Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Dissapointed with the G37S Brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 10:40 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DanMardik
Wish this were the case but my first time at Willow Springs big track was when I was 16 years old. I'm now 26 and have been doing weekend track events for 10 years now. Definitely didn't have to do with my driving. It had more to do with the generation of heat as stated above.

The canyons in which I was running are very narrow and high speed with the occasional hair pin or tight corner which can really drop your speed down hence causing all of the heat on the brakes. I've been to these canyons over a dozen times with other cars and never experienced this problem. I've experienced major fade but never vibration.

Funny thing is once everything has cooled down there is not a hint of vibration left.. really odd.
haven't been to the "Big" track in a while since my near accident...but I do love Streets of Willow (superstitious). I do see how your brakes could falter under those conditions but you must be going ***** out!

5 minutes is still a bit quick for them to fade. I ran streets of willow at 9/10ths for a good 20 minutes and did not have any sort of brake failure, vibration, etc.

the fact that you didn't suffer vibration after is also

btw-which canyon did you run?
Old 01-12-2009, 10:45 PM
SilverBullet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have went on a few canyon cruises with mike up at Palomar. I do not push the G very hard, but I am heavy footed when it comes to braking, and I have never felt the G brakes fade. They stay strong and tight the entire time. I was actually very surprised with them. I think they are pretty good.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:05 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Dan, you live in Irvine. Feel free to join us
Old 01-20-2009, 02:40 PM
DanMardik

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike
Dan, you live in Irvine. Feel free to join us
Mike, yea I live in Irvine.. I would love to join you guys!

PM me some details?
Old 01-20-2009, 02:47 PM
DanMardik

Did you guys resurface the rotors before changing pads?
Old 01-20-2009, 03:18 PM
Wezbian
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have taken my g up in the mountains and know what youre talking about. Because i know the vibrations will occur, i depend heavyily on down shifting. I am interested in the PMU B force and was wondering if we have to resurface before changing the brakes too...
Old 01-20-2009, 07:04 PM
DanMardik

Originally Posted by Wezbian
I have taken my g up in the mountains and know what youre talking about. Because i know the vibrations will occur, i depend heavyily on down shifting. I am interested in the PMU B force and was wondering if we have to resurface before changing the brakes too...
Still no answer on the resurfacing part..

I have a feeling the answer is a yes though.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:28 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

you are going to need to resurface the rotors. if you put new pads on warped or uneven rotors you are going to damage your new pads.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:57 AM
mikelr

Originally Posted by solopresident
you are going to need to resurface the rotors. if you put new pads on warped or uneven rotors you are going to damage your new pads.

A quick note on pad replacement and rotor resurfacing....

It is perfectly alright to swap out pads without resurfacing IF,
there is not rotor warpage (9 times out of 10 your rotors aren't warped). In the case of DanMardik it sounds like a pad transfer issue due to operating outside the OEM pads range.
Most modern brake rotors are not produced with enough material to allow them to be safely resurfaced (car manufactures trying to keep wieght down and fuel economy up). There are two ways to safely change pads on a rotor with an uneven transfer layer applied,
1- remove rotor and lightly sand surface with a garnet sand paper or disk (DO NOT USE ALUMI-OXIDE)
2- change out the pads and drive the car easy for the first couple hundred miles, as long as you don't get the pads fully up to temp no new transfer layer will be applied and the higher temp (race) pad will generally be more abrasive removing the old transfer layer down to bare iron before long.

Happy Braking Guys
Old 01-24-2009, 07:21 PM
majin ssj eric

I had this exact problem during a mountain run up in north GA and on the track at Road Atlanta. The steering wheel started to shimmy really bad after just a couple laps. It was so bad I was sure the rotors were warped but after things cooled down the brakes went right back to normal. During everyday driving there is never any problem, but if you really put some heat into them, they start shaking badly. The instructor at the BMW event at Road Atlanta said it was almost certainly a pad issue and not to worry about it unless the shimmy shows up in normal driving...
Old 01-25-2009, 12:38 PM
w0ady

^good info. think im going to upgrade pads when i powdercoat my calipers.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:29 PM
Loi

Originally Posted by w0ady
^good info. think im going to upgrade pads when i powdercoat my calipers.
hey woady, what pads you getting? My oem pads are bad and I need to find new pads. which you recommend"?
Old 01-26-2009, 09:09 PM
w0ady

Originally Posted by Loi
hey woady, what pads you getting? My oem pads are bad and I need to find new pads. which you recommend"?
no clue since ive never used any others. probably just whatever sharif can get when i go up to forged.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:35 AM
aseo89

i would buy new brakes...but its like 4-5 grand
Old 04-20-2009, 12:34 AM
johnnyg

Get the rotors turned . Complain to the dealer and they do it fo free. Remember the G35 had accelerated break wear problems. They do not want that issue again.

Quick Reply: Dissapointed with the G37S Brakes.