Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Brakes squeak when I reverse. Anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 01:04 PM
ddominator1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow! this seems like a complete nationwide epidemic.. i have my car at infiniti for same problemo! As usual they are claiming that it is completely normal due to pad composition and "rust" on rotors.. whatever! They will tru rotors and clean up pads for fre but .. break wear is not covered under warr. started happening at around 17k mi have 23 k now and getting louder.. woke up hte neighbors yesterday.. thinking i should print out all these damn complaints and toos them in front of service..

Prob will end up purchasing new slotted rotors and pads...
Old 12-17-2009, 03:54 AM
Da Hashi

yeah normal with big brakes ....i have 40k and once in awhile itll do it in reverse only when they were cold.....brake harder!! lmao i got no probs with brakes
Old 12-17-2009, 08:11 PM
l2awin

Have this too... it'd be nice to get a TSB for the sport brakes.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:29 PM
GPR-37s
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the same thing going on...
Old 12-17-2009, 08:51 PM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dealer did acknowledge the problem but did not know what was causing it. He said my pads had plenty of meat left at 15,000 miles. He said it might be due to moisture after over night but it happens multiple times during the day. The car just has to be sitting for awhile and it happens.

They did not do anything to correct it as they had no idea what to do. I just left it at that since nobody on the forum seemed to get a fix from a dealer anyway.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:38 PM
soapman72

At about how many miles does this start happening for most people? Mine aren't squeaking yet, but I have about 1000 miles on the new car. Not looking forward to ugly noises from such a nice car.

BTW..... Large rotors have nothing to do with it. FIXED calipers with 4 pistons may be the cause though. I never looked close enough, but the front calipers do not appear to be the floating kind. If the factory doesn't install anti squeal compound, or some sort of shim between the piston and the brake pad, ANY brakes will squeal....
Old 02-23-2010, 10:53 PM
hebguy03
Registered Member

Originally Posted by soapman72
At about how many miles does this start happening for most people? Mine aren't squeaking yet, but I have about 1000 miles on the new car. Not looking forward to ugly noises from such a nice car.

BTW..... Large rotors have nothing to do with it. FIXED calipers with 4 pistons may be the cause though. I never looked close enough, but the front calipers do not appear to be the floating kind. If the factory doesn't install anti squeal compound, or some sort of shim between the piston and the brake pad, ANY brakes will squeal....

I'm glad I'm not the only one. It started right around when the cold weather started so I thought it was just due to being cold.

My car didn't exhibit this when brand new. It was at about 4,000 - 4,500 miles when it started happening every day when I back out of the garage. My neighbors know when I leave every morning!

I'm also under the opinion that this shouldn't be considered "normal" for a $40K+ car. Heck, the brakes on my 10 year old Toyota Solara never squealed like this. <insert toyota gas pedal joke here>

Last edited by hebguy03; 02-23-2010 at 10:57 PM. Reason: wanted to add more
Old 02-23-2010, 11:14 PM
EZDozzit
No Soliciting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the problem as well, when reversing. My service advisor told me they have instructions from Infiniti not to resolve if the noise only occurs in reverse, since this is normal. However, it can be embarrassing when you're leaving work (or other place) in your $40K plus Infiniti and the darn thing is squeaking. I'll tell you one thing though. The brake dust that comes off these pads is not nearly as bad as those on the Lexus. My IS350's front wheels get really nasty after just a few days of driving.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:34 AM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Infiniti has a laundry list of issues that are real problems but they classify then as 'normal'. who the hell at Infiniti decides that certain issues are normal and others are not.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:00 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Infinity says the squeaking is caused by 'glazing' that occurs on the sports brakes from a buildup of powder or somthing like that. Every infiniti tech I've talked to said that hard braking every now and then should cure it so once in a while just back up fast and brake super hard and it should alleviate the
problem
Old 02-24-2010, 10:23 AM
The Jewbag

IDK I had my pads replaced and shims installed due to this and now my brakes squeak even when I'm going forward....and it's REALLY loud.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Loi

break squeaking sucks! and embarassing!
Old 03-13-2010, 08:51 PM
rxhinton

mine do too. I asked the dealer about it twice and they said most all do it and there is no fix. I just make sure the Bose is cranked before I drive in reverse
Old 03-14-2010, 05:07 PM
G35Cfrenzy

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
OMG....you guys are all getting your panties bunched up over nothing! put your car in reverse a few times going 20 mph and slam on the brakes...this will will surely knock off some of the glazing that shows up after 10-15,000 miles of forward driving and help reduce the possibility of squeeling. The squeel doesn't inherently mean there is anything technically wrong with your brakes....just some glaze buildup which IS normal on all braking systems....and big deal it's a $40,000+ car...tell me a $100,000 mercedes doesn't ever have a squeek or squeel from the brakes...
Stop crying over nothing and move on...
Old 03-14-2010, 05:31 PM
levin91e

Originally Posted by G35Cfrenzy
OMG....you guys are all getting your panties bunched up over nothing! put your car in reverse a few times going 20 mph and slam on the brakes...this will will surely knock off some of the glazing that shows up after 10-15,000 miles of forward driving and help reduce the possibility of squeeling. The squeel doesn't inherently mean there is anything technically wrong with your brakes....just some glaze buildup which IS normal on all braking systems....and big deal it's a $40,000+ car...tell me a $100,000 mercedes doesn't ever have a squeek or squeel from the brakes...
Stop crying over nothing and move on...
Exactly, I pretty much said the same thing when this thread first opened, and I can't believe people are still posting about a little squeel. This is normal people, get over it.

Quick Reply: Brakes squeak when I reverse. Anyone else?