Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Here are my ALIGNMENT specs on fully settled EIBACH springs, no camber kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 07:08 PM
07BlackG35Stud

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jweb3
You're going to wear those tires out quickly! -2.0 camber in the back is more than enough to do that. I suggest u get a camber kit. My fronts are at -2.0 camber and my tire wear is extremely uneven, but I have no choice since the front camber kit isn't out yet. I had -4.1 camber in the back before the camber kit lol and right now i'm at -1.2 and it's perfect handling-wise.

But by all means if you like the negative camber go for it.
Erroneous - I know plenty of cars that come from factory with a -2.0 camber.

What determines your bad wear is mostly toe....go get yours checked. Now if you're running -4.0 camber then your car has issues.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:10 PM
07BlackG35Stud

Originally Posted by Ahujadaddy
^^ great explanation. thanks for sharing. i wd hope thats right... for my sake. lol

i DID ask em to gimmie most aggressive toe while in spec. if this configuration helps in conjunction with negative camber, then awesome! i told em, i like to turn and make full use of this car and i would AutoX maybe once or twice a year at most. They set it up accordingly.
Trust me, for not having a camber kit, you have the best possible setup an alignment could give you. And yes, -2.0 camber in the rear is completely acceptable. Lots of people run this kind of camber on purpose, and some cars even come this way from factory. It's not too much at all, and gives ya great handling. Again, just watch your toe...a little bit of negative camber will only affect your wear MINIMALLY.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:23 AM
vinnys coupe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So basically all that is required is an alignment just to straight out the toe, other then that the neg camber is going to wear down your tired, but very minimal, in other words no camber needed.

Correct?
Old 12-05-2008, 09:27 AM
Ahujadaddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think its a matter of like or dislike at this point... sorta like w/e makes u sleep better at night.

you can get the negative camber on the rears back within spec... the fronts seem to be varied but not TTOO bad out of spec. I felt ok running a lil extra in the rear... and im not worried.

Toe is really what wears out tires in a hurry, i'll keep an eye on it and time can only tell i guess. If anything, the COSTCO near me mounts and balances for $40 per car. Luckily the manager there is nice to me, and is a car enthusiast as well. So he knows what it means not to scratch the rims. He always does the tire work on my car himself. Soo, i'll just get a LEFT <----> RIGHT roation done from him by dismounting and remount tires.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:31 AM
Ahujadaddy

i should also mention that i now have all season tires with a tread rating of 500... so thats pretty hard and will last. If u have the soft, soft 140 tread rated OEM tires, then maybe ud start to see the uneven wear after a good amount of time.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:50 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I went a while with my rear camber and toe on crackrock and I burned through a set of brand new Toyos that i put on the first on AUGUST... so my rear tires lasted me 4 months... be very careful when aligning your rears or you will have bald boyz in a matter of months!! Im still shocked my tires are gone after 4 months...
Old 12-05-2008, 10:11 AM
AndrewDDS

Originally Posted by Ahujadaddy
...i'll just get a LEFT <----> RIGHT roation done from him by dismounting and remount tires.
I thought the OEM tires couldn't be swapped out left<-->right? I know they're unidirectional, and I know they can't simply be rotated, but I was also told that they can't be dismounted/remounted left<-->right either. It sounded crazy to me at the time because they certainly look symmetrical, and I was planning on doing the same thing, but is it acceptable or just a cheap work-around for negative camber tire wear?
Old 12-05-2008, 10:13 AM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
he said he dis mounted the tires so he took them off the rims.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:31 AM
AndrewDDS

^
Originally Posted by AndrewDDS
...I was also told that they can't be dismounted/remounted left<-->right either...
Read the whole question, then make comment.

<.......Canadians......>
Old 12-05-2008, 10:40 AM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
well then oyu did not answer him either then and i will.

OK here is the deal they are directional tires so you can go left right only if you dismount them off the rims. The only reason a tire shop might tell you not to do this is there is a inside and out side to all tires. In the tire manufacturing biz it is called the reference and anti-reference side. The tire has tighter finishing tolerances on the anti reference side of the tire so that is the side of the tire you would want pointed to the street. However 99% of the time there is no difference in the quality between the 2 sides. They are balanced and grinned at factory with the intention that the anti ref side will be pointed out to the street. So long story short if you dismount them you will be ok and most tire shopes don't even know this.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:57 PM
AndrewDDS

^ Excellent information!! Thank you!!
Old 12-05-2008, 02:22 PM
Stanced370Z

Originally Posted by 07BlackG35Stud
Erroneous - I know plenty of cars that come from factory with a -2.0 camber.

What determines your bad wear is mostly toe....go get yours checked. Now if you're running -4.0 camber then your car has issues.
I fixed the -4 camber in the back. I had that much negative camber bc of how low the springs dropped the car. I am in spec right now, and my toe is also in spec in the front and the rear. I have -2.0 camber in the front and my tires ARE wearing unevenly even with the toe being in factory spec. It definitely has to be the negative camber. What else would it be?
Old 12-05-2008, 06:20 PM
w0ady

i never said positive toe is good. you want 0.0 toe for the most even wear. either + or - toe will cause more wear on your tires. you can run high negative camber with 0 toe and be fine.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:43 PM
Skyline-LEXY

^^ so do you want + toe with - camber or neutral toe with - camber to even out the tire wear? I was getting confussed...
Old 12-14-2008, 11:41 AM
07BlackG35Stud

Originally Posted by vinnys coupe
So basically all that is required is an alignment just to straight out the toe, other then that the neg camber is going to wear down your tired, but very minimal, in other words no camber needed.

Correct?
Correct...again, it all depends on how you drive and what type of cornering you do, but negative camber is ok as long as toe is corrected. Unless you're driving a cadillac, most cars come from factory set with a negative camber already.

As I previously stated, some cars come stock with a negative camber higher than the one that the Eibach's give you...it's a matter of making sure that all the alignment components are reasonably within spec, mainly toe.

I had about a year out of my first set of tires after dropping my previous car (G35 coupe) on Eibach's and NO camber arms, thanks to the alignment.

Quick Reply: Here are my ALIGNMENT specs on fully settled EIBACH springs, no camber kit