Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

08 G37 6MT Coupe... snow?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 11:31 AM
jdm_inspire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you drive on roads that are cleared often, you might get away with:

Nokian WR G2 ... it's an "all-season" tire with the snowflake (ie extreme winter driving). I had the previous generation WR on my 2002 Acura TL-S ... and those were great for where I lived, but then again, that was a FWD car.

I might go with the WR G2 if the price is right (I spoke to Josh ... and he's based out of Michigan so I could go to his shop if I felt like it!)
Old 12-17-2008, 05:32 PM
DatonaJess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello guys
I got some advise on this thread that my 08 350Z wheels would fit on my G37S

Well I went to go put them on tonight and they will not clear on the front two wheels.
There is a bolt sticking out of the rotors on the front two wheels, and I cannot get the 350 wheel to go flush.

What is this peice and can it be removed
Looking for some help here, I drive this thing everyday and my snows have got to be on there.

PLEASE HELP.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:35 PM
NIGHTLFEphantom

Originally Posted by DatonaJess
Hello guys
I got some advise on this thread that my 08 350Z wheels would fit on my G37S

Well I went to go put them on tonight and they will not clear on the front two wheels.
There is a bolt sticking out of the rotors on the front two wheels, and I cannot get the 350 wheel to go flush.

What is this peice and can it be removed
Looking for some help here, I drive this thing everyday and my snows have got to be on there.

PLEASE HELP.
I think I know what your talking about... Yes, I believe that bolt is removable... I think it was "da mayor" talking about this in a thread... can't remember.. but I think they are removable.. someone else chip in...
Old 12-17-2008, 05:41 PM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
You're better off gettin yourself a winter car. It probably would handle ok with snow tires but why would you risk it. My G is staying warm in the garage and will neva roll in the snow.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:59 AM
NotUrG
Registered Member

Originally Posted by NIGHTLFEphantom
I think I know what your talking about... Yes, I believe that bolt is removable... I think it was "da mayor" talking about this in a thread... can't remember.. but I think they are removable.. someone else chip in...
Yes the bolts are removable. Mine have never been in the car and Ive never had a problem. They took them out when they put my winter rims/tires on. Take them out!
Old 01-09-2009, 11:54 PM
Oggie

You can always consider Dunlop M3's snow tires. They perform much better than Blizzak's in my mind. Particularly when the road is dry and it can corner a bit as well. I have 19's on my car. They are doing quite well this winter.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:57 PM
anh3

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
don't do it unless you have A/S or snow tires, stock tires will get you up on the curb; from person experience
Old 01-19-2009, 09:02 PM
TomG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't drive the G in the snow, it sucks.

Your better off going out and picking up a winter beater for 500$, save the miles and damage on your car.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:32 PM
Retromoe

Its snowing here in nyc, driven 3 times in the snow and it was very scary, I know i shouldn't be doing it but i got things to do!!

1st time, constant slip of the tires, but still made it to where ever i had to be

2nd time, driving up the hill to school around 650 am, my rear end started to slip as i go up the hill while a van was behind me but made it through.

3rd time, this one is serious. i couldn't take the wider roads to get home because some firetrucks were blocking up the road so i take the smaller streets and all, i made my turn, little slip, im approaching a stop sign all of a sudden my brake pedal will not go down or even budge (was working perfectly before, all of a sudden it would NOT budge), while a ford expedition was coming up from the other road, im there trying to get the brake down and it will not go down until i crossed over with out Stopping at the sign, luckily the ford driver was doing a good 20-25 mph or i would've been done, continued to slip on the "black ice" + normal ice and took it easy to get home.

Ever since then, if the roads are covered with snow, I stay my *** home!
Old 01-19-2009, 10:12 PM
AndrewDDS

Originally Posted by Retromoe
Its snowing here in nyc, driven 3 times in the snow and it was very scary, I know i shouldn't be doing it but i got things to do!!
I agree!! Since my winter beater went down, I've been forced to drive my 6MT everyday. The weather in Ohio has been all snow/ice all week. My 4 mile commute to work has become the scariest 10 minutes of my day!!
Old 01-20-2009, 10:31 PM
HP_John

Please get winter tires guys, it's not worth the savings to risk your life. I've owned other RWD cars like the 3-Series & IS, the G has the worst winter handling of them. To be fair, I think this is probably because the G's minimum winter tire size is larger than my other cars.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:37 AM
Dz Nuts

Before I received my winter tire package I was caught in the snow a few times and can say with the summers on you're really at risk. If you needed to stop quickly with the weight of car you would be in a potentially bad situation. Things really seemed to go down hill with anymore than 1 inch of accumulated snow.

As others have also mentioned I would not drive this car in the snow at all with out winter tires. It's not worth the risk to yourself and others.

With the winters you just need to adapt to road conditions. I remember an evening after the winters were on when the ice was horrible. The pick up truck in front of us accelerated just a bit to quickly and slid out of control across the oncoming lane into the ditch on the other side. (2 lane road, we were traveling at less than 40km/h per hour, 20km/h under the posted speed limit).

We were OK, but also were taking it very easy.

Really why risk it?

Just my opinion.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:47 AM
iiiiiekoiiiii

U'll hate ur life, get ur self some blizzaks or seperate winter set...

I have the g37 19s on my car with stock tires, at a full stop, front tires start sliding around for no reason lol