Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Drop/Camber/Spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 10:49 AM
SirFer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drop/Camber/Spacers?

I'm sure I'll get referred to the search feauture or something, but I figured I'd ask since I've got a unique situation. I've got some money saved up and want to do some work to my G. Problem is, my parents don't want me doing anything engine/transmission wise, which is fine, I'm plenty happy with my performance as it is now. So I'm thinking of going with a drop, and some spacers to make the stock wheels stick out a little more. (I'm getting them powdercoated black next week so right now I don't feel the need for new aftermarket wheels.) I live in the mountains so I thought that these mods might make the twisties that much more fun. The only problem though is that the last mile up to my house is fairly steep, and gravel, no pavement. My driveway is particularly steep, and doesn't give a whole lot of room to go in at an angle. So what kind of effect on ground clearance am I looking at if I go with the drop? Can anyone recommend one that will help close those wheelwell gaps and improve handling but not make me scrape the **** out of my car all the way to my house? I was thinking about putting a lip kit on but I don't think that's gonna be an option for a while....And if I get the drop, what am I gonna need to do as far as a camber kit if anything? Thanks guys.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:58 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Go with the Eibach Prokit. Drop is only 1" max and wont even need camber kit if you dont want to. For spacers there are several brands but the Eibachs for a 350Z fit perfect and you will want 15mm in the rear and 10mm in the front. Make sure whatever spacers you get that they are hubcentric and come with the longer studs.

Oh and search!! JK...good luck.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:02 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

I have the Tein H-Tech springs with no camber kit. Drop is way better than stock and definately improves the handling. I just did 750 miles in some real twisty,hilly,gravel,dirt,new asphlat,etc.etc. in central Wisconsin. I would recommend the H-techs. I have the stock wheels and like them with the drop. No spacers for me though. Good luck and enjoy your G

Old 09-23-2008, 11:18 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I have Tanabe NFS210 and the drop is the slightest available I believe - 1" rear and .7" front. The ride is very near stock and the handling is somewhat crisper. However, since you have a steep grade to ascend/descend every day and a particularly steep driveway, I'm not sure about dropping your car at all as it's already got pretty low clearance. You may scrape even if you take it at the best possible angle. I can almost guarantee that if you drop it at all and do any type of lip you will regret wasiting your money because you will definitely scrape or crack it if you can't take a very severe angle getting up your driveway. I'm not trying to **** on your plans, but I'd hate for you to waste your money on something that might not work out so well. I guess the only way for you to know is to try it. Good luck.

KidCane's suggestions on spacers are correct.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:31 AM
SirFer

Ya that's the only problem... I think I would probably just barely make it up without scraping, but like you said it wouldn't be fun to drop all the money then find out I either have to get rid of the drop or scrape and crack everything. I think for now I might just get the spacers, then next time I'm up at the house and have some time I'll just measure my clearance at key spots and then go from there. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:49 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

If you can go at an angle in the driveway that will help, but your drive may not be the only issue as BB says. My modest drop has encountered a couple "crunches" so you need to be very careful out there.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:16 AM
VONYC

lol my parents are the same they didnt want me doing any engine mods =(

yes i agree with kidcane..

eibach pro kit.. gives it a cute drop .. just cute.. =p

its good to go up ****t thats steep and stuff so you wont scrape..

or

you can go for looks but you need to be very careful how you go up stuff ... i have tien s techs .. check it out

i take turns like nothing now.. its great ..

Thats how 15mm spacers look on the back wheels, i only have them in the back =) if you drop your car also get the SPC rear camber kit... i have negative camber there cuz i havent taken it to get aligned or fixed we did it by eye.. pretty close i must say ... or you can let your tires wear out cuz the stock rims fit up to 275 in the back ... im going with stocks on 265 in the back its going to look sick =)

so it all depends on what you like.. oh btw .. i recommend the front splitter greatly !!!

gives your car a nice sporty look, also with the drop it protects your bumper because its polyurethane which is a very forgiving material ... so if you scrape it or slam it .. it doesnt matter cuz it bends easily without breaking and its all black inside and outside so you cant tell if it is scratched ..

GL let us know what you go with and if you can post a picture of your rims =)

Last edited by VONYC; 09-25-2008 at 01:18 AM.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:20 AM
TerribleONE453

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
post some pics of the driveway... should help us.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:18 AM
SirFer

I'll be home tomorrow afternoon so I'll post some pics of the gravel mile and the driveway for reference.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:20 PM
SirFer

Weater is pretty shoddy so I didn't feel like going down the gravel way. It's no steeper than the driveway, just lots of pretty deep potholes. Here are some pics of the driveway for reference though.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by SirFer; 09-27-2008 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Oops. Messed up the pics.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:32 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I wouldn't drop a car wit5h that driveway, especially if the gravel part has potholes. Just my .02

Beautiful place by the way.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:21 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

^I concur. You will hate it.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:25 PM
SirFer

I was afraid of that... Oh well, guess I'll just have to push for engine mods now haha. Thanks guys.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:21 PM
VONYC

yeah I wouldn't drop ... Nice ****ing house though
Old 09-27-2008, 09:56 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
move out of your house.
Then you can drop it how low you want.