Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

easy to damage stock 19in rims?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 10:51 AM
jhp012

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
easy to damage stock 19in rims?

I went into get a quote yesterday and the salesperson mentioned tire maintenance package. I believe the package replaces your wheel and tire in case you damage them by going over potholes or so.

Does anyone else have this? the price was 750$

How easy is it to bend or damage the stock 19s on the G37s? I believe they would be strong rims. but the profile is quite low.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Rip off! Don't do it. Likelihood of damaging via pothole is slim although it can happen. Only know of one member that has thus far. If it covered curbing your wheels then I'd say go for it, but it doesn't.

9/10 Point of Sale items are a rip off. They make it sound appealing while you are signing all the papers and get you to commit.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:58 AM
elite

Originally Posted by jhp012
I went into get a quote yesterday and the salesperson mentioned tire maintenance package. I believe the package replaces your wheel and tire in case you damage them by going over potholes or so.

Does anyone else have this? the price was 750$

How easy is it to bend or damage the stock 19s on the G37s? I believe they would be strong rims. but the profile is quite low.

Is it called GAP insurance?
That's worth it. Cost me $250. One flat tire and it pays for itself.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:00 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by elite
Is it called GAP insurance? That's worth it. Cost me $250. One flat tire and it pays for itself.
No this is package that Infiniti offers in the event you bend or crack a wheel. You would have benefited, but the likelihood of a person messing up a wheel and bending it is slim.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:03 AM
elite

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Blackjack
No this is package that Infiniti offers in the event you bend or crack a wheel. You would have benefited, but the likelihood of a person messing up a wheel and bending it is slim.
Depends how he drives. Get cut-off >check a curb at 50mph rim is done.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Curb rash isn't covered. Now if the rim is severely damaged that's different, but hell... That's what I pay my insurance company for.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:09 AM
elite

Originally Posted by Blackjack
Curb rash isn't covered. Now if the rim is severely damaged that's different, but hell... That's what I pay my insurance company for.
Is your deductible really worth the price of the rim? Granted the rim is $1000
Old 12-10-2008, 11:15 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Depending on what your deductible is... Mine is $500 collision and $100 comprehensive. And normally you can get it covered under comprehensive unless it was the result of an accident.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I got run into a curb by a drunk going about 45. Curb rash on 2 wheels, no structural damage.

You can have almost any wheel fixed (even most bends and cracks) and refinished for $125 each. Pay a few more dollars a year (I think mine was and extra $65/year for $0 deductible) on your comprehinsive policy and it covers not only damaged wheels but anything non collison related that happens to your vehicle, not just damaged wheels and tires. Hmm... lets see an extra $65/year to cover everything or $750 to maybe replace a bent rim. You do the math and explain to me how that's worth it.

Wheel and tire protection is a huge win for Infiniti and a 100% FAIL for the owner. Don't buy it.

Or if you insist on throwng money at somebody, just send me the $750 and I'l fix or replace your wheel if you damage it.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:22 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah, what all these guys said. It's darn near a complete scam.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:37 AM
dwdaewu

Its not just the wheels though for this warranty, its also door dings and windshield. I got it cuz i drive around in philly all the time and got plenty of flats and a few door dings that my dealer got out for me, i'm happy i got the warranty or else i would've kept paying for door dings+flats like crazy
Old 12-10-2008, 11:41 AM
bullrun

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was very skeptical at first but I ended up getting it. The package also covers tires, so if one shreds, you're covered. On my 06 BMW, 2 tires (w/18" rims) shredded on me causing rim damage so I figure if I drive a lot and a tire shreds, I can have the whole thing replaced.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:02 PM
AndrewDDS

I bought the wheel/tire insurance package, but I only paid $400 for it (everyone advised me against it, but I read all the fine print). It already almost paid for itself when I picked up a nail a few months back. I took it to the dealership and they repaired my tire completely free of charge. I know that's not a $400 repair, but if I pick up another nail or have a blowout, then it payed for itself. And I don't have to be freaked out about avoiding potholes now. I figured $400 for piece of mind wasn't a bad deal.

Just make sure that the package you buy covers things you actually think might happen to you. It definitely doesn't cover curb rash, but if you think you might have a blowout or pick up a nail once or twice, then go for it. Definitely don't pay $750 though!!!
Old 12-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dwdaewu
Its not just the wheels though for this warranty, its also door dings and windshield. I got it cuz i drive around in philly all the time and got plenty of flats and a few door dings that my dealer got out for me, i'm happy i got the warranty or else i would've kept paying for door dings+flats like crazy
No... The Tire & Wheel insurance is for your tires and wheels only. You must have gotten something else.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:09 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I got run into a curb by a drunk going about 45. Curb rash on 2 wheels, no structural damage.

You can have almost any wheel fixed (even most bends and cracks) and refinished for $125 each. Pay a few more dollars a year (I think mine was and extra $65/year for $0 deductible) on your comprehinsive policy and it covers not only damaged wheels but anything non collison related that happens to your vehicle, not just damaged wheels and tires. Hmm... lets see an extra $65/year to cover everything or $750 to maybe replace a bent rim. You do the math and explain to me how that's worth it.

Wheel and tire protection is a huge win for Infiniti and a 100% FAIL for the owner. Don't buy it.

Or if you insist on throwng money at somebody, just send me the $750 and I'l fix or replace your wheel if you damage it.
Exactly my points! Great minds thinks alike.

Quick Reply: easy to damage stock 19in rims?