join us for some cruises
Old 01-12-2009, 07:10 PM
w0ady

cant really tell without driving/inspecting your car for sure but id tend to agree with mike on the pad issue. i never expect much out of stock pads and since you obviously know what you're doing when you say it wasnt fade, then id address the pads before you blame the rotors.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:13 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

need better pads. i recommend Maxi Pads lol!! Get mu pads
Old 01-12-2009, 09:57 PM
bigpei

i switched pads to PMU bforce and the brakes are alot better. it was never the akebono's problem, it was the pads for the fading problems

Quick Reply: Dissapointed with the G37S Brakes.